Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else like James LaBrie's latest solo album?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

mislead is pretty class,haven't got the album but might check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Wow, those songs are awesome.

I suppose it feels good for LaBrie to actually be signing for more than 1/4 of a song :P
    Can't help noticing his name is kinda using the DT font thought.

I'll definitely pick up the album. Thanks for sharing!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I haven't had a chance to check this out yet. Elements of Persuasion was pretty good so I have high hopes for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Wow, those two tracks are pretty great. Definitely gona pick up the album now, thanks KH! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭InigoMontoya

I like it a lot, wouldn't rate it quite as highly as the OP but yeah, very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Seriously good album!! Pretty much from start to finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

You have to wonder is LaBrie's sudden shift into the shouty/grunty Metal style because it's a legitimate vocal technique that he is genuinely interested in utilising for the music or is he just throwing out a generic vocal technique for a particular audience?

He is a trained vocalist and doesn't have to resort to screaming. Just because the music is heavy doesn't necessarily mean the vocals have to be grunted. Has that caught anyone elses attention?

Apart from that he has a good band of musicians playing with him and the whole sound is very tight and nicely produced.

Passenger wrote: »
    You have to wonder is LaBrie's sudden shift into the shouty/grunty Metal style because it's a legitimate vocal technique that he is genuinely interested in utilising for the music or is he just throwing out a generic vocal technique for a particular audience?

I can't imagine he'd think that much into. I mean he's done his own shouty vocals on DT albums over the years, some parts of Six Degrees for example, but it doesn't suit him at all. That vocal style suits the fast,aggressive riffs. Maybe it's just a case of him liking it,and seen as the guy is the drummer anyway why not? I'd imagine he wants to go in a different direction to DT, and if it were only him doing vocals it would have a much stronger connection to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

It is a pretty cool album, but it has been sharing listening time over the last two weeks with Pins And Needles by The Birthday Massacre and also with No Name No Colour by Middle Class Rut as they are the three albums getting the most listens in that time.

I reckon if I had not gotten the other two at the same time, then Static Impulse would be on constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

Mother of God this is brilliant! :eek: It's like Soilwork and Dream Theater had a beautiful lovechild

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

It's a brilliant album alright, every song on it is strong!! Peter Wildoer on drums does the screaming vocals, not James.

Elements of Persuasion was great too. Check out his work under the moniker Mullmuzzler which is worth listening to too!!!

I hope James' songwriting comes to the fore for Dream Theater's new album now that Mike Portoy is gone.

I hope James' songwriting comes to the fore for Dream Theater's new album now that Mike Portoy is gone.

How much is James songwriting though? I was watching the making of Static Impulse recorded by the keyboardist. And James was off with DT while it was being recorded. I just wonder does he come up with any music or just vocal melodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    How much is James songwriting though? I was watching the making of Static Impulse recorded by the keyboardist. And James was off with DT while it was being recorded. I just wonder does he come up with any music or just vocal melodies.

True, Matt Guillory is credited along with him so it could be James came up with the vocal melodies and lyrics; but with it being James' project, i'd imagine the direction of the music would be his decision.

I've a feeling the next DT album will have more input from James, maybe not so much in the writing of the music but the direction it takes and the vocal melodies. I always felt he took too much of a back seat when Mike was around

Advertisement