Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not enough protest songs!!

Options
  • 14-12-2010 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Remember back in the day when musicians had something to say about what was going on in society? What happened?

Lets get it going again..

Came across this guy.. There may be more, but they're awful quiet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2grtroU3N20
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Not really a UCC issue.

Moved to Music forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

kielya1 wrote: »
    but they're awful quiet.

Quite Awful?Yeah.
    Musicians still have something to say about society, but hearing the same thing we read and watch on tv all day in what I see as an escape from the mundanity and horribilities(it's a word now) seems boring and depressing(and not in a good way).A lot of musicians do comment on society and its ills, but they usually aren't as subtle as 'got bricks to build huts but I need planning soon, got a buddy in politics you'll have it by noon'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I don't get the whole notion of needing protest songs. If you need musicians to give you lessons in politics you've got to be pretty retarded…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kielya1

Well, I see what you're saying. I like that guys effort all the same. At least he's giving it a lash. I'm not saying that song will stand the test of time (gone by tomorrow probably!) but very few artists are creating stuff that people will listen to in years to come. Some of our countrys most popular radio stations are those that focus on oldies. Todays offerings are dull and lifeless. Or am I just getting old?!

Android 666 - Again, fair enough. But I'm not looking for a lesson from anyone, least of all a musician! Its just nice to have a musical record of events in time I think.. And I am retarded. And we prefer the term Dribbling Nutbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

kielya1 wrote: »
    but very few artists are creating stuff that people will listen to in years to come. Some of our countrys most popular radio stations are those that focus on oldies. Todays offerings are dull and lifeless. Or am I just getting old?!

I think there is an abundance of music that will be remembered fondly in the future.What sort of music do you normally listen to?'Cause I'm guessing that what radios are playing isn't that highest form of art..well..in my mind anyway. Political content aside, I think there is some truly mindblowing **** out there nowadays, you just have to look in the right places.

"You just have to look in the right places" - you got that spot on Sir. In a way, I like that the radio plays rubbish most of the time. It's often better to find musical gems hidden away. A sort of cult mentality can develop sometimes, which can be quite fun, when you are privvy to some cracking music that not many know of. When artists become huge, hey often lose an edge that set them apart in the first place. By the way, I'm in my 30s so chances are I'm a fossil compared to many posters here in the music section! My music collection is heavily biased towards people who are now dead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

English singer, only early in her career, but I think she is pretty good:

Less than flattering still to start the vid with mind!

Aye, good on her.. I like that too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Damien Dempsey?
    Sing all our cares away http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8i-nWTRAwc
    Or the brilliant Ghosts of overdoseshttp://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7FhaO2m3C4

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

dooferoaks wrote: »
    English singer, only early in her career, but I think she is pretty good:

Less than flattering still to start the vid with mind!

rare that someone so young has a sincerity in her delivery that's not amiss in someone who's been doing that alot longer.

Like a younger, female billy bragg with more of a modern outlook. I'll keep my ear out for her. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I don't get the whole notion of needing protest songs. If you need musicians to give you lessons in politics you've got to be pretty retarded…
    But you can't expect the common public to understand what it's all about, not all of them anyway. You need the people to get behind eachother for things such as protests, and Music is the most universal medium around. I don't need music to understand the political nature of things, I like to consider myself an intelligent chap - but others won't know without it.

What would have come of the protests of the late 60's, early 70's without folk music, rock, blues and even the likes of a heavy metal band like Black Sabbath (not necessarily protest music, but the subject is resembling the feelings and politics perfectly, except darker than the previously named genres)? Back then, Music is what made everything happen. My fear today is, if we had these songs, they'd be a lot less accessible as it was then, as popular music has become the stuff of the small minded and braindead, with musically retarded listeners.

Advertisement