Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese food in Ireland.. disgraceful

Options
  • 14-12-2010 3:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 49

I am appalled..

I don't even know where to start, there was oil in my curry sauce.. there was chicken balls that were soft..

There was chicken balls.....

WTF??

I ordered a load of food for me, and my friends..

I admittedly have had a few drinks, but please do not dismiss me because of that.
    I have (for the first time) tried Irish chinese food.. (I just corrected my mis-spelling of Fod, which seems more accurate), and as the under 25's say... (Not sure if they say it meaning good, bad, or to accentuate a point) OH....MY....GOD!

It was fecking disgusting. I'm not even sure what it was/is.
    Is that acceptable? If it was something we were more familiar with as a nation, would we accept it, if it was bad italian food, or anything else? (i can't think of a better example, as i've had a few.)
    Are the Chinese takeaways getting away with murder?
    I've been told that this place is a real good.. EDIT * REALLY GOOD Chinese take away... What standards do they have to meet?

Are there any standards?
    Seemed very unhealthy. Followed by a sauce that i would think contained illegal content, (If the ingredients of fizzlesticks were made illegal, then this sh*t should definitely be made illegal.)

I'm not going to bore you with all the blah of where i was, but i would think, that if Chinese food had a good name, i.e. a good enough name to come to the western world, then surely it was/is good..
    But what we are getting, IS NOT CHINESE FOOD!!
    It's some muck they serve us. And i know why.

Chinese food was/is/should be regarded as a delicacy in Ireland.

It wasn't feasible for them to bring fresh ingredients half way across the globe.

They improvised, and invented 'stuff' to keep it similar or fresh..

It turns out, that 'stuff' is way cheaper then the real ingredients.

They continued to use that 'stuff'.

Now we live in a more advanced world, we can grow the ingredients here, or have them here fom China at a more expensive (maybe) cost to us.. but fresh

The fact is, we can have REAL Chinese food here..

Should there not be a new law introduced as to how unhealthy the (ironically) Real healthy Chinese food should be? I mean, Should it not be monitored? Whatever i ate tonight, was not Chinese food, and you would not get in China in ANY place that you would find food there... So, at the VERY LEAST, they should be forced to rename the food, 'Irish Chinese food'.
    Not 'Chinese' as it is called, because that, is definitely, what it is not.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

I am appalled..

I don't even know where to start, there was oil in my curry sauce.. there was chicken balls that were soft..

There was chicken balls.....

WTF??

I ordered a load of food for me, and my friends..

I admittedly have had a few drinks, but please do not dismiss me because of that.
    I have (for the first time) tried Irish chinese food.. (I just corrected my mis-spelling of Fod, which seems more accurate), and as the under 25's say... (Not sure if they say it meaning good, bad, or to accentuate a point) OH....MY....GOD!

It was fecking disgusting. I'm not even sure what it was/is.
    Is that acceptable? If it was something we were more familiar with as a nation, would we accept it, if it was bad italian food, or anything else? (i can't think of a better example, as i've had a few.)
    Are the Chinese takeaways getting away with murder?
    I've been told that this place is a real good.. EDIT * REALLY GOOD Chinese take away... What standards do they have to meet?

Are there any standards?
    Seemed very unhealthy. Followed by a sauce that i would think contained illegal content, (If the ingredients of fizzlesticks were made illegal, then this sh*t should definitely be made illegal.)

I'm not going to bore you with all the blah of where i was, but i would think, that if Chinese food had a good name, i.e. a good enough name to come to the western world, then surely it was/is good..
    But what we are getting, IS NOT CHINESE FOOD!!
    It's some muck they serve us. And i know why.

Chinese food was/is/should be regarded as a delicacy in Ireland.

It wasn't feasible for them to bring fresh ingredients half way across the globe.

They improvised, and invented 'stuff' to keep it similar or fresh..

It turns out, that 'stuff' is way cheaper then the real ingredients.

They continued to use that 'stuff'.

Now we live in a more advanced world, we can grow the ingredients here, or have them here fom China at a more expensive (maybe) cost to us.. but fresh

The fact is, we can have REAL Chinese food here..

Should there not be a new law introduced as to how unhealthy the (ironically) Real healthy Chinese food should be? I mean, Should it not be monitored? Whatever i ate tonight, was not Chinese food, and you would not get in China in ANY place that you would find food there... So, at the VERY LEAST, they should be forced to rename the food, 'Irish Chinese food'.
    Not 'Chinese' as it is called, because that, is definitely, what it is not.

wooooww

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 PrettyButch

Wooww is right, it took me ages to write that, and i am appalled.. scratch.. APPALLED.. with the dirt we got tonight..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Wooww is right, it took me ages to write that, and i am appalled.. scratch.. APPALLED.. with the dirt we got tonight..

took me ages to write that :pac: brilliant

went out for chinese tonight myself mate! Thoroughly enjoyed it..

Some places food though would make you think your eating the neighbours dog!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Try a different place, there are 5 here in NCW and only 2 are decent one is very very good.

The rest.....:(

its like everything else, some are good, some are bad...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

just to establish if this is actual a consumer issue or just a rant, did you complain or just log-in to boards.ie straight away? :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 137 ✭✭Andrew42

Fruitcake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

maxxie wrote: »
    wooooww
    It was difficult enough trying to get through the garbage OP once - there was no good reason to duplicate the drunken tripe. I've duplicated your own insightful and very useful contribution just for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

You pays your money you takes your choice! Go to a different restaurant, Chinese Food is Lovely if you get a good cookbook :D Chinese Takeaway is what you get after a few jars on a Saturday night Fine Dining it ain't.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

the very fact that you mentioned chicken balls and curry sauce .....

these are not 'chinese' food .. these are balls of grease cooked in a take away by 'chinese people'.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Every Country you go to 'Chinese' food is different, try Holland, bloody Chinese is usually just Surinaams food.

Indian for example in Europe isn't actually Indian, Chicken 69 is a very popular dish but you'd never see it in a European takeaway. Most of the Indian food are dishes that the Indian catered to English palettes

Get over it ... or move to China.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

So, a drunken person gets "food" from one take away, which turns out to be of poor standard, and somehow this means that all Chinese food in Ireland is disgraceful. Have you tried every other Chinese restaurant and take away in the country? Have you tried the one you were in when it wasn't 2 O'Clock in the morning?

This rant is hardly a consumer issue, it's not even a very good rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Agreed - this thread has seen more than enough daylight

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement