Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tactics Ogre PSP

Options
  • 14-12-2010 3:08pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else really looking forward to this game as well. It's a complete remake of a classic SNES SRPG. It was made by the team that eventually went on to make FF Tactics. It has multiple paths through the game but the big difference with this version is you can rewind time to see how the other choices would have affected the story. The original game was stupidly hard and the auto-levelling made the game totally unbalanced but it's been sorted out in this release. It's selling extremely well in Japan and the original game is held up by the japanese as having the best written story of any japanese videogame. It's got one of the best soundtracks composed for a game (Hitoshi Sakimoto did a lot of the tracks) and the translation and localisation is being handled by Alexander O. Smith (Vagrant Story, FF12) so it will be superb.

Can't wait!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

I can't wait either! I'm torn between wanting the limited edition or just get the download release so I can have it with me at all times. Those art cards look so good! I just love that art style.

The other thing that excited me when I heard about this game was that Matsuno was back at Square-Enix making games - albeit a remaster of sorts. But it would be interesting to see if he will be working on any new projects

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Yeah really glad he was back. It's a pity he left halfway through FF12. It was really obvious the game was far from finished and the game just cut to the end halfway through. It was like, this is starting to get really interesting, oh wait here's a giant battleship that appeared out of know where with the final bosses on board. I'd really love to know what happened to him during development.

Hope he does make new games because he's made some of my favourite games ever and is far and away the most talented member at Square and all his games have interesting and intrigued filled stories rather than the usual anime cliche that is most of squares other work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

After playing Jeanne D'Arc I found it really hard to play FF Tactics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    After playing Jeanne D'Arc I found it really hard to play FF Tactics.

Seriously? I haven't finished Jeanne D'Arc, not even close but think FF T is the much better game. Jeanne is a much easier game and flows a lot better it's more fun. However FF T is the more rewarding game. Some of those battles are ridiculously tough and beating them was very satidfying because you really had to strategise.

I suppose Jeane is far more accessible and FF Tactics can make you hate it since it's bastard hard and requires a lot of levelling to beat but it was damn satisfying to beat.

I'm sure it is a technology thing.

Tactics is essentially a PS1 game and has awful camera angles, contrast, graphics, colours etc compared to Jeanne.

• Advertisement

Well thinking about it I can see how you could have that opinion. I had to restart FF Tactics twice before I managed to finish it and even then it could be very frustrating. Both damn good games and it's pretty much personal preference. I did think the satisfaction of beating FF Tactics and its ending made it very much worthwhile, it's definitely the hardest RPG I've ever finished. I'd probably feel the same if I beat Jeanne D'Arc though. Shame on me recommending Jeanne D'Arc all the time and hardly having played it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

FFT still is the hallmark srpg in my heart :) you control the camera angle in FFT >_> the graphics is still awesome unless you play them on 40'' tv =_= the trick to play every pre-ps2 rpg is to have 3-4 saves after you passed a chapter, just in case you fcked up the built up of the characters you can replay it again from an earlier point. from my experience FFT is such a player friendly srpg, i have had more frustration with SuperRobotWar/Fire Emblem/chocobo's dungeon/grandia games.

Tactics Ogre rereleased is such a weird move from SE but i am glad they do it!!now if i can get a psp from some friend....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

I liked FF tactics and will more than likely get Tactics Ogre (having never played the original), but I found it rather bland after playing the Nippon Ichi SRPG's. Sure it was more challenging but it was just a bit dull at times?

The PSP releases (mostly in the US) have been amazing these days, I feel they will be it's legacy and it will be known as an RPG console...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

This is out tomorrow,so........who's getting it?

I'd get it but Gamestop are an absolute useless shower. I'm not sure they ordered in any copies. I'm broke but have a voucher for gamestop so it's the only place I can get it. Went in to the local one today to ask if they could preorder it for me and if they would hold it until sunday since I can't collect it on saturday. Seems they haven't any in yet and don't know if they will have any in at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Definately getting this tomorrow. Gamestop are doing the normal version only but hmv are doing the limited edition according to their websites. Now all i need is a remake of Ogre Battle or ogre battle 64 and ill die happy.

One thing i dont like about this release is the multiplayer tho, or lack of, fighting ghosts of another persons team is just not the same. Anywho, many late late nights are in my future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

So this game is good?

So this game is good?

From what I've read it's ****ing amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

The art book makes this so tempting. Don't know if gamestop are going to get it though. Tried to pre order it earlier in the month and according to their system it was due out feb 1st. It was like the 4th when I did this.

The only gamestop that has this game is one of them up in dublin, nowhere else around the country according to the sellsperson in my local store. There were only 2 copies in any store who sells video games in limerick and it was hmv. Special addition comes with a mini soundtrack too :D

How crazy that when i get this home my psp wont read any umds, its been on the blink but why now....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Gonna be in dublin tomorrow,anywhere in the city centre have it?

Finally got this game, had to go all the way out to blanchardstown to get it in a Gamestop. Think they might have only 2 left if any.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Finally got this game, had to go all the way out to blanchardstown to get it in a Gamestop. Think they might have only 2 left if any.

How much did it cost you?

Have a 20e gamestop card from xmas.

Have a backlog of games to get through but something about this makes me want to play it now.

EDIT: Lemmie know what you think.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Well balls, is anywhere stocking the limited edition?

It was 35 euro. All copies seem to be limited edition. I heard HMV's got some copies in. Not playing it for a while. I'm concentrating on Mother 3 at the moment.

• Advertisement

Not one shop in the city centre had it,oh well.

It seems as though Ireland may have gotten a dozen copies, if even, around the country if limerick only got two and dublin a handful. A mate tried Game in limerick recently and they said "the release date had been pushed back" and that they would be getting them in monday, but take that with a pinch of salt seen as they basically started the conversation with a lie.

Got this in GAME in the ilac center this evening. The artbook is nice but the hardcover on such a slim volume kinda makes it hard to open some pages.
    I asked them how much they had left in stock and yer man said about 3 so that might be your best bet to start off with looking for it.

Game in Limerick have at least 1 copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭CDH

Missed my chance at getting the one copy in Galway, if anyone see's a copy let me know.

Looks like I'll be ordering this online.

Advertisement