Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

kid faces explulsion for organising protest against budget

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

AntiMatter wrote: »
    Yip, round and round you go again.
    You seem to have forgotten the answer to the question. Or are you just refusing to answer it? (If you've already answered it, I apologise, but I don't see it anywhere, so a link would be appreciated)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No, you're right. Self preservation is probably best.

Self preservation, from what? The school? you can't be serious right?

This is exactly what I meant by not making revolutionaries out of them. There is no cause they are fighting.

He walked out of the school when he was not permitted or excused to.

During school hours, the responsibility of his well being, lies entirely with the school.

The issue to be addressed by the school is him flaunting that and inciting other pupils from other schools to do the same thing.

There is no "man pulling on his chain," that school has various opening times during the week, Mondays / Tuesdays closed at 3:30, Wednesdays / Thursdays / Fridays closed at 3:00. There is no shortage of time for these students to protest after school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I always find it funny that when people break the rules by excercising their "democratic right" they're the first ones crying about it when they're punished. The world just doesn't stop every time there's a protest on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

turbot wrote: »
    It's appauling that young people, showing initiative, are treated in such a manner.

It's the gross incompetence of the generation of people of the age of the school head and board, and their lack of independent thought and speaking out against practices that were prevalent throughout society that significantly contributed to our current economic situation.

The contact details for the school are on this page:

http://www.moyleparkcollege.ie/contact.htm

Lets all write to the school and express our opinion.

Staging a walk out of school for something that is nothing to do with the school isn't showing innitiative in fact it's pretty dumb, especially as this student is in his leaving cert year. The teachers were acting on their responsibility to the school the parents and the students by keeping them there, admittedly locking the doors was silly but they had every right and a duty of care to keep the students there.
    It's the gross incompetence of the generation of people of the age of the school head and board, and their lack of independent thought and speaking out against practices that were prevalent throughout society that significantly contributed to our current economic situation.

You're making some pretty wild accusations here, are you trying to say everybody from that generation should be held accountable for the state of the country now? How do you know that some of those teachers themselves weren't out protesting on there own time?

Expressing your opinion to the school is just silly, pointless and something i would expect from a liveline caller.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

28064212 wrote: »
    You seem to have forgotten the answer to the question. Or are you just refusing to answer it? (If you've already answered it, I apologise, but I don't see it anywhere, so a link would be appreciated)

I've repeatedly refused to answer it. Do you want a link to those posts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

More like bad parenting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Look I'm all for adolescent/teenage rebellion seeing as I'm 19 but in all fairness the school was right to do that.

Secondary school is a different set up entirely and I cant image his parents would be too pleased for him leaving the school.

Now expulsion is a bit much but a few days suspension,maybe lines hah.

I've repeatedly refused to answer it. Do you want a link to those posts?
    No I can see those. So your position is that any student can walk out of school without parental or school permission, depending on the 'cause' they're doing it for (which you refuse to elaborate on, other than to say protesting against the IMF is one of them)?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

this is same as the guy who did something with his hair during the summer knowing quite well it was against the school's discipline policy and then complained when the school took action.
    He knew what he was doing and like everyone in society , you have to face consequences of your actions

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

See this is where common sense should kick in, but somehow it's lacking.

This kid was doing something positive, showing initiative and moral responsibility. Granted he was young, but common sense says he's going to a protest about the wreck of a country he's going to inherit in the future.

If kids want to leave school they should be able to, not locked into the building. The standard punishment for truancy is detention, or suspension not expulsion. I really hope this kid goes into politics and does something good for the country.

Also Can anyone get his name or the facebook group set up to show support...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

terenc wrote: »
    More like bad parenting.
    11 pages before Discussion of Teenagers Stock Response #1 made an appearance, I am impressed...

smegmar wrote: »
    See this is where common sense should kick in, but somehow it's lacking.

This kid was doing something positive, showing initiative and moral responsibility. Granted he was young, but common sense says he's going to a protest about the wreck of a country he's going to inherit in the future.
    And yet doesn't have the iniative to do it on his own time, or just get permission from his parents or the school
    If kids want to leave school they should be able to
    No they shouldn't, for reasons which I hope are fairly obvious
    The standard punishment for truancy is detention, or suspension not expulsion. I really hope this kid goes into politics and does something good for the country.
    He is getting the standard punishment. This wasn't truancy, this was him inciting other students to leave school grounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭AntiMatter

28064212 wrote: »
    No I can see those. So your position is that any student can walk out of school without parental or school permission, depending on the 'cause' they're doing it for (which you refuse to elaborate on, other than to say protesting against the IMF is one of them)?

My position is to say I admire this young lad and his cohorts for engaging in protest against the government and IMF bailout last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭vintac34

My position is to say I admire this young lad and his cohorts for engaging in protest against the government and IMF bailout last week.

Must say i also admire him for his efforts,shows he is interested in whats happening to the country!!!

Shaping up as a future leader. Need more like him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

surely a week suspension should be the absolute maximum for what was essentially a bloke going on the mitch?

vintac34 wrote: »
    Must say i also admire him for his efforts,shows he is interested in whats happening to the country!!!

Shaping up as a future leader. Need more like him!
    Yeah, we really need yet another leader that thinks that that rules don't apply to him, just everyone else. It worked so well with Haughey and Aheren
    Helix wrote: »
    surely a week suspension should be the absolute maximum for what was essentially a bloke going on the mitch?
    Which is not what he's being disciplined for. He's being treated exactly the same as he would have been treated if he had organised a walk-out to the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

Some sap tries to cause trouble and look cool. Expel him.

Advertisement