Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TMC Dublin is live-do we all need sw updates?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

So DCC have announced the traffic channel is up and running. But we will require software updates to receive it. Has anyone picked up the service on their gps yet?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Not getting anything on new TomTom via with latest SW and v855 maps.
    Have on auto scan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

No need to download any new s/w, you just need maps newer than 2011.10, see ..

http://www.garmin.com/uk/irish-traffic

When you 'buy' the subscription for €0.00 all you then have to do is activate it by entering your Traffic Receiver's unit id (go to Setup > Traffic > Subscriptions > Add and it will show it .. mine was 10 digits) and enter this on the Garmin website which then returns a 25 digit alphanumeric code which you then enter on the unit.

Note you must have the traffic receiver powered and attached to get the Traffic related menus available.

I've activated it on my 760 but it hasn't actually found anything yet, but then I'm in Bray and I don't know how localized the signal is.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

So is this only available on Garmin devices?
    I have also tested on Tom Tom Go 1000 & 1005
    Noting been received.

koolkid wrote: »
    So is this only available on Garmin devices?
    I have also tested on Tom Tom Go 1000 & 1005
    Noting been received.
    I don't know the technical details to be honest, but RDS-TMC is a standard so any device capable of receiving it should be able to. I think the whole rigmarole of enabling / activating it on the Garmin is just because that's the way Garmin devices are set up, i.e. that they need a valid subscription for a specific service even if it's free.

On Tom Tom devices you can enter the frequency manually.However even if it finds nothing there it will scan the rest of the band for a signal.

• Advertisement

I got it working today, it's on 88.5MHz. See screen shots below ...

2u795p3.jpg
    2co1mo2.jpg
    akfxn4.jpg
    16lwped.jpg
    ipnnkw.jpg

Thanks Alun.
    Updated all my TomToms this evening
    Ill try on a few devices tomorrow.

Any luck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Thanks for the link and screenshots Alun.
    Just updating my nuvi. Will take a detour down the Naas dc and try it out tomorrow. Great to finally see it working in this country!
    I wonder how long it'll take to rollout nationwide?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I set it all up on my Nuvi 660, but it keeps saying it will activate automatically when it gets a traffic and GPS signal. In spite of driving around with the thing on on the dash, this never seems to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Owenw

Managed to activate the subscription on a nuvi 3760t with the 2011.30 map update.

You need to attach your GPS to the FM antenna and plug into the cigarette charger. The Traffic icon appears right at the bottom of the Settings menu. Click Traffic > Subscriptions... and follow the steps in Aluns post.

I actually picked up the FM signal from the wilds of Wicklow - about 35 miles south west of Dublin. Wonder the range is for the broadcast?

Owenw wrote: »
    I actually picked up the FM signal from the wilds of Wicklow - about 35 miles south west of Dublin. Wonder the range is for the broadcast?
    I don't know .. the frequency I picked it up on is 88.5MHz, which is the same as RTE Radio 1 in the Dublin area, so I assume it's just integrated into the existing RDS data stream. Whether it's also available on other Radio 1 frequencies I don't know.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I set it all up on my Nuvi 660, but it keeps saying it will activate automatically when it gets a traffic and GPS signal. In spite of driving around with the thing on on the dash, this never seems to happen.
    I don't know what traffic receiver you have, but with my 760 it's actually part of the 12V power plug that plugs into the cigarette lighter, so you must have that plugged in, with the nuvi in it's cradle as well as having the little trailing wire with the suckers on it, which is the FM antenna, somewhere where it can pick up a signal.

Alun wrote: »
    I don't know what traffic receiver you have, but with my 760 it's actually part of the 12V power plug that plugs into the cigarette lighter, so you must have that plugged in, with the nuvi in it's cradle as well as having the little trailing wire with the suckers on it, which is the FM antenna, somewhere where it can pick up a signal.

That's all there and working, the TMC on this unit has worked fine for me in the UK. I have the traffic icon in the settings menu, I have the Irish subscription, and it's found the signal on 88.50, it just doesn't quite seem to be able to activate. I'm going out in the car now, i'll let you know the exact message when I get back.

Checked Tomtom devices again. Nothing.
    Im off to try get some answers on this.

Strange. As I said when I first set it up here at home I didn't pick up anything either, but happened to be out and about in the Dun Laoghaire area on Wednesday and on the off-chance had a look and there it was. There were no hold-ups on my specific route, so I saw nothing on the normal map, but it was there when I selected Traffic from the main menu. It could be just that it's a bit flaky at the moment and isn't always available, I don't know. I'm heading in the same direction this afternoon some time so I'll have another look then.

So I've just come back and can confirm it's still working OK, in Wicklow and South County Dublin anyway.

@Anan1 : It might be worth deleting the subscription on the GPS and starting all over again to make sure you a) copied the Traffic Receiver ID down correctly from Tools>Settings>Traffic >Add, b) entered it correctly on the registration page, and c) copied the resultant code and entered it into the GPS correctly. The thing is, I don't know what happens if you enter an incorrect ID or code, i.e. whether there's any built in checks of any kind, or whether if you enter the wrong code it just doesnt work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭TomTom Ireland

koolkid wrote: »
    Checked Tomtom devices again. Nothing.
    Im off to try get some answers on this.

I'll check this on Monday - I was aware that other brands now offer a TMC based traffic system where the traffic data comes from a company called 'TrafficNav' - they get their data from Dublin City Council.

Obviously we have our LIVE services recently launched so the focus is there in terms of traffic alerts - it would probably be wrong for me to comment on the differences between the two :pac:

Thanks TTI
    I asked the question on the forum re this , I am awaiting a reply.

@Anan1 : It might be worth deleting the subscription on the GPS and starting all over again to make sure you a) copied the Traffic Receiver ID down correctly from Tools>Settings>Traffic >Add, b) entered it correctly on the registration page, and c) copied the resultant code and entered it into the GPS correctly. The thing is, I don't know what happens if you enter an incorrect ID or code, i.e. whether there's any built in checks of any kind, or whether if you enter the wrong code it just doesnt work.
    Turned it on again today and after about 30 seconds a new little icon appeared on the home screen - pressed that and up came a list of roadworks! Thanks for your help.:)

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Turned it on again today and after about 30 seconds a new little icon appeared on the home screen - pressed that and up came a list of roadworks! Thanks for your help.:)
    That's great! Did it "just happen" or did you have to go through the whole registration / subscription thing as I outlined?

That's great! Did it "just happen" or did you have to go through the whole registration / subscription thing as I outlined?
    I didn't have to reenter the code, but I did hit search a couple of times. Mind you, i couldn't absolutely swear that the new icon wasn't there before!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Just got a TomTom XL. Any word if TomTom is working with Dublin TMC? I think you have to buy a separate receiver, so I want to be sure before spending a further €50.

Even with a receiver I have not got any Tom Tom device to work with TMC traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Track42

I contacted TT Support to ask when the necessary downloads are likely to be available to allow TomTom TMC-enabled devices to access this service (mine works fine abroad). This is what TTS said in its response: “Unfortunately, we do not yet have any information regarding the service you have asked, being available with TomTom device. However, we take all feedback received very seriously in the future development of our products, therefore we have passed your comments on to our Product Management and Marketing Team.”…..
    I wonder if Koolkid’s and TomTom Ireland’s enquiries have received a similar response (if any)?
    I think that one requirement is the addition of a country-specific database to the Ireland map – so that might add to TT’s or Teleatlas’s costs!

It seems to be a case of one department not talking to another in TT.
    Those in developement and testing would be aware of it.
    I will follow up with an email tomorrow.
    I will also have a chat with TTI on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Got the following email from TomTom Customer Service today:

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

I have now confirmed that the TMC Traffic information is now available in Ireland and therefore, by acquiring a Traffic Receiver to this end will allow you to access Traffic information while driving in Ireland.

With Kind Regards

The TomTom Customer Care Team.

:confused:
    Can you forward that email to me, I will PM you I email address.
    I have tried TMC in Dublin on Go 1000 Go 1005 & Via with TMC traffic receiver.
    It does not work.
    I am still awaiting an official response from TT on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Just PM'ed you the two emails i received from Tomtom CS

• Advertisement

Got those thanks.
    I have forwarded those to TT & asked for some clarity on the issue.
    Don't buy a receiver yet is my advice.

Advertisement