Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I make Colman's Mustard mild?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 1:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

I have only tried mustard a few times in my life and I have a 113g container of Colman's mustard powder and my god is it powerful stuff. I just find it very challenging to eat anything with it.
    Is there anything I could try adding to it to make it more mild, cooler and less intense. What would you recommend? Maybe sunflower oil, mayonnaise, peanut butter or honey?
    Does heating and cooking it make it mild?
    I was wondering does it get easier the more often you eat it and your mouth and nose get used to it?
    I only used about a tenth of it. If it can't be tamed I think I will have to put it in the bin, it wasn't that expensive anyway, about €1.30 in Tesco.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Nah the nose burning is the best bit, means your getting it just right, try mixing it with Cream

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_%28condiment%29
    Mustard, in its powdered form, lacks any potency and needs to be fixed; it is the production of allyl isothiocyanate from the reaction of myrosinase and sinigrin during soaking that causes gustatory heat to emerge. One of the factors that determines the strength of a prepared mustard is the temperature of the water, vinegar, or other liquid mixed with the ground seeds: hotter liquids are more hostile to the strength-producing compounds. Thus, hot mustard is made with cold water, while using hot water results in milder mustard (other factors remaining the same).[18]

The pungency of mustard is always reduced by heating, not just at the time of preparation; if added to a dish during cooking much of the effect of the mustard is lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

My father loved Colmans (powdered) Mustard and to 'cool it down' he used to mix it with a little milk (just a hint less fattening than cream), which did the trick.

Advertisement