Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

info on luger 22 hornet

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭

Lads

Im looking for a bit of info on the manufacturer Luger all i get when i google it is luger pistols..reason im askin is im moving on too a 22-250 and selling the hornet i bought it new bout 2 years ago..any info apreciated for example is this the actual manufacturer or could it be a trade name for another company?????have luger and ruger anythin in common??:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭rock garden

As far as i know there is no connection ruger refers to sturm ruger of conneticut usa. google sturm ruger.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Apart from the fact that they are both German names.And Bill Ruger had German ancestory.There is nothing ASFIK in common.
    The only company that had anything to do with the Luger name in the US was Stoeger Industries in the 80s.
    Even more odd would be a Luger rifle.Luger made around the turn of the 20th century a Luger 9mm carbine,and some odd carbine length pistol for the German Kaiser,as he had a deformed left arm.But apart from that Luger has never made ASFIK a rifle,and esp in .22/250!!Also ASFIK the name Luger is still patented,and the company name Luger still exists.
    Sure you are not getting it mixed up with RUGER??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭lamper35

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that they are both German names.And Bill Ruger had German ancestory.There is nothing ASFIK in common.
    The only company that had anything to do with the Luger name in the US was Stoeger Industries in the 80s.
    Even more odd would be a Luger rifle.Luger made around the turn of the 20th century a Luger 9mm carbine,and some odd carbine length pistol for the German Kaiser,as he had a deformed left arm.But apart from that Luger has never made ASFIK a rifle,and esp in .22/250!!Also ASFIK the name Luger is still patented,and the company name Luger still exists.
    Sure you are not getting it mixed up with RUGER??

grizzly the hornet is the luger make not the 250:D
    yep positive its a luger not a ruger says Luger on the barrel and licenced as a luger ill post a pic

lamper35 wrote: »
    grizzly the hornet is the luger make not the 250:D
    yep positive its a luger not a ruger says Luger on the barrel and licenced as a luger ill post a pic

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk290/hunyerdog/?action=view&current=luger2.jpg
    http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk290/hunyerdog/?action=view&current=luger1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Seems you're not the only person in Ireland with this problem (unless that was you, confusing a .22 mag for a hornet?)

Incidentally Bill Ruger apparently chose the same distinctive grip angle as the Luger pistol for Sturm, Ruger's Standard .22 pistol - their first product. They actually look quite reminicsent of the Luger! I think that's the extent of the conection, and is a coindicence - a guy called Ruger just happened to like that design.

Anyway, I'd try here if I were you - they have a section dedicated to research & identification. Let us know if you find anything out. I'm intrigued by a firearm that Google doesn't know about.

Also, do some Google image searches on Luger - you will see from closeups that the original Luger logo looks nothing like the one on your rifle:

• Advertisement

no wasnt me but ill try that site

Verrryyy Interestinng!!
    Well,its a modern enough design,so I think we can preclude it is anything made by the orginal Luger company.The DWM.:D
    It looks like somone somwhere decided to adapt the Luger name and thumped it onto a few rifles to sell them better.
    Quite possible,as US stores like Wal Mart and Sears do this with tools and what not,and flog them as their own brand.Any pics of proof marks ?Or are they any to be seen on the rifle?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

was told today it was manufactured by sabatti italy for luger which supposedly manufacture firearms for few different companies:confused:

was told today it was manufactured by sabatti italy for luger which supposedly manufacture firearms for few different companies:confused:

had a look at there sight http://www.sabatti.it/dettaglio.php?gruppo=4&categoria=8&id=33 and there rifles are identicle too mine same shape same design so i think i found the answer :D

yep definatley this looks similar too mine http://www.sabatti.it/dettaglio.php?gruppo=4&categoria=8&id=28

Trouble is Luger is a kind of generic term as well.As the LugerP08 pistol has been made by just about every German arms producer up to appx 1944.
    There have been the original DWM,Mauser,Shul versions,etc etc.
    And various other countries that have made copies of it in the last century.
    So there isnt or was any company called Luger,or ever has been.
    Officaly is title was Luger pistol model 1908 9mm parabellum,which was sold to the Deutsche Waffen und Munition Werke,Oberndorf am Neckar.However it was orginally built in 7.63 cal
    Who held it,lost it,sold it on,was coerced bythe 3rd Reich and two wars to share it as a critical defence weapon amongst other gun makers in both wars and in Weimar.

Thats not to say that maybe somwhere ,somone has reseructed the name and has trademarked it for firearms manufacture.Be prepared to see German" Schmeissers" possibly in your gunshop soon as well!:eek:.
    The name "Schmeisser" has been trademarked recently,and they are making fine AR style rifles.Hence,that got me thinking along this line.

Mauser is apprently the last company to make Luger style [P08] pistols on a commercial basis.They stopped in the early 1980s as far as I can gather in research.They also seem to have the patent rights still.Maybe a call to them might shed some light??

So unless maybe Mauser ran these off the production line for Sabatti,and didnt want them to be associated with Mauser for some reason,maybe they in some Teutonic humour decided to call them Luger???:confused::confused:

• Advertisement

Trouble is Luger is a kind of generic term as well.As the LugerP08 pistol has been made by just about every German arms producer up to appx 1944.
    There have been the original DWM,Mauser,Shul versions,etc etc.
    And various other countries that have made copies of it in the last century.
    So there isnt or was any company called Luger,or ever has been.
    Officaly is title was Luger pistol model 1908 9mm parabellum,which was sold to the Deutsche Waffen und Munition Werke,Oberndorf am Neckar.However it was orginally built in 7.63 cal
    Who held it,lost it,sold it on,was coerced bythe 3rd Reich and two wars to share it as a critical defence weapon amongst other gun makers in both wars and in Weimar.

Thats not to say that maybe somwhere ,somone has reseructed the name and has trademarked it for firearms manufacture.Be prepared to see German" Schmeissers" possibly in your gunshop soon as well!:eek:.
    The name "Schmeisser" has been trademarked recently,and they are making fine AR style rifles.Hence,that got me thinking along this line.

Mauser is apprently the last company to make Luger style [P08] pistols on a commercial basis.They stopped in the early 1980s as far as I can gather in research.They also seem to have the patent rights still.Maybe a call to them might shed some light??

So unless maybe Mauser ran these off the production line for Sabatti,and didnt want them to be associated with Mauser for some reason,maybe they in some Teutonic humour decided to call them Luger???:confused::confused:

your guess is as gd as mine the only definate thing i can say is it was bought from sabatti direct.....but great info there grizzly ...the style of my rifle is the same style as sabattis so cud sabattis not have made it :confused: ill contact sabatti and see if i get a reply on it

Verrryyy Interestinng!!
    Well,its a modern enough design,so I think we can preclude it is anything made by the orginal Luger company.The DWM.:D
    It looks like somone somwhere decided to adapt the Luger name and thumped it onto a few rifles to sell them better.
    Quite possible,as US stores like Wal Mart and Sears do this with tools and what not,and flog them as their own brand.Any pics of proof marks ?Or are they any to be seen on the rifle?

there is marks on it looks like a leaf 3crowns and ab:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

My guess is it's made by Zastava

ur definately getting closer with that as the pic on there site has the magazine clip button on the trigger guard which was short in sabatti and the safety is the same too..http://www.zastava-arms.rs/cms/index.php?id=231

Mr.Flibble wrote: »
    My guess is it's made by Zastava

is that there proof marks as above:confused:

Advertisement