Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

580w combined light/heater/fan on lighting circuit?

• 14-12-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I had posted earlier on extractor fans for the bathroom, further to this:

Is it safe to put a bathroom light/bulb heater/fan unit on the existing wiring. Total draw is down as 580w and it would just replace a std ceiling light fitting with a 100w bulb.

House is reasonably modern (14 years). Am I putting too much load on the lighting circuit in total or specifically on this part of the wiring?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

580W is only 2 and a bit amps, so from a current point of view it would be fine on a 10A circuit. I'm not sure from a regs point of view, but others here can advise on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

Do you mean a bathroom light bulb, heater and fan? I'm not sure what "bulb heater" means.

The light fitting and fan can be on same circuit, but the heater should be fed from a seperate circuit, via a 2.5sq cable on an RCD. THe bathroom regs were mentioned here recently if you read back a few threads..

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

If the fan comes on with the light, then if the heaters on aswell wont the fan just pull the hot air out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

The fan/light would not be switched with the heater in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

the rules say small appliances up to '300w' on lighting circuits if memory serves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭jetlagged

could you not put the heater up, change the light switch outside to a 2 gang switch, take the live from there to the heater, and take the neutral from the ceiling rose in the bathroom or whatevers there.? or maybe leave the lightswitch and put a fused spur above it on the wall, that will feed the heater, albeit from the lighting circuit? is that more acceptable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Make sure you know where your "zones" are could be dangerous seeing as its a bathroom.

Advertisement