Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Grant

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

If i have previously received a grant to complete a level 6 and level 8 course can i receive another grant now 2 years later (at 25) to return to education to do a level 5 or level 6 or level 7 course.

I am currently employed but i am not earning enough to pay for a course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭p28559

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Fiddler

Is that "No" based on fact or is it an angered "No"!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

im afraid its a no based on fact.

If you did a bachelors at Level 8 you can pursue a Higher Diploma and get a grant. Alternatively you can get one at Level 9 or 10. But no, you only get a grant for the first time at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 The Fiddler

I have heard something about a second chance grant, where after 5 years your entitled to another grant. Has anyone any information on this?

• Advertisement

Based on your original post you suggest you finished the course at the level you're looking to go back to do. So no, unfortunately the second chance scheme is for students who didn't complete the course.

As per http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html:
    Have attended but not successfully completed an approved course and are returning following a break of at least 5 years in order to pursue an approved course at the same level in the academic year in question. In this instance, you will be considered a Second Chance Student

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

Dónal wrote: »
    If you did a bachelors at Level 8 you can pursue a Higher Diploma and get a grant. Alternatively you can get one at Level 9 or 10. But no, you only get a grant for the first time at that level.

Donal- do you know where I can find that info re doing the Higher Diploma and getting a grant after doing a bachelors at level 8 ?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

studentfinance.ie has more or less all the info you can find about grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭qdawg86

It doesn't unfortunately- I've spent hours on the net (co co website, studentfinance, citizen's advice) and I can't find any reference to moving from level 8 honors degree to level 8 post grad Higher Diploma.

I also have numerous other questions that student finance doesn't cover, but I won't go into them now.

If you have the link you are referring to can you give it to me ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

As long as you are progressing up the ladder, you'll continue to get fees or grant as appropiate.

Diploma -> Degree -> Hdip/Postgrad Dip -> Masters -> Phd

• Advertisement
Advertisement