If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2700 off a TV! BIGGEST E V E R TV DISCOUNT - 56" LCD

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Please let me know how you get on with it but I saw it working instore so have no doubt it should work for you as well.

We have brought this issue up with Philips tech folks so hopefully there will be a firmware update at some stage in the New Year.

then we can all set our TV's to IRELAND!

Have a good one

Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

I've been resisting this baby since original post. Even had the mrs convinced.

My worry is sky sd picture. How do they look stretched to 21:9 and is there much cropping at top/bottom of picture?

Suppose If I leave at 16:9 are the black bars at the sides going to drive me nuts?

Anyone have used/thoughts (had similar post on home entertainment but no replies).

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭56lcd

Please let me know how you get on with it but I saw it working instore so have no doubt it should work for you as well.

We have brought this issue up with Philips tech folks so hopefully there will be a firmware update at some stage in the New Year.

then we can all set our TV's to IRELAND!

Have a good one

Ash

I tuned in the channels setting my country location as the UK and the Irish Digital teletext works fine.

1. RTE 2 High Def
    2. RTE 1
    3. TV 3
    4. TG 4
    5. RTE NEWS CHANNEL
    6. 3e
    7. Temporary RTE 2 Analogue

The picture on RTE 2 HD is stunning and as good as Blu-Ray, the other digital channels on Saorview are quite impressive also.

I have lost all the digital radio channels on Saorview since I entered the UK as my location country.
    When do you think Philips will correct the software to allow this TV to broadcast the full Saorview service?
    I am happy for now because I have superb picture quality and Irish digital teletext.

higster wrote: »
    I've been resisting this baby since original post. Even had the mrs convinced.

My worry is sky sd picture. How do they look stretched to 21:9 and is there much cropping at top/bottom of picture?

Suppose If I leave at 16:9 are the black bars at the sides going to drive me nuts?

Anyone have used/thoughts (had similar post on home entertainment but no replies).

John.

On standard definition Freeview/Sky and analogue there are black bars down the side unless you use the zoom function.
    Perhaps a freeview HD box connected with a HDMI lead would solve that issue
    The analogue + the standard definition pictures are ok at full zoom but it is nothing close to the superb picture that you get on free Saorview.
    This is a HD television and it does not make sense to buy it to broadcast SD.

<Snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

Any of these left and if so do I still get the 5 year guarantee ?

Hi Higster

You have a couple of options when viewing 16:9 material on this TV.
    You can leave it as is and have the image "pillar boxed" with black bars down the side or use one of the widcreen modes to expand the image to fill the screen - the later option isnt as drastic as it sounds and I can demo it instore for you no worries.

Hi Santa Claus

I believe I can still get my hands on one or two more above the TV's allocated to me - they are due in soon I've been told.

The warranty offer has expired on Dec 31st i'm afraid:( (those who placed their orders before this date qualify even though the TV's arrived after the closing date - no fear for you there!)

Cheers
    folks
    Ash

• Advertisement

I am typing this message on the Net tv on this superb tv ... go buy one

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭SaKuRa

Hi,could I get one of these with a tv stand?

Hi SaKuRa

Sure I'll put one plus stand up on our system for you as a customer order.

I should warn that we have already presold our allocation of the 56PFL9954 at the moment - i'm waiting for clarification as to if/when I'll see more - fingers crossed

could you pm me your Name and phone number and I'll get back to with an eta once I have that info.

Thanks for the order

Happy New Year

Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

I have my 21:9 up and running since Sept, and it is a stunning TV (I do feel rather sick now at the price it is selling at)
    Thanks for the digital Teletext update info, as I was going to ring you guys (in Philips Store) re same.
    For anyone else out there thinking of getting this TV - it's a bargain!

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

gman2k wrote: »
    I have my 21:9 up and running since Sept, and it is a stunning TV (I do feel rather sick now at the price it is selling at)
    Thanks for the digital Teletext update info, as I was going to ring you guys (in Philips Store) re same.
    For anyone else out there thinking of getting this TV - it's a bargain!

Thanks Gman and apologies for the massive price drop - honestly we did not think that this would happen - it's a completely mad offer!

Thanks again and hope you have many happy years with your toy!

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Why wasn't this on bargain alerts. ????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@freeze4real,

There are frequent special "Boardie only" deals as well as general sales, clear-outs etc on a fairly regular basis on this forum - well worth checking in here from time to time. These are not cross-posted on Bargain Alerts, that only happens of a Boardie thinks it worthwhile to post a link. Given that RS' has their own forum here, cross posting every offer or deal on Bargain Alerts might be regarded as OTT.

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

Just a question about the TV itself. What is it like watching TV, is there not two black lines running down the side of the screen when watching ordinary TV. What is SKY HD like on the set, I watch a lot of films but also a lot of TV, what is the balance like.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Do not buy this TV as it is not Saorview compatible and Philips are not willing to resolve the issue.

I bought this TV on january 3rd 2011 and the only way you can get Saorview teletext is by setting your country location to the UK and when you do this you lose all the Irish digital radio channels.
    I have had several frustrating telephone calls with the condescending Philips technical support staff and the best they can do is tell me that this TV is a 2009 model and they wont fix the problem .... they told me that I could take the TV back.

56lcd wrote: »
    Do not buy this TV as it is not Saorview compatible and Philips are not willing to resolve the issue.

I bought this TV on january 3rd 2011 and the only way you can get Saorview teletext is by setting your country location to the UK and when you do this you lose all the Irish digital radio channels.
    I have had several frustrating telephone calls with the condescending Philips technical support staff and the best they can do is tell me that this TV is a 2009 model and they wont fix the problem .... they told me that I could take the TV back.

..and yes you can take the TV back no problem.

As I am sure most of you are aware RTE NL have recently made some small changes to the way that they broadcast their MPEG4 signal and this is where the issue has come from.

The TV works fine - will tune in MPEG4 stations and MHEG5 text if you use the UK as a location - if you use the UK as a Location as you correctly point out it will not tune in the Irish Radio stations

We have already been in touch with the Technical Service Manager and the General Manager at Philips Ireland ( I actually spoke to the Technical Service Manager as late as last Friday the 14th on this particular issue).

Philips have told me that they have contacted their technical department and that they are working on the issue - however unfortunately the actual fix for this is outside my control and I cannot provide you with a timeline as to when this issue will be resolved.

Thanks for your input and as ever please feel free to contact me if I can assist.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Hi Gary29428

Thanks for the question!

Very simple answer to this - Yes and No!

When watching 16:9 material from Sky/UPC, DVD or BluRay you have a couple of options.
    You can leave it in its native 16:9 ratio with black bars to the left and right sides of the image (called Pillar Boxing)

Or select one of the widescreen modes that will crop a little height from the top and bottom of the image and expand the sides of the image to fill the screen - this isnt as drastic as it may sound!

I can easily demo these options to you no problem

Call in if you'd like to see it in action.

Thanks for contacting us

atb
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,359 ✭✭✭positron

Ashley, do you have more of these sets in stock? Also, is there really no chance of getting the 5yr warranty? (can ask my nephew & niece to come and give you the puppydog eyes). And what is the current best offer on these now, with/without warranty? Thanks a million!

PS: Still undecided on getting this or a 47"/50" 3d

• Registered Users Posts: 8,885 ✭✭✭Soarer

The TV works fine - will tune in MPEG4 stations and MHEG5 text if you use the UK as a location - if you use the UK as a Location as you correctly point out it will not tune in the Irish Radio stations

Not to question your knowledge John, but I'm gonna do it anyway!:D

You sure the above is correct?
    I know when I set my tv to UK, the digital radio stations move up to channel 800+.

That's what they did the last time I did it anyway. Maybe the changes you talk about have happened in the interim? Or maybe I'm remembering wrong!

..and yes you can take the TV back no problem.

As I am sure most of you are aware RTE NL have recently made some small changes to the way that they broadcast their MPEG4 signal and this is where the issue has come from.

ATB,

John Mc & Crew

It is very disingenuous to suggest that RTE NL are somehow at fault for the fact that this TV does not conform to Saorview standard and Philips stating that they will not resolve the problem .... not good enough at all

56lcd wrote: »
    It is very disingenuous to suggest that RTE NL are somehow at fault for the fact that this TV does not conform to Saorview standard and Philips stating that they will not resolve the problem .... not good enough at all

Apologies for the delay coming back to you - I have also replied to your PM.

I think most Boardies who are familiar with this Forum will acknowledge that when we are at fault I will own up sharpish - in this instance I honestly don't feel that we have done anything incorrect.

We have never said that this TV is Saorview certified, (indeed when this TV was launched I doubt if the Saorview certification procedure was established and to date the only Saorview certified TV's are Walker branded TV's).

The 56" does however receive all the Irish MPEG4 TV stations and MHEG5 text no problem.

We have also not said that RTE NL are at fault for the 56" not being Saorview certified - I acknowledge that the TV is not Saorview certified.

As per my earlier posts I have personally spoken to the General Manager and the technical service Manager of Philips Ireland and neither of these people has said that Philips will not resolve the problem - however it is an issue that I personally cannot resolve as it requires a firmware upgrade - unfortunately as you may understand to engineer, test and release a firmware upgrade can take some time and this issue has only arisen in the relative recent past (ie the Radio stations disappearing!).

I do understand that you are upset - however as I say in my signature 'if you have a technical or sales query ...we will do our best to assist' today I cannot do any more than to offer you a refund.

Best regards,

John McDonald

• Advertisement

Hi Positron

I'm afraid i'm immune to "puppydog" eyes - i'm a cat person:D

The Philips 5 Year warranty offer finished on the 31st December and they wont extend it into January.

I'd say the likelihood of me seeing any more of these TV's is now very slim - we pre sold all we could pretty rapidly..

Re the large screen 3D TV's I can offer the following at

8 Series
    46PFL8605H SALE price of €1799.99
    52PFL8605H SALE Price of €2249.99

9 Series
    46PFL9705H SALE price of €2429.99

All the above come with 2 year warranty and can be sourced pretty quickly.

All bar the 52PFL8605H is on display so call on in and check 'em out eh?

Cheers
    Ash

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

I got one of these bad boys last week and it rocks ! who gives a <snip> about radio stations ? ITS A TELEVISION !!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment:

@gizabeer,

We normally discourage interventions in discussions between Richersounds and customers - in this case your experience with this TV as a Richersounds customer and the very concise nature of your contribution proves the exxception ! I've given it a very tiny snip, I'm sure you won't mind in the circumstances :).

@all,

If you are a Richersounds customer with a query relating to DTT compatibility, feel free to post a query of your own in this forum.

If you wish to discuss all matters terrestial TV, feel free to visit the Terrestial TV forum here on Boards - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=56 .

Thanks,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭gizabeer

No probs at all ! I just thought that with 56 inches of uber widescreen the last thing someone should be worring about is the radio :) . I LOVE this tv , my sitting room looks so much better and for €1300 its a bargain :D

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.