Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed- maintenance

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

The story is that i am single mother of 2. Working full time. As my work hours will be reduced from January to 25 per week( part time) i am planing to apply for One Parent Family. I never received any maintenance and i dont want to ask for any money from my ex.
    Question- do i have to seek maintenance when applying for OPF ( even if i dont want to)? As in OPF application form says: "what steps are you taking to get maintenance?"

Thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Why do you not want to seek maintanence from your ex? He has a legal responsibility to provide for his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GarRo247

As far as I know you have to be actively seeking maintenance, if your not, and you can't provide a letter from a solicitor to prove you are you will be refused straight away. It's been years since I was involved in anything like that though.

EDIT: I know its nothing to do with what you were asking but can I ask, why do you think its fine to ask taxpayers money to go to your kids when you wont even look for anything from the father?

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

You do have to seek maintenance yes, but if you don't want any contact with your ex (as many single parents, who knows the background??), you can just say your not in contact and your not entirely sure where he is, give the SW his name and last known address, they can contact him then.

I also think the other posters on this thread should not be so judgemental, especially when we have no idea of the OPs situation or why she doesn't want to ask her ex for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

if you no where he is seek maintenance, as if he gave you say 30 a week the social will take 15 off your payment. But if they find him and get maintenance off him which they will once they find him. He'll have to pay them say 30 and you won't get a penny of this for your children so its in your own benefit to get maintenance off him rather then social. If he refuse bring him to court. You can apply for legal aid or represent yourself.

Advertisement