Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tempura battered prawns

Options
  • 14-12-2010 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

wondering if any of you can help, I'm making a meal tonight with a started of tempura battered prawns.

firstly, the prawns are the ready cooked frozen ones (talk about doing things on a budget!) and also all the recipes for tempura batter I have found use soda water, I am just wondering if usual tap water will suffice or if I should get some sparkling water just to be safe....

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PTO

as far as I'm aware its the gas in soda water/fizzy water that makes tempura batter so light and crispy so you should probably use at least sparkling water!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If you use a bit of baking soda/self-raising flour, could be a good substitute.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

enda1 wrote: »
    If you use a bit of baking soda/self-raising flour, could be a good substitute.
    Also baking soda will react with acids to make its own carbon dioxide. so if you mixed up batter and put in baking soda you could then add some lemon juice as the acid and it will increase in volume when it releases gas, I do this with pancakes to make the lighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Bear in mind that they will be a bit rubbery, as you are cooking them twice. This is no tragedy, but if you do it with raw prawns the next time around, they will be more tender. Good luck!

Advertisement