Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Influences

• 14-12-2010 12:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples influences are? not just of a photographic type, I really like the work of Sergio Leone in particular the Spaghetti Western styles.

Whats your influence?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'm big into gig photography so my main influence would be stuff I'd see in music magazines or album covers, too many to list. There's a couple of posters here who inspire me to up my game (AnimalRights and Baz, I'm looking at you).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Pretty similar here John, been reading Music/Metal/Rock mags since I can remember and always admired the gig shots they capture. It often amazes me still, how they manage some stunning, energetic shots while obviously in the mix of the crowd. Masters of spontaneous and what some would call crap ambient lighting. They use it to their advantage.

Sadly, I don't have the gear they possess ... yet ... and I don't get out to many gigs, but i would love to do what they do.

other than that, I've always been arty in a way, always been a sketcher/cartoonist through school, and I suppose I've been inspired along the way by various artists/painters/sketchers regarding colour/perspective/ambience etc ... Would love to photograph real life Dali landscapes.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Cook my sock

After a year of learning my camera, I would have to say the likes of rock magazines too, as ive noticed some of the photos im proudest of were gig photos, and I enjoy doing that more than anything else ive done really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Photography - The Americans - robert Frank
    Irish photography - Fergus Bourke

Picasso - the first exhibition that did something to me visually- like an amazing gig

Joe strummer and that DIY punk attitude

Martin Scorsese early 80s movies - Taxi Driver

book - Jack Kerouac and the beats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

thebaz wrote: »
    Joe strummer and that DIY punk attitude

Likey :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

It often amazes me still, how they manage some stunning, energetic shots while obviously in the mix of the crowd. Masters of spontaneous and what some would call crap ambient lighting. They use it to their advantage.

these are the two things that make photography at concerts easier. Us photographers get access to places like the photo pit or the side of the stage. And as for lighting, on stage is very often carefully thought out designed lighting Yes it may be low lighting, but it is still generally really atmospheric once flash is not used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thebaz wrote: »
    pedant hat on - taxi driver came out in 76. unless of course you meant *and* taxi driver, in which case i now look stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

My influences, well I dont do a lot of research, I like to be influenced by my subjects, they are what give me the inspiration for my shots, if I was to say I was influenced by other photographers I would say it would be by photographers here, in particular, as he knows himself, eas who i think consistently provides superb shots, yes I even used the word superb, he has great work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭Lucky23

Want to get into portrait photography and it was solely the work of British photographer Rankin as I feel he gets more from his models than other people and an American photographer Randall Slavin as I love his shots and the way he uses light and colour.

Artwise I love Mark Rothko and generally painters from the abstract expressionalist movement. I'm clearly not into figurative painting even though I love figurative photos which is weird.

Saw some Van Gogh works in Paris and to me they were amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

pedant hat on - taxi driver came out in 76. unless of course you meant *and* taxi driver, in which case i now look stupid.

i just remember starting to watching that trilogy around the early 80s - Taxi Driver; Raging Bull ; King of Comedy -

I have lost count of the times i have watched Taxi Driver, and every time the opening scene blows me away -

bit like Keiths choice of Sergio Leone - i adore the opening to Once upon a time in the West

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Excellent choices, cant say I am influenced by any other photographers more on the movie front and I really admire that they are stuck to one aspect and how they shoot that.

Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Main influence has to be my Uncle.

Yea ,yea I know I cheesey but it's his love of photography that got me into photography.
    Seeing what he can do with his old SLR still amazes me. Heck it's only recently I got him into the digital side of things. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

If I were still doing gig photography I'd be looking *very* closely at Glen Friedman. The guy is a feckin god. I love his stuff..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

my influences, very much technology, music, lyrics, dare i say it, witty puns influence my ideas alot

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

Dave Campbell

Advertisement