Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

setting up savings account in norway?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

just wondering is it hard to setup a savings account in norway? and if not how would you go about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,570 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd imagine you would have to be in Norway in person with photo ID to satisfy money laundering legislation when opening the account, after that it should be simple enough transfering money in to the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I was just coming on here to ask about opening one in Sweeden, I am sure there cant be too much difference between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

There are 100's of stories about people opening up bank accounts outside Ireland on the AM deposit forum here: http://www.askaboutmoney.com/forumdisplay.php?f=69

98% likely you will need to travel to Sweden. Then you will need to find a bank that allows non resident accounts.

There are other options like KeyTrade in Belgium where you don't have to go to Belgium in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

Can you open a foreign currency account with one of the Irish banks, I heard that somewhere aswell. At least then your money is not in euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Can you open a foreign currency account with one of the Irish banks, I heard that somewhere aswell. At least then your money is not in euros.

Yeah, PTSB allow retail savers to open GBP, USD, AUD and JPY accounts.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Most banks will do this, but it's worth bearing in mind that there's usually a minimum amount required to open them and the money usually isn't instantly accessible. It'll also still be on the books of the bank where you opened the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

what sort of interest would they pay and would they hold norwegian krone do you think?

Advertisement