Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

introducing dogs

• 14-12-2010 5:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

hi

i got a white german shepherd today..1yr old.. i already have two jack russels..one 1yrs and the other around 4yrs..

do these breeds get along ok. i havent introduced them yet. whats the best way to do this.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Ok I just had to post because I had to deal with exactly this about a month ago.

I have a JRTx 2 yrs old. I thought it was time to get her a friend, my boyfriend and I had been talking about a GSD for a long time and settled on getting one. An opportunity came up where I could get a 4 yr old GSD from a shelter and we took this op.

I took one of Leela's (JRT) toys with me to first meet Charlie (GSD). He had a sniff of it and when I took it home Leela got his scent off it too. We were told to do this by our dog walker.

Then when I went to pick Charlie up I took Leela and we walked them together. This part is very important. They have to be introduced on a neutral ground.

We then took them both home. I took Charlie around on a lead first to suss out the house (he was never in a home before the vet/shelter volunteers guessed) and to correct him for doing something we didn't like straight away. That way we were leading him and he knew what he could and couldn't do from day 1. Leela followed us around the house, also growling at him whenever he went near her food etc.

We were lucky, Leela has always been a dominant dog and Charlie was happy to let her be the boss. He settled in great and we walk the two together. Best of friends now!

Best of luck OP!

Also on the topic of the breeds getting along I think IMO it's more to do with the temperment and sex? Well that's how it was in my experience. I knew Leela didn't get on well with female dogs. She is also very dominant and can't be very playful too. I wanted an older dog who could calm her down a bit but a bigger dog so that she couldn't be too aggressive with him. Also we wanted a GSD anyway but a bigger dog with a calmer personality was what we wanted and exactly what we got. He lets her roll around on top of him and she sticks her head in his mouth and everything! :rolleyes: He's just so good with her.

Really hope it all works out, the main point is just to introduce them on neutral ground and I'd say they'll be great together. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Neutral ground is the best way of introducing them and better again take them on a really long walk so they're all really tired when you bring them back to the house. I'd take up any food or toys that your JRTs favour, just until they're comfortable with each other. Something as simple as a new dog wanting to pick up an existing dogs toy can spark a bad row that can be hard to work back from so I'd err on the side of caution.

And other than that I'd suggest nearly ignoring them while they suss each other out unless you feel things are going really badly. They might growl at each other or posture but I'd let them at it unless you feel someone might be hurt. It's nearly always a good idea to ignore a rescue dog you introduce for the first number of days anyway, it sounds horrible but it's nearly one of the best things you can do. It takes the pressure completely off the new dog and allows them to get used to you and your family way of life quietly. Its one of those things, imagine someone you didn't staring at you and calling to you all the time, it's more than likely going to freak you out! So unless the GSD seeks you out I'd leave him alone.

Best of luck, white shepherds are amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

ok so i brought them on a long walk to introduce them. the youngest jack russell loves her and played with her all night but the older one keeps trying to bit her face.

the german shepherd is extremly nervous of them.

there sleeping seperate. so ill try them all together again tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

They will settle & all find their place in the pecking order. Just relax as if you are relaxed they will be. Don't take sides & whenever possible let them sort out any differences.

• Advertisement

Hope everythings going well with the dogs!

My little one loves the german shepherd too but still nips at his face every now and again. The way my one does it isn't hurting him, it's just warning him away from whatever it is she doesn't want him near. He's happy to just walk away and let her take over. My GSD was quite shy too but a month later he is playing with Leela the JRTx and chasing her around the garden! They both sleep together now and get on great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Make sure your new dog works for the privileges that your jrt has already earned, that way jealousy is kept to a minimum. I would disagree with people letting them sort out any disputes themselves, thats your job as their owner, u dole out the discipline, not your dogs. And dont be fooled into feeling sorry for the jrt by the size difference, your terrier was bred to be a killing machine, the gsd was not.

Advertisement