Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating, Resitting and Substituting

Options
  • 14-12-2010 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭

So having scoured the UCD website for days I've decided to give up and ask some questions

First question !

I'm in 2nd year arts, and since I'm in stage 2 and there's no stage 3, are all my compensated grades counted at the end of my two years of stage 2 or else are they compensated at the end of 2nd year?

Second Question !

If 2nd year stands on it own. Compensation only applies if you pass 75% of your modules. So what if I fail 3 modules and resit two? Do those 2 resits not count towards compensation?

Third Question !

If those resits don't count towards compensation and I substitute two modules then have those two grades count towards compensation?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As far as I know, you would be compensated at the end of third year. I could be wrong but I've seen lots of people beginning third year with less than 50 credits. Presumably they would have compensated if they could. I would note that if you did start third year with less than 50 credits, you would not be able to register on the same day as most 3rd year students. So you would not have as much choice as those with 60 credits.

Did you read this page? http://www.ucd.ie/students/resits_repeats/

Or the General Regulations? http://www.ucd.ie/registry/academicsecretariat/academic_regs.pdf. Skip to page 21 for info pertinent to your question. I haven't read it all, but there are about 5 pages of information there. Your question might be answered. If not, call into the student desk.

As a sidenote, those 2 links would be very handy if they were stickied as the answers to so many questions on Boards are normally in there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You can only compensate at the end of a stage. Here's what the Arts handbook says:
    You will find out if you can compensate for a failed module only at the END of a Stage.
    - Stage 1 takes a minimum of two semesters to complete.
    - Stage 2 takes a minimum of four semesters to complete.
    http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/babooklet2010.pdf

OSI wrote: »
    Should be at end of 2nd year

I'd be amazed if that was true. Logically it is at the end of a stage, therefore it is third year.

For the OP, are substitutions or re-sits not an option?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I would note that if you did start third year with less than 50 credits, you would not be able to register on the same day as most 3rd year students. So you would not have as much choice as those with 60 credits.
    Are you sure about this? I haven't come across it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Hey just wondering do ya still have to pay the 230 euro repeat/resit fee if you are compensating?

• Advertisement

Are you sure about this? I haven't come across it anywhere.

Positive as it was part of my job. When Stage 2 Year 2 registration dates are given, the first date given always say for students with 50 credits or above. Anybody under that has to wait. It acts as a de facto bonus for students who do better, so they get first choice.

Here is the announcement from UCD Registry on August 18th.
    Continuing Stage 2 BA students who have earned at least 50 credits at Stage 2 can begin online registration today.
    Full details are available at: http://www.ucd.ie/acshs/registration10_continuingstage2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Bryan4president

domrush wrote: »
    Hey just wondering do ya still have to pay the 230 euro repeat/resit fee if you are compensating?

No you don't, as your technically passing the subject.

Advertisement