Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Ad creator

Options
  • 14-12-2010 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

Please re-direct me if necessary

Our company is going to be advertising on TV for the first time soon. However, we can't afford to pay a production company. The TV channel did a sample but it wasn't great. I imagine it would just be as easy to learn to use software myself rather than going back and forth asking someone else to make changes.

Can anyone recommend good software for creating an Ad for TV? Or MS powerpoint just as good as anything? Or can you do this on Windows media player or something like that?

It doesn't need to be anything particularly complicated, in fact I'd prefer if it was as straightforward as possible. Just so long as it looks professional

PS I wanted to post this on Marketing forum, but apparently it's discontinued

thanks
    John

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

How much does a TV ad cost to run? Do you really think Powerpoint is up to the job?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Mr_Ekan

Without being negative, if you can't afford a production company for your TVC, I'd question how much return on investment the TV station you're going to be running the ad on will be giving you.

Depending on what your selling, and who you're selling it to, you might be better to spend your money elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭gavney1

it's TV3, and it's on Christmas Day & Stephen's Day

costing 159eur + VAT per 20 second ad (22 ads in total) It's that cheap cause most companies don't bother with those two days. It happens to suit us though. Some of the ads are in poor slots (like the morning). but at least 12 of them are at good times.

@Justin Oval - no you're probably right, powerpoint probably wouldn't suffice

@Mr Ekan - well, tbh I know of companies who have spent loads on very expensive ads, which have ended being complete waste of time, and viewers can't even work out what product/brand the ad is promoting. Some of the simplest ads are often the most effective.

The reason we're doing these ads is cause they're so cheap. Each ad is working out about a third of the price of a 3/4 page ad in a regional newspaper, which is pretty good IMO.

I just need something that looks pretty professional. Anyone know of any good software?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Know any film students? ..with access to an editing suite with After Effects?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

gavney1 wrote: »
    The reason we're doing these ads is cause they're so cheap. Each ad is working out about a third of the price of a 3/4 page ad in a regional newspaper, which is pretty good IMO.

IMO it's better to have no ad, than a terrible one. But if you have to: turn on the city channel to look at some adverts that have been done cheaply so you know what to aim for. Flash, or some pre made video templates with access to premier or final cut would be the way probably

• Advertisement
Advertisement