Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finding it difficult to study.

• 14-12-2010 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Firstly, i know this is a fairly stupid problem.

Im in 6th year and the Christmas exams are right around the corner. I seem to find it almost impossible to study lately. Usually i just do my homework and usually i do that at around 11 or 12. That gets me by but lately i've realised that i am going to need to work a lot harder if i am going to get the points i want.

I just cant seem to pull myself away from the tv, computer, ps3, going out or any other vice that keeps me away from it. It's really hard to explain, in every other aspect of my life im a very diligent worker but i cannot seem to work up the willpower to open my books. I just always put something ahead of it and cant stop myself.

Has anyone else had an issue like this and more importantly does anyone have any idea what i could do about it? (please refrain from "study dumbass")

Thanks.

ps- I've read all the regular study tips and have tried them out but i cant seem to stick to them at all.
    Also, i forgot to mention that whenever i do go to study or i am nagged about not studying i feel very overwhelmed and get very stressed very quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I know this is not what you want to hear but the only person whose going to get you up studying is yourself. 6th year is really crunch time now.

What you could try is pick like 5 goals for each day and tick them off (ie two maths exam questions, chemistry chapter 5, History chap 7 etc etc).

The other thing is just don't go on the computer or playstation in the first place until after you've done your study.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Don't know if you have had Christmas tests yet//got the results but I got 4 of my results yesterday and that has really kicked me into shape to study for the mocks!

I know I am capable of doing so much better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 notstudying

"What you could try is pick like 5 goals for each day and tick them off (ie two maths exam questions, chemistry chapter 5, History chap 7 etc etc)."

This might be a good idea actually. I have tried all sorts of study timetables before but can't seem to stick to them, however i am good at project work and getting tasks with a definate end to them done so this might work a lot better, ill get back to you.

---

"Don't know if you have had Christmas tests yet//got the results but I got 4 of my results yesterday and that has really kicked me into shape to study for the mocks!

I know I am capable of doing so much better! "

They are starting this week, hence the sudden worries.

---

I tried very hard today but only got about an hour done.

---

Anyone else got any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

Right, do a bit each night for the tests the following day. They are only Christmas Tests. They don't count. The mocks don't even count.

Admit that you won't achieve your best and then move on.

I'm seriously thinking of deleting my facebook account, if you have one that's a suggestion. Ask your parents to keep the xbox and only give it to you on Saturday afternoon and take it back Sunday night.

If you remove your distractions, you could bore yourself into studying! I'm hoping it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,909 ✭✭✭ebbsy

The best tip I ever had for studying was to just learn keywords rather than paragraphs, then in the exam jot them down beside the questions and build the paragraphs around them.

It also helped me study as I had less to look at.

• Advertisement

"I'm seriously thinking of deleting my facebook account, if you have one that's a suggestion. Ask your parents to keep the xbox and only give it to you on Saturday afternoon and take it back Sunday night."

Luckily i don't use facebook too much so that's not much of an issue. As for the games, in a rare act of common sense i threw the games into the attic. my mate has a playstation so if i really want to play ill go to his.

---

"The best tip I ever had for studying was to just learn keywords rather than paragraphs, then in the exam jot them down beside the questions and build the paragraphs around them."

I dont find worded subjects difficult (economics, geography etc) very difficult. What i really have the issue with is maths and physics. When i do study the worded subjects (usually on the bus before a test) i pick it up fairly quickly. But im basically scratching a D in maths and not passing physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Get your exam papers and practice from them. If you see a question that you honestly don't have a clue about, mark it and then find what chapter covers it. Go over that chapter and answer the questions, and take a stab at the exam paper again.

Especially with subjects like Maths, it's a waste of time simply working from the book as the questions can be dramatically different. Use your book/revision book to get a base on a section of a subject then start testing yourself with the exam papers.

I feel your pain and it is so easy to get bored and do something else, but just think to yourself, this is your last chance to stick it to the system and prove yourself, so give it your all. Personally I don't believe in studying for massive blocks of time either, think of it more in "I will complete x, y, and z" and give yourself a rough time estimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Im the same as Ciaramb92, didnt study one bit for the christmas tests and got most of the results and was really pissed off because i know i could have done so much better. I used to be the same as u, say im going to do study but something always distracted me and i ended up doing it at around 12 o clock, now i do my homework every day when i come in and no study but hey you have to start somewhere!

Start by trying to do your homework when you come in from school then when you can consistently do that then try do study, maybe start off at half an hour, then move it up to an hour and so on...

"Get your exam papers and practice from them. If you see a question that you honestly don't have a clue about, mark it and then find what chapter covers it. Go over that chapter and answer the questions, and take a stab at the exam paper again."

Only issue is that in the really problematic subjects i have no idea how to start a lot of questions in the exam papers :(.

---

" didnt study one bit for the christmas tests and got most of the results and was really pissed off because i know i could have done so much better."

i have done badly before though, like ive seen my fair share of D's and even the odd E on tests since 5th year but even though i do get disappointed in myself and tell myself i can do better i don't really take any action in the long-term.

---

I think im just going to have to try and kick myself in the backside and do it. Everytime i think about it i start feeling sick though, i don't know why i am so lazy and even scared to an extent of studying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

The only thing you can do with maths and physics is endlessly practice questions and look at the solutions on the internet. Remember you can always go up to your teacher at the end of class to help you with a particular question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I second what crayolastereo said, making a timetable of actual chapters or whatever to study is so much more effective than "5-6: English, 6-7: Chemistry" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Look, you're either serious about it or you're not. Studying is sitting down and doing the work and it's not easy way and there's no particularly easy way of doing it, just more efficient ways and the like, but different ways suit different people and it becomes a very personalised thing after a while.

Work in school is equally important, paying attention in class, etc. Your work at home should be revision, which is much, much easier than learning stuff, which should be done at school.

There is one tip for study I can give, the place you study should be free from distractions. Your PS3, TV, or whatever else you have should not be in the same room you study.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

I was the same last year and what helped me was before I started studying i'd make out a timetable for the day of study and sayt for example:
    Maths-2 exam questions, 40mins
    Geo-1 essay 30 mins
    English-notes on two pems 40mins
    DCG-1 exam question 30mins
    French-1 letter 25mins
    etc.
    etc.

And I'd always put a box after each line and whenever I finished one I'd tick it off so I could see the progress I was making visually.I always took a few minutes break in between and 1 or 2 big ones but I never played playstation during them as I'd keep putting off going back up.It's handy cause once you know youre on a time limit you get your things done and it's not "ya im going studying now for 4 hours straight"....That's what worked for me and believe me I was the worst procrastinator(still am):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Give your computer etc to someone you trust to keep it. After a few days you won't miss it. I've had many students come to me with this problem. One even got me to lock his controls from his Xbox into my locker at work from Mon-Fri, sounds daft but some weekends he didn't even ask for them then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 309 ✭✭DaveMur1

ebbsy wrote: »
    The best tip I ever had for studying was to just learn keywords rather than paragraphs, then in the exam jot them down beside the questions and build the paragraphs around them.

It also helped me study as I had less to look at.

This advice is very good for some, subjects like:
    Geography.
    Business.
    English.
    All you really need to this is understand what you're saying and be able to explain it.It's a pity it can't be used for every subject though.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mulner92

Would after school study help? Only thing is it can be expensive. Writing out flashcards can help or even make up a song on a topic with a familiar sog rhythm you like. I know sounds weird but it can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭deereidy

did you say you finish your homework at 11 or 12 o clock at night? i personally find that doing work at a certain time your mind is more alert and therefore less likely to be distracted. Coming up to my leaving cert when I had days off I used to just study with my everyday school timetable as a guide e.g. start at 9 with french, then do maths at 9:45 etc though that was closer to my actual leaving cert. The best I can reccomend is to stick to a routine and try to remove all your vices. I've given my boyfreind my facebook password over the college exam period :P

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Zhavey

mulner92 wrote: »
    Would after school study help? Only thing is it can be expensive. Writing out flashcards can help or even make up a song on a topic with a familiar sog rhythm you like. I know sounds weird but it can help.

I highly reccomend after-school study. It makes you do work, otherwise your sitting there for 2 and a half hours doing feck-all.As long as you make even just a wee to-do list in your head to give a rough guide on what to do so you your not really stuck for staring into space. It costs €60 (which you have to pay on the first day of study) for a term here. I just asked the principle for it to be cheaper with money tight at home and I only have to pay €10 at the end of a term. They can't really bite your head off. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Fear is a great motivator. Imagine how terrible you'll feel if you do poorly in the exams and imagine the anxiety afterwards and the worried thoughts you'll face up to the mocks. That's what works for me anyway.

Advertisement