Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best CC for travelling

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi,

Will be booking dozens of flights/hotels/tours over the next year as part of a RTW trip and I'm wondering which credit card is the best one to get. Had a bit of trouble in South America with Mastercard last year, Visa seemed more widely accepted, is this the case in Oz/NZ/South East Asia?

I've been told to use a credit card rather than my laser for booking flights and hotels because you're insured for these purchases. How does this work and do all cards offer the same cover? For example I was going to book the first leg of our trip (there's two of us) to oz on ebookers with my laser, totalling E1,500. Would I get different cover if I used a credit card? I'd be very grateful if someone could clear this up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

Generally Visa would be more widely accepted than Mastercard.

Banks sometimes offer visa cards with more options/cover for a monthly fee - check with your bank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

In Japan, 99% of ATM's do not accept Mastercard.
    No problems with purchases though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Thinspired wrote: »
    For example I was going to book the first leg of our trip (there's two of us) to oz on ebookers with my laser, totalling E1,500. Would I get different cover if I used a credit card? I'd be very grateful if someone could clear this up.

Book this with a credit card, and if you have the money then pay it off straight away. When you book through unbonded online booking sites, like ebookers, then you are not covered if they go under. Your money would be gone. If you book with a credit card though, you are covered (as long as it's a credit purchase, and not paid for with a cash balance that you might have put on the card).

Visa is probably best to go with when travelling, it does seem to be more widely accepted. Leave the details of the card number and contact details for the bank with a friend or relative, in case it gets lost or stolen, and you need someone to cancel it for you. Always handy to have these details left behind, especially if you're going to non-English speaking places, where communication could be problematic.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Visa all the way- landed in Cuba with no money once and my laser didn't work - visa sorted me out though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

I've been using Visa for over 10 years. Never had any problems with it. I even used it in Tanzania to withdraw money from ATMs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

jor el wrote: »
    Book this with a credit card, and if you have the money then pay it off straight away. When you book through unbonded online booking sites, like ebookers, then you are not covered if they go under. .

FYI
    Every booking with ebookers.ie is fully bonded with both IATA and the Commission for Aviation Regulation

www.ebookers.ie/info/page?id=AboutUs

Also covers ebookers.com

Advertisement