Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another An Post thread!

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Does anybody know if there is any requirements for the postman to actually delivery letters to my door?
    Just got another "Unable to deliver" notice in the mail box!
    Working on plan ...

:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That doesn't make sense, if the postman can put a "unable to deliver" note through your door then he can put letters through it too. Unless of course it's a packet of course. Any chance that this could be the answer.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Eiether the letter is too large to fit or it was sent registered mail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Cabaal wrote: »
    Eiether the letter is too large to fit or it was sent registered mail.

They often don't bother bringing packages to the door in the first place. Just the note. I'm pretty sure this is down to the postman himself, so you can talk to him directly or ring the post office and complain. Obviously the former is better.

Like Cabaal said, if you aren't there and it needs a signature or is too big then you can ring the depot and ask them to redeliver it. They'll only make one attempt for parcels though (these are larger than packages).

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Zab wrote: »
    They often don't bother bringing packages to the door in the first place. Just the note. I'm pretty sure this is down to the postman himself, so you can talk to him directly or ring the post office and complain. Obviously the former is better.

Like Cabaal said, if you aren't there and it needs a signature or is too big then you can ring the depot and ask them to redeliver it. They'll only make one attempt for parcels though (these are larger than packages).

Problem is that I have an american style mail box at end of driveway. Today there was one small package in the box and a "could not delivery" notice!
    It appears that he could not be bothered to drive the rest of the way to the house! This has happen a number of times. My wife complained the last time she had to go to sorting office to collect package, told them she is there all the time etc..

What I was thinking of doing was to give him one more warning (note in letter box) and if it happens again, move the mail box to beside that front door! So not only would he have to drive up to the house with each delivery, but would now also have to get out of the van and walk to the box instead of now when he only has to wind down his window and place letters in the box.

My question is do they have to delivery to the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

busman wrote: »
    Problem is that I have an american style mail box at end of driveway. Today there was one small package in the box and a "could not delivery" notice!
    It appears that he could not be bothered to drive the rest of the way to the house! This has happen a number of times. My wife complained the last time she had to go to sorting office to collect package, told them she is there all the time etc..

What I was thinking of doing was to give him one more warning (note in letter box) and if it happens again, move the mail box to beside that front door! So not only would he have to drive up to the house with each delivery, but would now also have to get out of the van and walk to the box instead of now when he only has to wind down his window and place letters in the box.

My question is do they have to delivery to the door?

They have to deliver to your letterbox as far as I know.

As other posters have said though, they do sometimes just not bother their arse bringing packages and just bring the slip. I've received two over the last couple of months (although in December they'be been top notch) where I've been at home all day and they left a slip in my letter box (its on the gate at the end of the (short) drive) with conveniently no time of attempted delivery on it.

They are cowboys to an extent when it comes to packages, sometimes they deliver, sometimes they dont. Although you have a right of complain, there's probably very little that will come of it. I've complained before and been told that there was clearly an attempt to deliver and the postman wouldn't just call to the house and not bother bringing the package. In other words I was getting the "why would the postman do that???" argument which was what I was asking, and complaining more just seemed to annoy them more.

• Advertisement

They have to deliver to your letterbox as far as I know.

That is what I was trying to find out. Does anybody know what law or regulations an post are under to deliver letters/packages?
    I know a few years ago there was talk of them only delivering to a mailbox, you know those green plastic ones they gave out for free.

Is it too much to want him to do the job that he is payed for!!!
    Off to the sorting office this afternoon, I'll see if I can have a friendly word with them there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I've complained several times about our postman putting these notices through the door when in fact I was home....went no where. After the third complaint I put it in writing, pushed it as far as I could with An Post and still got no where - not even a proper apology.

Next step is comreg I suppose if I want to push it.

And to add insult to injury, the opening times on the notice are different to the opening times on their voicemail, so I thought they open 7.30 - 6. I leave home at 7, don't get home til 6 so thought I wouldn't get time to collect it and then found out (only after they had returned the item to sender) that in fact they are open from 7am!!! :mad:

Little Ted wrote: »
    I've complained several times about our postman putting these notices through the door when in fact I was home....went no where. After the third complaint I put it in writing, pushed it as far as I could with An Post and still got no where - not even a proper apology.

Next step is comreg I suppose if I want to push it.

And to add insult to injury, the opening times on the notice are different to the opening times on their voicemail, so I thought they open 7.30 - 6. I leave home at 7, don't get home til 6 so thought I wouldn't get time to collect it and then found out (only after they had returned the item to sender) that in fact they are open from 7am!!! :mad:

Picked up the parcel from sorting office today.
    Rang bell at window and "person" appeared, handed him my notice and
    off he went. I'm assuming that he was an an-post employee, no uniform, nothing that identified him as such except for his general demeanour :p

While he was away noticed that on the wall was a nice framed copy of an-posts quality policy! Boy did it make me laugh!
    We pledge to provide all customers with quality services at all times
    World class service etc, etc, etc .....
    I knew that I might as well be talking to wall but decided to engage
    "worker" about non delivery of package, went sort of like this :

Me : Thanks, but it would have been nice if he would have delivered yesterday as I was at home.

Him : 'Shrugs shoulders' I don't anything about that.

Me : Who would I have to talk to that would know?

Him : 'Shrugs shoulders' Nothing to do with me, you could ask the postman I suppose.

Me : Could you tell me who is my postman?

Him: 'Shrugs shoulders' No idea.

Me: Do you know who I would have to ask to find out?

Him : 'Shrugs shoulders'

I had enough fun and left :D

Will put nice note in letterbox tomorrow for postman asking polity if he could please come to the door when he has a package that doesn't fit into the mailbox :)

Also sent email to customer services to see if they can send me a copy of there lovely quality policy as I can't seen to find it on their website.

I did find this however: http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/Postal+Terms+and+Conditions.htm

Nice to know that I can sent bees, leeches and silkworms by post!!!

A modern world class mail company if there ever was one ;)

Advertisement