Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with sky italia ?

• 14-12-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,613 ✭✭✭✭

Saw this on L.J's

IMG.jpg?t=1292194656

I remember that some folks were giving out about the PL being in Italian, looks like its staying that way

so thoughts on the above?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

they must have gotten some complaint from the fa cos they keep showing liga matches in spanish.. so if thats valid for the premier league, why not for the liga?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I imagine most of Spain have Al Jazeera subs. Cheap and shows tonnes of La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Eventually ALL broadcasters will crack down.

1) If the broadcaster is delibrately doing it or turning a blind eye they are breaking civil contract with providers.

2) If the customer does it they may only be making the contract invalid, or they may in some countries be committing a criminal offence (obtaining goods or services by deception is a form of Fraud).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

It breaches the terms and conditions of the contract with Sky.

If they are saying it is illegal they are second guessing the European Courts yet to be made decision on the Katherine Murphy case before them.

They are also second guessing any decision to be made on the residential use of said cards within the EU. Free Trade and all that.

They are obviously loosing a lot of pub subs during the recession. I wonder how many people will hand G4S a copy of the Audiovisual Media Services Directive when they walk into their pub. Perhaps they should revisit their pricing policy that belongs in celtic tiger era.

Not many others have the drinking culture of Ireland and UK and the pricing policy that goes with it.

Yes. but even if it's not illegal, Sky Italia can legitmately kill the card if they can figure out its number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

It sounds to me like Sky are fighting a rearguard action prior to a verdict being delivered on the Murphy case. Sky may AUTHORISE G4S to visit pubs and clubs but what Landlord is going to give these clowns entry?

The heart of the problem is that Sky dont charge a commercially viable rate for Sports to clubs hence the use of cheaper foreign subs...

None. But I doubt they will announce their arrival.

Will they carry a high power Sky remote and put the card number up on screen via Services Menu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Zardoz

That letter is just a scare tactic ,its an empty threat.
    What jurisdiction do G4S have to inspect a pub or any dwelling for that matter ? None is the answer .
    The letter was published in the Scottish Advertiser btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

G4S have no statutory powers to enter anywhere. They can be simply be told to FO. Also they cannot take anything from a premises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I wonder if SKY UK will be issuing the same threats to all the bars and clubs in Spain, Greece, Italy, France, North Africa, Cyprus that are showing their channels???????

Of course not, the blind eye will be turned.

In this day in age, you would have thought that sky would have copped on and reduced their commercial subs.

So many pubs here are getting rid of Sky now and going down other routes. I woulkd hate to see them get into trouble, but thats the way its gone. My local small pub was paying over 600e a month for sky. That is outragous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

I agree with snaps, And a whole lot of other countries where sky cards are available too. Digital+ at the moment are mounting a case against sky over their cards being available accross spain, lost revenue !

However, The bars in this country are being ripped off left right and centre by sky on commercial subs and a lot are using other methods for the footy.

Was just doing a site survey last week in a bar in Co, Carlow and they were being charged 300 per month(connected to a server) for a DM clone !!! i could not believe my eyes. Anyway thats sorted now.

Sky have made a mint out of their cards being sold in other countries but have a major issue with others being used in the uk and Ireland.

Im only getting started:cool:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I notice the letter specifically mentions the residential viewing card.

So, what if you had a Sky Italia commercial viewing card? Anyone know how much roughly per month Sky IT is for commercial premises?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Do commercial subs exist ?

I think we assume that it exists in other countries, but afaik, its unique to Ireland and UK.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

STB wrote: »
    Do commercial subs exist ?

I think we assume that it exists in other countries, but afaik, its unique to Ireland and UK.
    Aye, I've found they do.
    http://www.sky.it/sky-business/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

I noticed that the Nova Sport Greece channels are displaying in English "These channels are only licensed to be watched in Greece" ticker, during the EPL.

Advertisement