Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Erratic Broadband Connection

Options
  • 14-12-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, hope ye can help me out here!!

I contacted Eircom Broadband Support last night at 9:40pm. The guy I was dealing with was of absolute no help, he was rude & obnoxious.

I then tried logging my broadband issue online via the online form, but when I hit the submit button, nothing happened :confused:. Tried it a few times, all fields were filled in, but nothing happened!!

I tried ringing Broadband support again at 10pm, but was told the office is now closed!!

My problem is the connection is erratic, in the sense that it's really slow for about a minute or two and then it gets back to normal speed for another minute or two. Just keeps cycling like this. It's been like this for about a week.

I ran the speed test from the eircom site and the ping varied from 100ms to 171 ms. The download speed section takes some time and varies from 0.1Mb/s to 0.8Mb/s. The upload varies from 0.05Mb/s to 0.11Mb/s.
    I have the 1Mb package.

I have powered off the router a few times, for 30 secs and at times for a longer period and still no joy keeping a steady connection.
    I have connected the broadband connection from the router directly to the phone connection in the wall [removed the filter], still no joy keeping a steady connection.
    I have connected the yellow ethernet cable to the router, to eliminate any wireless issue and still not getting a steady connection.

Hope ye can help. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Hi DeadSkin,

Can you private message me with your eircom phone number so I can check your line and broadband connection.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

PM sent Mark.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Hi DeadSkin,

Thanks, for the details. I will check this out for you. I will need to give a lead time of five days to investigate in full but I will be back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks, Mark

Good stuff. Thanks Mark.

Hi DeadSkin,

Thanks, for the details. I will check this out for you. I will need to give a lead time of five days to investigate in full but I will be back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark, any update? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

DeadSkin wrote: »

Hi DeadSkin,

Thanks again for contact. I'm looking into your query at the minute. Mark is off until tomorrow.

I'll check this and update you.

Cheers
    Ant

Hi DeadSkin,

Thanks again. I've checked you broadband connection and logged in remotely to your modem and everything seems fine at the minute.

I’ve tested your phone line and this is showing up as ok as well.

I can't see any current problems with your broadband connection otherwise.
    Your broadband connection is synced at 1MB and this is showing up as being solidly connected (ALIVE) for the past days.

Your modem also appears fine and I have ran a full diagnostic test which shows no problems.
    The only thing this might suggest is that you are experiencing some local wireless problems.
    Therefore I have changed the wireless channel on your modem and restarted. I’d recommend that you test your modem on the main phone socket * http://bit.ly/aPwvTT.

Also ensure you move any wireless equipment away from the eircom modem (e.g: cordless phone, wireless printer, etc).
    Please let me know if I can be of further help.
    All the best
    Ant

Hi DeadSkin,

Thanks again. I've checked you broadband connection and logged in remotely to your modem and everything seems fine at the minute.

I’ve tested your phone line and this is showing up as ok as well.

I can't see any current problems with your broadband connection otherwise.
    Your broadband connection is synced at 1MB and this is showing up as being solidly connected (ALIVE) for the past days.

Your modem also appears fine and I have ran a full diagnostic test which shows no problems.
    The only thing this might suggest is that you are experiencing some local wireless problems.
    Therefore I have changed the wireless channel on your modem and restarted. I’d recommend that you test your modem on the main phone socket * http://bit.ly/aPwvTT.

Also ensure you move any wireless equipment away from the eircom modem (e.g: cordless phone, wireless printer, etc).
    Please let me know if I can be of further help.
    All the best
    Ant

Hi Ant,
    Thanks for the reply.

As per my first post, I have tried connecting to the main phone socket alone, not via filter, and this didn't solve the problem.
    I have also connected via ethernet cable to eliminate wireless, same again, doesn't fix the issue!
    The modem is always on, only times it has been switched off is to try and sort out my current problem.

You say its 'alive' the past few days, can you see results of it fading at any stages or see drop in speed?

I have only had this problem the past few weeks. There is a cordless phone on the same table as the modem, but it's been there since we got broadband with Eircom :confused:.

I just ran a few Eircom speed tests again and watching the download dial, it will shoot up to 0.8mb, go back down to 0.35m/b, the test seems to hang[approx 10-30 seconds] and then it will shoot back up over 0.8mb.
    Another test shows the download dial at .3mb starting out, again it stalls, shoot up to .6mb to 0.8mb.
    Pings vary from 100ms to 147 ms. Download speeds vary 0.05mb to 0.11mb.

Can I ask, can you run these tests on my line and if you can, can you see it stalling? Are you getting similar results?
    What results should I expect?

Thanks again.

Hi Eircom guys, any replies please?

Hi Ant,
    Thanks for the reply.

As per my first post, I have tried connecting to the main phone socket alone, not via filter, and this didn't solve the problem.
    I have also connected via ethernet cable to eliminate wireless, same again, doesn't fix the issue!
    The modem is always on, only times it has been switched off is to try and sort out my current problem.

You say its 'alive' the past few days, can you see results of it fading at any stages or see drop in speed?

I have only had this problem the past few weeks. There is a cordless phone on the same table as the modem, but it's been there since we got broadband with Eircom :confused:.

I just ran a few Eircom speed tests again and watching the download dial, it will shoot up to 0.8mb, go back down to 0.35m/b, the test seems to hang[approx 10-30 seconds] and then it will shoot back up over 0.8mb.
    Another test shows the download dial at .3mb starting out, again it stalls, shoot up to .6mb to 0.8mb.
    Pings vary from 100ms to 147 ms. Download speeds vary 0.05mb to 0.11mb.

Can I ask, can you run these tests on my line and if you can, can you see it stalling? Are you getting similar results?
    What results should I expect?

Thanks again.

Hi DeadSkin,

Thanks again for your query and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

I've re-checked your broadband connection and it still looks fine.
    You are currently synced at 1MB (on a home starter package) - attainables are very good and our authentication server indicates that your modem is solidly connected to the eircom broadband network.

I have checked with eircom Broadband Support and they logged a case for you on December 13th (3866808)
    At the time they recommended that you test your modem directly on the Master phone socket (mdp) (as indicated - http://bit.ly/cTw6pU Broadband Checklist).

I've logged on to your wireless modem and can see that an iphone (katy's iphone) may have connected over your wireless connection previously.

If you are doing a speed test again, please follow the Broadband checklist indicated above and please ensure that you connect only one computer, (shut down all other computers devices, iphones, wireless printers, etc)
    Remove the adsl splitter and temporarily disable any 3rd party equipment (Sky (boxes), Fax, private extension phone cables, etc.).

Your broadband download speed should average around 7.2MB (or 720KB)
    Your broadband upload speed should average at around 0.32MB

If you get the above readings with just one computer connected on the master phone socket then this is a good connection for your home starter package.

Please make sure you are not running any applications /programmes when doing the speedtest / or downloading files.

If you need to call broadband technical Support directly, please refer to your previous case reference :
    eircom Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (low call)

Please let me know if you still need assistance.
    Regards
    Ant

• Advertisement

The past week my connection has been ok.
    Router has been acting up a bit last night and today, 'red light' coming on.

Will keep an eye on things the next few days and will post back with any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Lamposts

I never get a good connection until after 12. Love the congestion on my line. Thanks Eircom!

Lamposts wrote: »
    I never get a good connection until after 12. Love the congestion on my line. Thanks Eircom!

Hi Lamposts ,

If you PM your telephone number and I will check that out for you.

Thanks,

Hi Mark, I'm pretty sure one of the guys on twitter checked my line months ago and said it was fine then I was told to call support and I was told to reset the router. Obviously that didn't work. I've tried changing dns addresses etc but nothing. I still get really bad ping times after 5pm and really crap download speeds until 12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi Mark, I'm pretty sure one of the guys on twitter checked my line months ago and said it was fine then I was told to call support and I was told to reset the router. Obviously that didn't work. I've tried changing dns addresses etc but nothing. I still get really bad ping times after 5pm and really crap download speeds until 12.

Hi Lampost
    sorry to hear you did not get a reply when you tweeted, but if you DM me your tel no. I can investigate this for you or If you DM your twitter name can get the info from there.
    Will do my best to resolve this issue for you.
    Tony

I sent a message to Mark about it. I'll send you one there now on boards.

Hi Lamposts,

If you like you can PM your twitter username and I can check the case history with us.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement