Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wikileaks: British ambassador worried by Pope's outreach to Anglicans

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Jester Minute

Jakkass wrote: »
    The Ordinariate is proof that the RCC version of ecumenism isn't about co-operation and dialogue, but about seeking more converts to Catholicism.

It's a confused understanding. Are we all Christians in our own right (and if so what would be the purpose of joining the RCC?) or are we only Christians if we are members of the RCC?

It sounds like opportunism dwelling on the problems (that Anglicans need to sort our amongst themselves) within the Anglican Communion. Dare I say the RCC has enough problems of its own and that you would be outraged if churches decided to go to different orders or groups within the RCC offering them a chance to move church to alleviate themselves from the hurt and pain of child abuse within the church for example.

That's it. It is about getting more converts to the Catholic faith.

The confusion came in when some people, particularly in the RCC, got it into their heads that ecumenism was merely about reconciliation. It is good that separated Christians can co-exist and get along, but that is not the purpose of ecumenism. True ecumenism in the RCC context is about getting converts: bringing people into the Catholic Church.

It's about one faith, one baptism, one Church, with one shepherd on the earth. The Pope is the shepherd appointed by Christ to gather the flock. You may not agree with it, but that is the Catholic position. The Church holds that She holds the complete truth and the fullness of the Gospel so wishes to gather in those who are separated from Her.

True unity comes from just one thing: oneness with God, with one reality, one truth, one belief, one faith, and one doctrine.

So if we look at the words of St. Ignatius of Antioch, we get to the crux of the matter:

On the Eucharist, St. Ignatius wrote in his letter to the Smyrnaeans:

“ Take note of those who hold heterodox opinions on the grace of Jesus Christ which has come to us, and see how contrary their opinions are to the mind of God. . . . They abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer because they do not confess that the Eucharist is the flesh of our Savior Jesus Christ, flesh which suffered for our sins and which that Father, in his goodness, raised up again. They who deny the gift of God are perishing in their disputes. — Letter to the Smyrnaeans 6:2–7:1

If Catholics and non-Catholics dispute WHAT the Eucharist is, how can there be any true unity? If it is not unity around the Truth, what is it based on?

It sounds like opportunism dwelling on the problems (that Anglicans need to sort our amongst themselves) within the Anglican Communion. Dare I say the RCC has enough problems of its own and that you would be outraged if churches decided to go to different orders or groups within the RCC offering them a chance to move church to alleviate themselves from the hurt and pain of child abuse within the church for example.

Jakkass, I've seen you doing this before - twice on two separate occasions on this topic and I think on one other. I bit my tongue but third time I have to say something: you were told before about the Ordinariate - that it was the Anglicans who approached Rome, not the other way around as you make out here. The Anglicans approached Rome and the Pope responded with his Ordinariate scheme.

You've done this before!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It's false Jester Minute. The RCC approached Anglo-Catholic groups irrespective of whether they had approached the Vatican. Indeed, there were mutual press releases between Rowan Williams and Vincent Nichols on the issue. Admittedly, I was so disappointed to see that Rowan Williams didn't stand up for the integrity of the Anglican Communion.

Would you be offended if this happened in the context of the child abuse scandals?

And I've done it before because I know its incorrect.

It's false Jester Minute. The RCC approached Anglo-Catholic groups irrespective of whether they had approached the Vatican. Indeed, there were mutual press releases between Rowan Williams and Vincent Nichols on the issue. Admittedly, I was so disappointed to see that Rowan Williams didn't stand up for the integrity of the Anglican Communion.

Would you be offended if this happened in the context of the child abuse scandals?

And I've done it before because I know its incorrect.
    I wouldn't be offended. I'd welcome it to be honest. If any Protestant group wants any of ours they can have them. Anyone who is committed to the Catholic Church won't be drawn away by any offer so we won't be losing committed Catholics.

Advertisement