Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dolphins spotted of killiney bay

Options
  • 14-12-2010 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

i have just seen the photos http://www.dalkeyphotos.com/
    anybody seen these ?
    what would they be feeding on ? herring / whiting
    are they still there
    i would be interested if anybody has spotted them recently as i would like to see them in the flesh .
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Keep an eye on the Irish Whale and Dolphin group website. You'll get a good idea of where is your best chance of see them locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I think they are porpoises, I fish at the back of the Island when the weather is better and see them regular, they follow the boats

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

uch wrote: »
    I think they are porpoises, I fish at the back of the Island when the weather is better and see them regular, they follow the boats

as far as i know these are bottled nosed dolphins as i was reading an article in the paper the other day (could be wrong im no expert ;))
    iv seen the porpoises you mention loads of times but always taught of them to be of a brown colour and to be around in the summer ,as iv said im no expert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I seen them a few times fishing in front of the tea rooms during the summer they're deffo dolphins they came really close to the shore, scared the fish off too as i got very little when they were around

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

pad180 wrote: »
    as far as i know these are bottled nosed dolphins as i was reading an article in the paper the other day (could be wrong im no expert ;))
    iv seen the porpoises you mention loads of times but always taught of them to be of a brown colour and to be around in the summer ,as iv said im no expert

Actually looking at picture's again I think you are correct, porpoises don't have a big Snout, it's more blunt and round, the one's in the picture seem to have a big hooter

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

spotted off Bray harbour

photo5ih.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 broadbanddub

I saw two of them today 11/03/2011 at Killiney Bay just off White Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Moved from angling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

How easy or hard is it to see them?Anytime I'm out around Killiney on an effort watch,I never see them.I've seen harbour porpoises off Greystones a couple of years ago but these dolphins never show up when I'm there.Seems to be a pattern to the time of day they are in the bay.

I usually try to spot them from the drop in point where you can go swimming and I do bring the binoculars.All I can see is birds which is really annoying when you think you've seen one.

Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Spotted these guys off Kilcoole Beach this morning, a group of 3 maybe 4, moving south. Not much detail in the photo's but they were very long and black. A couple of people on the beach said they were Pilot Whales because they had no snout like the Dolphin.. Any ideas anyone or are they Dolphins...

img3968t.jpg

img3966j.jpg

img3967o.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement