Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about micro sims....

Options
  • 14-12-2010 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi guys, hopefully someone can answer a quick question for me.

So, I am currently living in the UK but come home to Ireland regularly to visit friends, family etc. Before I come home for Christmas I'm going to buy an iPhone from 3 UK. The nice people at 3 UK (not sure if they do the same in Ireland) will unlock the phone for a fee of £15 so any sim card can be used. Perfect for whenever I make a trip home....but the iPhone takes a micro sim.

Basically my question is this, will I be able to replace my current Irish sim card with a new micro sim to use when I'm home? I'm on payg on 3.

I know I can cut it down myself but would prefer not to as I may sometimes need to use it in a non iPhone when I'm in London.

Any help or advice would be really appeciated, I will give 3 a ring when I'm home next week.

Cheers,
    Kev.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

the iPhone 4? if it is i didnt know the 4 was unlockable yet :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Gooch2k4 wrote: »
    the iPhone 4? if it is i didnt know the 4 was unlockable yet :/
    Why would it not be unlockable? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Gooch2k4

Oh wait im being dense >_> i really should read posts properly

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

KetzerF wrote: »
    I know I can cut it down myself but would prefer not to as I may sometimes need to use it in a non iPhone when I'm in London.
    This won't help - MicroSIMs don't work very well in phones not designed for them. Looking at the manual for my own phone, they explicitly say to never use a MicroSIM, even in an adaptor. I imagine your results will depend greatly on how the other phone holds the SIM in place. Better to just get another account, and dream about a world where operators allowed more than one SIM per number (it's in the GSM standard, and has been done abroad...)
    Any help or advice would be really appeciated, I will give 3 a ring when I'm home next week.
    Cheers,
    Kev.
    A friend bought an unlocked iPhone4 abroad, and got a MicroSIM from O2 without much difficultly; I imagine Meteor would be the same. There was a fairly long delay in getting it, though, but this may be better now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KetzerF

Thanks Kris.

I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a micro sim easily enough, I should have said that I don't care what operator I'm on since I'll only be using it the few weeks a year that I'm in Ireland.

I'm just hoping That I'll be able to get a micro sim for payg as I don't want to get a sim only plan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭n900guy

You can cut and it will work fine, and use an adaptor to use the microSIM in a regular SIM-sized slot. They all work without any problems. The adaptors are a few quid or you can make one yourself with an old credit card.

The only part that is different is the size of the plastic around the chip part. There is absolutely no reason why a microSIM in a SIM adaptor will not function just the same, which is why there are so many adaptors available.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 KetzerF

n900guy wrote: »
    You can cut and it will work fine, and use an adaptor to use the microSIM in a regular SIM-sized slot. They all work without any problems. The adaptors are a few quid or you can make one yourself with an old credit card.

The only part that is different is the size of the plastic around the chip part. There is absolutely no reason why a microSIM in a SIM adaptor will not function just the same, which is why there are so many adaptors available.

If I've no luck getting a micro sim from 3 (or any other network) I'll use a cutter and adaptor, if I screw it up I can always get a new one :)

Advertisement