Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

K-1 World Grand Prix 2010 Final *Spoilers*

• 14-12-2010 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭

Surprised there wasn't a thread in here about the Grand Prix final this year. The winner might not come as a surprise to fans of Alistair Overeem

Here are the videos of his fights on the night:

Astounding to believe the heights he's reached since his return to K-1 rules fighting only 3 years ago. I have extra admiration for anyone who wins this tournament format as its 3 fights against top opposition in one night (a throwback to Pride days. :() Now 6 months ago I thought Overeem fighting in the UFC was an inevitability, but the success he's had along with his clear love of kickboxing has made that look less likley. Whats everyones thoughts on this guy? is he the real deal? How would he face up against the top tier of Strikeforce, in a rematch with Werdum or a bout with Fedor? The same for UFC's premier HW's, I would be genuinely afraid for the safety of anyone who fought in a standup fight with this man in 4oz gloves. His precision and power wearing padded gloves is fearsome, however I don't confess to know much about his ground game or takedown ability. His career is in the position now that he really does not need UFC as it limits his fighting to one promotion, one set of rules, while he currently enjoys the freedom to chose where and when he fights, and under what rules.

Anyone interested might want to catch The Reem - an onling documentarty following his training for the Grand Prix and his fight with Brett Rogers in Strikeforce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

Very impressed with Overeem, the man is a beast and would love to see him in the UFC. However seriously doubt it will happen.

Got a question for MMA and kickboxing aficionados what is the reason with Holland's great history in kickboxing? Now I know other European countries practice kickboxing (France & Savate etc) but there seems to be a much greater heritage of it in Holland and background of high quality fighters, trainers and clubs.

Is this due to Holland's historical links with Indonesia and an export of Indonesian and other Far Eastern MA's to Holland?

If anyone is able to answer this question or shed light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

The thread was over on the SD&MA forum - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056116482

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

Ah roight, never been on that forum tbh, can leave this for a discussion of the reem and his future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Oh_Noes

It was a fun tournament for sure. To be honest I thought Overeem would be a little bit more dominant than he was. He's definitely in his prime right now, must be nice for him to be hitting the top after spending most of his twenties being a sort of also-ran.

Not sure about whether or not I'd be interested in seeing him in the UFC. There aren't too many interesting heavyweights there. I think Overeem vs. Dos Santos would be an excellent fight. I'm happier that he's in Strikeforce, so he can re-match with Verdum, maybe fight Fedor. Even Antonio Silva looked very impressive the other week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

I think the shortness of the rounds greatly favour the bigger fighter. Aerts really had to go 110% to beat Schilt and when he got to Overeem he was just too knackered to compete with someone who looks about 30kg bigger than him.

I think Overeem is great and I'm a big fan, but Semmy has won K1 before and was fighting in UFC in 2001 and been fighting mma/free fight since forever. So i don't know why he carries the MMA torch in K1.

Also, again not to try and piss on his achievement but right now Badr Hari (and possibly Remy but less so) are the guys to beat in k1, both of whom weren't in this tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭ScareGilly

Also, again not to try and piss on his achievement but right now Badr Hari (and possibly Remy but less so) are the guys to beat in k1, both of whom weren't in this tournament.

He's already beaten Badr Hari :rolleyes: Really want to see a rubber match between them though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭t-ha

Spong was NO pushover! Really impressed with him - especially the first round, obviously.

ScareGilly wrote: »
    He's already beaten Badr Hari :rolleyes: Really want to see a rubber match between them though...

it's K1, everyone has beaten everyone else at least once. Hari would have been favoured to win this had he been capable of entering.

Fantastic event. Never fails to impress. Loved Spong's performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Overeem should have at least had a point deducted for the two handed clinches in the first round against Spong and could easily have been disqualified because he kept doing them throughout the fight.

When he did get in on people he was very impressive though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

K-1 isn't MMA and thats why it was in the Self Defense and Martial Arts forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

unknown13 wrote: »
    K-1 isn't MMA and thats why it was in the Self Defense and Martial Arts forum.

Hmmm fighters from karate, mia thai, kick boxing, tiquando back grounds etc etc , not 'mma' in the ufc sense but still 'A' mma sport imo

K1 is a rule set more than a martial art in itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭SanoVitae

it's K1, everyone has beaten everyone else at least once.

It's quite amazing how they all beat each other. No-one seems to have anyone's number so you never know how the rematches are going to go!

calex71 wrote: »
    Hmmm fighters from karate, mia thai, kick boxing, tiquando back grounds etc etc , not 'mma' in the ufc sense but still 'A' mma sport imo

K1 is a rule set more than a martial art in itself.

I think this may deserve a separate thread because it is a different issue would make much more sense, since this thread is about the K-1 WGP itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

unknown13 wrote: »
    I think this may deserve a separate thread because it is a different issue would make much more sense, since this thread is about the K-1 WGP itself.

I think i tried to flog that dead horse here already some time ago to be honest and the thread ended up getting moved to SD&MA :D

no need to flog any horses on my watch lads I can explain it all in a few sentances.

K1 is a mixture of different martial arts (~kickboxing and ~karate) but is not Mixed Martial Arts as it is known to 99% of people that use this forum.

K1 is a big prize fighting competition, doesn't belong in boxing forum but may well be more suited to SD/MA but i don't think anyone here really minds as i guess they have at least a passing interest especially with overeem as he is one of the hottest entities in MMA.

K-1 is a combination of Kickboxing and Muay Thai without some rules of each. There is 10 counts in K-1

MMA is BJJ, Kickboxing, Muay Thai and Wrestling, with fewer rules than K-1. There isn't 10 counts in MMA

Advertisement