Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Area to live in Galway

Options
  • 14-12-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I have recently moved to Galway and am currently working in Mervue but will be moving to Parkmore in a few months. Where do you recommend for somewhere nice to live that is a safe area please?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

How far is Parkmore from Mervue?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I take it you're not living in Mervue because it's pretty close to Parkmore. Do you have a car / bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you're moving work to Parkmore then Doughiska I think.
    As said before, depends on if you have car.
    Anyway, try find something as close to work as possible as traffic is bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Anywhere in town is good too. The Parkmore bus goes every 15 min from Eyre Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Anywhere in town is good too. The Parkmore bus goes every 15 min from Eyre Square.

I would say if you don't drive then moving into town would be the way to go. As said there's a bus every 15 mins and from what I have observed when trying to get a bus to somewhere else the Parkmore bus service seems to be one of the only reliable routes!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Like they said .. or consider Roscam: it's also on the Parkmore bus route.

And for the meantime, it's five-ten minutes walk from the Dublin Rd up to Mervue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

JustMary wrote: »
    it's five-ten minutes walk from the Dublin Rd up to Mervue.

:eek:

Are you sure JustMary? I thought i walk fast, but this would take me for sure not less then 20 minutes. So you know any magic shortcuts?

I would choose Briarhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

softmee wrote: »

Are you sure JustMary? I thought i walk fast, but this would take me for sure not less then 20 minutes. So you know any magic shortcuts?

Depends where on the part of the Dublin Road I'd guess...could head down the Micheal Collins Road it could take about 15 minutes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Depends where on the part of the Dublin Road I'd guess...could head down the Micheal Collins Road it could take about 15 minutes...

Maybe from there, i was thinking Roscam ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

YOu said safe... Not too many places in Galway are dodgy. The only place I've know folk to get attacked (including mates and my young fella) was the city centre. That seems to be an 'after the pubs on a night out' occurance. Actually, it still shocks me that a group of mates would kick the crap out of random strangers for fun!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Doughiska would suit you fine

I remember when that was just a country lane and that wasn't so many years ago either :)

You'd easily cycle it to Parkmore

softmee wrote: »

Sorry, didn't explain myself well: that's from the bus stop on the Dublin Rd by Wellpark, to the Mervue industrial estate.

It's about 50 minutes walk for me from Roscam to Wellpark, if I'm focussed on doing it fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭ciotog

Sorry to dig up an old thread - thought it apt given the Doughiska mention. We're looking at renting a place in Túr Uisce, off the Doughiska road. However, herself is getting freaked out by friends telling her the area is dangerous e.g. to be out at night. Any opinions? Folks living there or anyone who fancies throwing in 2c :)

I'm a Galway native, I was one of the first residents to move into An Sean Bhaile, Doughiska almost 7 yrs ago, I've been on various neighbourhood committes and I'm on a neighbourhood watch committe. Doughiska dangerous?? That's news to me.

Greaney wrote: »
    I'm a Galway native, I was one of the first residents to move into An Sean Bhaile, Doughiska almost 7 yrs ago, I've been on various neighbourhood committes and I'm on a neighbourhood watch committe. Doughiska dangerous?? That's news to me.
    Thought it could be - thank you (I like the place)

My Pleasure;)

ciotog wrote: »
    Sorry to dig up an old thread - thought it apt given the Doughiska mention. We're looking at renting a place in Túr Uisce, off the Doughiska road. However, herself is getting freaked out by friends telling her the area is dangerous e.g. to be out at night. Any opinions? Folks living there or anyone who fancies throwing in 2c :)

It got a totally un-deserved rep a few years back, when there were houses but a shortage of facilities and a road that was seriously un-finished by the developers, so lots of Irish people turned up their noses. Those issues have been fixed now. (As one EE friend put it, Dunnes Stores opened, so the Irish moved in!)

I've been out there at night quite a bit, catching the bus home from visiting friends, and never had problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

One easy way to find out is to search local online papers for the estate name. This way you'll find out if it's been in the papers.
    "Joe Soap of 11 Main Road Dougiska is charged with multiple homicides on girls walking alone late at night"

http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&q=doughiska+site%3Agalwaynews.ie
    http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&q=doughiska+site%3Aadvertiser.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Moved to Doughiska last August; living in one of the appartments on the main road next the the bus stop on the Oranmore side of the Amber House Hotel.

Have seen absolutely nothing to suggest the place is dangerous or dodgy. Everyone who works down at Centra/Jack Jones/the barber shop/ the garage across from the NCT centre are all very polite and friendly. The place has a nice and quiet atmosphere as well. Just wish I moved here sooner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

I was working in Parkmore and can recommend Renmore. It's really nice quiet area with parks, shops, gym, pharmacies etc. It's also price balanced and safe.

Bus no 9 will take you to Parkmore within 10 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

It depends on you- do you go out a lot or stay at home most weekends, do you have kids etc?
    Doughiska, Roscam are very close, quick commuting times. Oranmore a bit further but it has a few nice pubs, restaurants, Tesco and is near Renville park.
    If you go out a lot then I'd live in/near town. There's buses from Eyre Sq all the time.....

Missed that several of you had replied on this thread with good things to say about Doughiska. Appreciate it very much and we settled (last weekend) on renting the place we looked at. Looking forward to town being more accessible i.e. buses, etc. Living just outside of Moycullen at the moment (love the place very much) and have a grand cycle to work so hoping it's pleasant over from Doughiska too :) Also looking forward to getting along to more things (gigs, hackerspace, cinema, etc) happening in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Social Media

Salthill is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Wa wrote: »
    I have recently moved to Galway and am currently working in Mervue but will be moving to Parkmore in a few months. Where do you recommend for somewhere nice to live that is a safe area please?

Obviously depending on what you are looking for, but if you have a Car and a Family then you should consider moving out into the countryside as an option. You will get more for your money house + garden wise and a better quality of life IMHO.

Each to their own of course, but I did the city-living thing for many years and while it is great while your life revolves around your social life, the countryside offers more once a family arrives.

Alternatively one of the smaller towns might be a good choice, Monivea, Athenry, Oranmore, etc

Just my 2c.

... city-living thing for many years and while it is great while your life revolves around your social life, the countryside offers more once a family arrives.

Keep in mind, though, that once the kids get old enough to be doing things but too young to drive, ye will spend half your life playing chauffeur.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

JustMary wrote: »
    Keep in mind, though, that once the kids get old enough to be doing things but too young to drive, ye will spend half your life playing chauffeur.

I take your point about being car-dependent, but this is more than made up for by the fact once you engage with the community, that good neighbors more often than not share the taxi duties to sports and other activities.:)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Lived in Doughiska for two years when I first moved to Galway as I was working in Parkmore. It's not dangerous but it's very boring. There's nothing to do and if you want to head out for the night it's a €15 for a cab home (though this may have gone down recently).

Advertisement