Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Care Degree

Options
  • 13-12-2010 11:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi All!I'm new here and I have a problem. I dropped out of college a few weeks ago and now its getting close to CAO time and I haven't made up my mind. I am seriously thinking of doing either the applied social studies in social care or the early childhood education degree. I'm just wondering has anyone done either of these degrees?Are they worth it?Did you go straight into work after finishing your degree?What masters degrees are available to me if I do the social care course?Am I limited?Would you recommend the social care course?Is there many jobs out there?Really interested in studying psychology too but I didn't get the points...Is there any way I can do this through the social care degree?Can you get into childcare if you do a social care degree?Would I be better off just doing the early childhood education degree?Sorry for all the questions but I don't really know what I want to do with my life and am just doing the research:DWould really appreciate your help.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭ShamrockGirl

Hey Aprilstar,

I'm in my 2nd year of Early Childhood education in Dublin Institute of Technology. I'll try answer the majority of the questions for you. To be honest i'm absolutely loving my course it and all the aspects of it- modules, theory, practice placement. Social Care is also offered in our college and they cover a few of the same modules as the Early Ed's. Going on some of last years graduates I know they went straight into employment, the two courses in our college seem to be well recognised.
    Psychology is a huge part on both the courses and I personally find it really interesting. Not sure if you get into early education jobs after the social care, i'm sure there are aspects of it you can get into.

I know there is one masters offered entitled 'Child, Family and Community Studies', but I don't have much information on it. You might get some of the questions answered here: http://www.dit.ie/socialscienceslaw/ or email one of the representatives i'm sure they would be more than delighted to provide detailed information.

Hope I covered some of your queries, If you have any others q's just send me a PM or something.

Advertisement