Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TMC Dublin is live-do we all need sw updates?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭davpower

Cheers Koolkid. Maybe the required software is only loaded on new traffic receivers with an update to follow for existing units.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Track42

I think that the latest response from TT Service confirms Koolkid’s suggestion about departments within TT not talking to one another! I wouldn’t expect any change without some sort of download first – perhaps the next map version.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

davpower wrote: »
    Cheers Koolkid. Maybe the required software is only loaded on new traffic receivers with an update to follow for existing units.

Thats not the case. I have all the latest devices & software.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mandraker1000

Hi All,
    I have a question on the initial setup of the TMC service. Firstly I've used this extensively on TOMTOMs in Germany ( life-saver Service) and never had any probs with it, just plug in the TMC ariel and off you go. I'm now trying to set this up on a Kenwood DNX7260BT Head unit, this unit has onboard Garmin GPS and I've the latest garmin s/w Plus city navigator Eur 2011.32. This usint also comes with a TMC antenna, full spec is here http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/navigation/all_in_one/DNX7260BT/details/.
    Now going back to my problem and keep in mind I'm still getting used to Garmin behaviour. I went into the traffis icon and selected search (in blackrock), it scanned the FM band (went back and forth 3 or 4 times) but NO signal was found. I assume I have to pick up the signal first before I can activate, ie: I just can't ADD the subscription to the box ( and hey presto it magically appears). I've gotten the garmin subscription, but haven't activated it as yet. BTW the TMC antenna IS PLUGGED IN. Any help greatly appreciated.

and Thanks in advance

What I had to do to get traffic on my garmin nuvi was enter the unit ID of my rds tmc cable on mygarmin.com. They emailed me a code which I typed into the satnav the next time it was hooked up in the car by going to the add traffic subscription option and it just worked.

• Advertisement

Koolkid, any clarification from tomtom yet regarding the availability of RDS TMC in ireland. Thanks.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Nothing as yet.
    Basically I am getting someone to contact the Cust Service Rep & try to find who gave him the info.
    I'll send off another mail now.

From TomTom..

I can confirm that RDS-TMC does not work in the Republic of Ireland but does in Northern Ireland. I have informed the team as whole that RDS-TMC is not supported.

I am also told the agent in question will be back in contact this.

koolkid wrote: »
    From TomTom..

I can confirm that RDS-TMC does not work in the Republic of Ireland but does in Northern Ireland. I have informed the team as whole that RDS-TMC is not supported.

Koolkid, thanks for your efforts on this.

Yeah thanks for that Koolkid. I hope they issue an update soon though as I would like to have both traffic systems to get the most accurate traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

I got mine working with a Garmin Zumo 660 / GTM 21 charger (borrowed from Nuvi unit).

Just for clarification for everyone else using Garmin:
    1. Must have at least 2011.10 Maps
    2. Must have latest software for unit
    3. Must have traffic reciever like one above (in charger)
    4. Go to Garmin.ie, click Traffic section and buy (free at the moment)
    5. Dock Unit, write down code (in traffic dock)
    6. Enter unit code on Garmin's website
    7. Recieve unlock code, print or write down
    8. Enter unlock code (in dock)
    9. Done.

I can pick it up in Leixlip, Co.Kildare, so I'd say greater Dublin area has it. I couldn't pick it up in Kilkenny or at any point up along M9/M7 up until Naas, but supposedly it's rolling out nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 stelydave

Just got traffic update working with Nuvi 710 & gtm-21 in Dublin area.

Thanks Dueyfinster for the instructions.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Does anyone else find that Garmin TMC, while apparently working, is actually pretty useless? I sat in heavy traffic on the canal for 30 minutes the other day, and my Garmin knew nothing about. In fact, apart from a couple of roadworks and red worms of congestion along the quays, it didn't appear to know anything at all. Same with the safety camera database; the only warning I came across was on the N11 heading into town past RTE, and it thought the limit was 100km/h there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

KoolKid wrote: »
    From TomTom..

Anymore on this Colm ?

sharkman wrote: »
    Anymore on this Colm ?

Downloading the latest map (v.865) hasn’t changed the TMC situation, anyway!

All TomTom say is it doesn't work at present and no plans to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Decided to give the traffic a whirl today on my garmin headin up to dublin, and 40miles out it picked up the traffic, also coming back this afternoon, it also had the traffic for cork and galway on it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

skodacb wrote: »
    it also had the traffic for cork and galway on it:D

Go way! Cork you say .... I'm rushing out to me van as we speak.

All TomTom say is it doesn't work at present and no plans to support it.

It’s surprising that TomTom markets devices here that support TMC in Northern Ireland but not in the Republic, and now says that it has no plans to support it here. Garmin has just been handed extra selling point.

Perhaps they don't want to undermine their live traffic service.

• Advertisement

Perhaps they don't want to undermine their live traffic service.

Perhaps, but that’s a subscription service only available for the new top-of the-range 1000 and 1005 Live models, which co-exist with their TMC ones in other countries. Incidentally, it seems that those models have been launched prematurely, with much of the support still unavailable.

Advertisement