Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Corrigan's Christmas Turkey

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Did anyone see Richard Corrigan's Christmas Cook-in at Farmleigh last year. It was on RTE 1 on 23rd Dec. He used a spice rub/mix under the skin of the breast. I tried this method and it was delicious, but can't find where I noted the recipe. Does anyone have an idea of where I could find it. I have tried the usual google searches. He mentioned something about Green Saffron spice mix, but he also told you what was in the mix to reproduce if you couldn't get your hands on it in time for Christmas.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

Hi MasterK, thanks for the reply. I saw this already, this recipe is for a poached/roasted turkey. The turkey he cooked on the programme last year was not the same one. I suppose I will just have to be inventive!. I notice there is a programme on Tues evening from Farmleigh. Perhaps I can get some new ideas.
    Happy Christmas and good cooking!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

I was actually a guest on that show!

The recipes can kind of be found here: http://www.rte.ie/food/search.html?programme=Corrigan%27s%20Live%20Christmas%20Cook-Along

The turkey recipe is different, though. Those potatoes he made, by the way, are the nicest potatoes I have ever eaten in my life. http://www.rte.ie/food/2009/1210/roastpotatoes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

I don't understand that potatoes recipe. Can someone please explain stage 2 to me?
    1. Boil the potatoes for 10 minutes.
    2. ??? Something involving a roasting tin.*
    3. Put them in the oven and roast them for a further 20 mins.

*Melt half of the goose fat and butter in to a roasting tin. When it is hot, add the potatoes and allow them to cook turning so the potatoes are golden brown on all sides. Add the rest of goose fat and butter as required.

At this point, the roasting tin is seemingly not in the oven (because it only goes in at stage 3). So where is the cooking coming from? Is it happening on the stove top? And how long is this stage supposed to go on for?

Sorry if I'm being stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Just made these for dinner this evening, they're really good. I'm going from the same recipe in one of his books though.

Basically, bring large pot of water to the boil, add salt, add your potatoes. Simmer (don't boil) for 10 mins. When you pierce one, it should still be firm inside.

Drain the water, leave in the pot or in a colander over the pot, cover with clean tea towel, wait 10 mins for spuds to dry out a bit.

Heat goose fat in roasting tray on stovetop (add some veg oil to stop it smoking), and basically shallow-fry your potatoes until crispy, turning them to crisp all the sides. When they're light golden brown, roast @ 220c for 20 mins, add butter, roast for another 15-20 mins or until done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Thanks a million for explaining it so that I could understand it Magic Monkey! I'm going to use that recipe for Christmas lunch today. The roast potatoes look really good in the photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

And for even nicer than that, if a bit fiddly, make garlic hassleback spuds.
    Basicly, take your peeled spud, find which way it lies on the countertop stably, then rotate it through 90 degrees and slice down through it leaving only 4-5mm of potato uncut. Then parboil in salted water that's at a rolling boil for 4-5 minutes, remove and let cool. When cool enough to handle, slice some garlic thinly, and stick a slice of garlic in every cut in the potatoes. Then put the roasting tray in the oven with oil in (I know everyone says goose fat, but I prefer peanut oil), let it get hot to almost smoking and then take it out of the oven, and add the potatoes one at a time, turning them once or twice in the hot fat (aren't tongs lovely?). Then leave them cuts upwards and roast for 40-45 minutes at 230C.

hasselback-potatoes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Putting the garlic in sounds a bit fiddly all right but they look lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 songbirds

I was actually a guest on that show!

The recipes can kind of be found here: http://www.rte.ie/food/search.html?programme=Corrigan%27s%20Live%20Christmas%20Cook-Along

The turkey recipe is different, though. Those potatoes he made, by the way, are the nicest potatoes I have ever eaten in my life. http://www.rte.ie/food/2009/1210/roastpotatoes.html

Hi Eliot Rosewater - just reading my email today, so your reply was not noticed before the big day! Not to worry, I tried to remember what I did last year, I mixed the butter with some nugmeg, crushed lime leaves, all spice, salt and pepper and rubbed it inside the breast, yummeeeee.
    Thanks again, but I thought Richard mentioned what was in the "green saffronn mix" on the programme - this was what I was after.
    Glad you enjoyed your potatoes, they sound delicious.
    Happy New Year.

Advertisement