Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MSC in the UK, funding

Options
  • 14-12-2010 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Heya
    I am a final year biomedical student applying to several MScs in the UK and i was wondering should i get the Masters, how hard would it to be fund myself?
    My plan of action is to get a job when i finish 4th year and work every hour possible and then probably get a job over in manchester to keep myself going then.
    Is this a feasible idea in these recesionarry times?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I don't think the problem would really be finding a job (in England anyway), but will you have time to work and do you MSc at the same time? I put a lot of hours into my MSc and there's no way I would have had time to work. I have no funding (for my PhD) so I'm doing it part time so I can work.

• Incredibly difficult, I'd imagine. I had a scholarship which covered my rent and basic living costs and a part time job of 8 or so hours a week (along with freelance work for which I could set my own hours) and I found it hard to have time to do my work and sufficiently rest/relax. Even with the job, I could just about afford to go out for a meal once a week and have a few drinks. Then again, I was living in London which is really expensive, and I do spend a lot of money on prescriptions and other medical stuff. But it really depends on where you live and what your workload is like. If your rent is cheap and cost of living is cheap, it could be doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 FakeSheikh

Hey there, I'm in a similar position to the OP, so I said I'd join the discussion.

Izzy, can I ask how you came across the scholarship? Are these scholarships difficult to receive?

I'm guessing some sort of Bank Loan will be required. For a 12 month course, how much money approx would be required to cover a semi-acceptable standard of living?

• FakeSheikh wrote: »
    Hey there, I'm in a similar position to the OP, so I said I'd join the discussion.

Izzy, can I ask how you came across the scholarship? Are these scholarships difficult to receive?

I'm guessing some sort of Bank Loan will be required. For a 12 month course, how much money approx would be required to cover a semi-acceptable standard of living?

It's the main scholarship for UK students, the one from the research councils (mine was from the Arts and Humanities Research Council). I would say they're difficult to receive - it depends where you apply and what for, but I think the success rate is below 5%. The better you did in undergrad, the more chance you have. My scholarship was about £850 a month for 12 months and that was just about enough to survive on (in London), eating Tesco Value food and never going out. I had a job which brought in another £300 per month and then I was comfortable enough. So about a grand a month should be OK for London, less for elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

If you save up around 18000 sterling and get campus accomadation at a reasonable rate 4500-5000 for the year, whereby you don't have to pay bills then yes its doable. You should read up on funding opportunities by going onto the sites of the courses you've applied for, there should be pdfs on how to get it. Irc you won't be able to qualify for the more generous bursaries as they require you to be a resident for three years in the country. However you may be able to apply for a 1000 sterling bursary if you obtain a 1.1 in your BSc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 johnflan

anyone with experiences getting bank loans for MSc study in the UK?

Advertisement