Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soda Bread

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

Just wondering about the nutritional value of brown soda bread - the loaves you buy at supermarkets with the white floury coating on top.

How many calories per buttered slice in general, and what is the fat content? Lots of competing information on the web, some saying it's healthy, some saying it's fattening.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

Furet wrote: »
    Just wondering about the nutritional value of brown soda bread - the loaves you buy at supermarkets with the white floury coating on top.

How many calories per buttered slice in general, and what is the fat content? Lots of competing information on the web, some saying it's healthy, some saying it's fattening.

What does that mean? that it makes you fat? No single food makes you fat, it's the total calories you eat that make you fat - if you go over maintenance.

repeatedly.

over and over again.

Yes, it's quite calorie dense, fitday has 1 slice soda bread at 214 calories, same as a bagel. Because it's much denser/ heavier than normal bread.

I wouldn't worry about the 5 grams of fat in a slice, better watch for the 56 grams of carbs ;) - that's where the calories are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

rocky wrote: »
    What does that mean? that it makes you fat? No single food makes you fat, it's the total calories you eat that make you fat - if you go over maintenance.

repeatedly.

Yeah thanks for that. I think it's generally understood what's meant by the term.
    Yes, it's quite calorie dense, fitday has 1 slice soda bread at 214 calories, same as a bagel. Because it's much denser/ heavier than normal bread.

I wouldn't worry about the 5 grams of fat in a slice, better watch for the 56 grams of carbs ;) - that's where the calories are.

Cheers - that's what I wanted to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Its also heavily dependent if its pre sliced or whether YOU slice it - if you cut yourself a slice and don't weigh the slice you cut then its pointless as you really don't know how many cals will be in it.

It's a very dense bread and most people who actually cut a slice of soda that is the same size of a slice oh white sliced loaf is actually getting a LOT more cals in the soda than the white. Why? White sliced pans weighs much less. Soda is heavier and denser and iv witnessed many people first hand eat a slice that would weight close to 100gms which if you have any apitite at all - does not look like a lot since the bread is so dense. People dont realise that with that 100gm slice there is anywhere from 3-400cals before you even put butter etc on it.

Mccambridges is another nice example - 1 slice of that is 80+cals. Yes - nutririonally it's a little more nutririous than white flour based bread produce but seriously who would be full from 1 slice of mccambridges!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭rocky

I might have mentioned this before, but the Nutty bread in work is 115cals/slice, sure it's healthier :rolleyes: than the plain white brown at 85 kcals/slice, but not if you're trying to reduce calories.

Also Lidl do a very light bread, only 48kcals/slice - because it's light, not because it has healthy(-ier) ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ULstudent wrote: »
    if you cut yourself a slice and don't weigh the slice you cut then its pointless as you really don't know how many cals will be in it.
    +1, a scales is essential, I would recommend a salter brand scale from argos. Weightwatchers have bread and its just smaller slices and smaller overall loaves than regular sliced pans -but more expensive of course. Most bread is in and around the same calories by weight.
    ULstudent wrote: »
    Mccambridges is another nice example - 1 slice of that is 80+cals. Yes - nutririonally it's a little more nutririous than white flour based bread produce but seriously who would be full from 1 slice of mccambridges!
    Even mcCambridges has some white flour in it, though the main flour is not. I usually eat ryvitas, 3 of them is the same kcal/weight as 1 slice of McCambridges and does seem far more substantial. I can just eat 3 of them, no way I could have one slice of McC and be as satisfied (though I would have more toppings on my ryvitas).

it is similar to people buying wispas, aero's and malteasers, they are full of air but appear substantial.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

ULstudent: Yup, I was thinking of the variety where you cut the slices yourself. I'd no idea it was so dense. Cheers.

Advertisement