Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To what extent does Religion influence the decision making of women on abortion?

• 14-12-2010 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that I could get a conversation going about a thesis that Im doing. My thesis question is 'To what extent does Religion influence the decision making of women having abortions?'

What are people's opinions on this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Well I'm not a woman, but it would seem reasonable that those with deeply held religious beliefs that it is wrong to kill babies would usually refrain from doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Anti-abortion and Christianity seems to have the same relationship as Science and atheism. Anti-abortion does not immediately follow from Christianity, though a large percentage of Christians are anti-abortion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭JajaD

I want to find out if Religion actually forces (for lack of a better word) women to have abortions. ie: Women/teenagers from a religious background who get pregnant out of wedlock have pressure on them because of the shame brought onto their 'religious' family. So some (I presume) have an abortion to stop this shame etc. The same precentage of people to Non -Religious people get abortions as Religious people. So why are the people who are Religious getting abortions?

Im doing my thesis on it so I just want to see what people think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Morbert wrote: »
    Anti-abortion and Christianity seems to have the same relationship as Science and atheism. Anti-abortion does not immediately follow from Christianity, though a large percentage of Christians are anti-abortion.

What?

JajaD wrote: »
    I want to find out if Religion actually forces (for lack of a better word) women to have abortions. ie: Women/teenagers from a religious background who get pregnant out of wedlock have pressure on them because of the shame brought onto their 'religious' family. So some (I presume) have an abortion to stop this shame etc. The same precentage of people to Non -Religious people get abortions as Religious people. So why are the people who are Religious getting abortions?

I've bold-faced the very questionable assertion. Most statistics I've seen purporting to support this come from the US and, for example, count all Jews as 'religious' - even though 'Jewish' is an ethnic identification and the majority of American Jews are irreligious.

In fact 23.7% of abortions in the US are carried out on women with no religious affiliation, even though 13% of the population describe themselves as non-religious.

Some other figures from the US:
    Catholics, 24% of the population - 31% of abortions
    Evangelicals, 26% of the population - 18% of abortions
    Protestants in general (which includes evangelicals), 49% of the population - 37% of abortions

• Advertisement

Im doing my thesis on it so I just want to see what people think..

There is a lot in that.
    I want to find out if Religion actually forces (for lack of a better word) women to have abortions. ie: Women/teenagers from a religious background who get pregnant out of wedlock have pressure on them because of the shame brought onto their 'religious' family.

Firstly, it seems that in asking "if religion actually forces women to have abortions" you aren't phrasing the question accurately enough for it to be meaningful. All religions are not saying essentially the same thing. Even if we can focus on Christianity alone, it would be very difficult to give an accurate response to your question without somehow factoring in all the denominational differences and the church/ personal variations within Christianity.

My own understanding of the situation in Ireland is that there was (and still is) largely blanket condemnation of abortion by the RCC. This obviously suggests that abortion was in no way encouraged. However, if we are to make some speculative assumptions that the stigma of having a child out of wedlock drove women into seeking out back-street abortion clinics somewhere, I don't see how we could get any accurate figures to comment on it.

Given that Christianity has traditionally strongly opposed and even forbidden abortion, I don't think that your proposition is true.
    The same precentage of people to Non -Religious people get abortions as Religious people. So why are the people who are Religious getting abortions?

I'm not sure that this religious/ non-religious divide works. I know of "religious" atheists (they attend church if only for the music or peace they can enjoy) and I know non-religious theists. I would largely consider myself a non-religious Christian, for example. In this regard, I think you have to define not only what religion you are talking about, but also define what you mean by religious.

BTW, while I'm not disagreeing with your information about abortion rates, I wonder could you provide a link to the research you quote?

::Edit::

I see PDN got in there before regarding the research.

A further note on the statistics. There is a strong correlation between socio-economic status and abortion. To put it bluntly, in the USA poor people are much more likely to have abortions than wealthier people. Blacks and Latinos are more likely to have abortions than white people. People with poor education are more likely to have abortions than those who have been to College.

Here's a fairly comprehensive study by the Guttmacher Institute from about 10 years ago: http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/3422602.html
    It also states that the two groups with the highest incidence of abortions are non-Christian religions and those with no religious affiliation at all.

I'm not sure if this is helpful to the OP, since they do sound as if they've already made their mind up. (I really hope I'm wrong about that, maybe I'm overly cynical after marking too many theses.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

What?

I think he means it is sort of taken for granted that Christians are anti-abortion, but not all are (though a lot are)

Well i am delighted that there is some interest in this thread. I am handing in my thesis proposal tomorrow so all advice from here is happily received.

Maybe I am phrasing my argument/question wrong. Here is the actual title of my thesis 'To what extent does Religion influence the decision making of women in relation to abortion'

After looking at recent statistics of Irish abortion rates (women from Ireland who have traveled out of the country to have an abortion), it showed that around 7000 women have an abortion every year. Around 90% of Irish people class themselves as Catholic.

I want to find out if a woman is from a religious (maybe i should narrow it down to Catholic) background, would that factor actually be a factor deciding whether to have an abortion. Ie: A 20 year old woman who is Catholic has a baby, because she is from a catholic family, society, does that actually put social pressure on her because having a baby out of wedlock is against the catholic churches beliefs....

I hope I have explained it clearly enough.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think he means it is sort of taken for granted that Christians are anti-abortion, but not all are (though a lot are)

I get that. What I don't get is the use of a contentious science/ atheism analogy or why it is necessary to bring it up here.

• Advertisement

I get that. What I don't get is the use of a contentious science/ atheism analogy or why it is necessary to bring it up here.

Could you elaborate?

I am new to researching and abortion so I am not going to pretend I know about everything that relates to it :)

Could you elaborate?

I am new to researching and abortion so I am not going to pretend I know about everything that relates to it :)

I could elaborate but I'm not sure it would amount to more than what I've already said. In other words, me complaining that Morbert's point -- at least in terms of the juxtaposition he used -- had little relation to your thread.

I could elaborate but I'm not sure it would amount to more than what I've already said. In other words, me complaining that Morbert's point -- at least in terms of the juxtaposition he used -- had little relation to your thread.

This is my first thesis and I have my proposal done which i am handing in tomorrow. I am having second thoughts now. I thought my thesis question is good. I showed it to my lecturer and he actually re-phrased the question to what i put on this thread. Is there any suggestions that you think might be better than the one i have given? Also, my thesis is based on Ireland, i forgot to mention that.

My thesis can be on anything about Religion in society..

This is my first thesis and I have my proposal done which i am handing in tomorrow. I am having second thoughts now. I thought my thesis question is good. I showed it to my lecturer and he actually re-phrased the question to what i put on this thread. Is there any suggestions that you think might be better than the one i have given? Also, my thesis is based on Ireland, i forgot to mention that.

My thesis can be on anything about Religion in society..

Mercy! I certainly don't want to dissuade you from your choice in thesis. It could be very interesting!

Both you and your lecturer might think that what I'm highlighting is a load of crap (and that wouldn't be a first time I've been accused of spewing it) but it seems to me that there are a number of complexities involved (I touched on them above) that would need to be addressed.

Mercy! I certainly don't want to dissuade you from your choice in thesis. It could be very interesting!

Both you and your lecturer might think that what I'm highlighting is a load of crap (and that wouldn't be a first time I've been accused of spewing it) but it seems to me that there are a number of complexities involved (I touched on them above) that would need to be addressed.

Haha, I was about to throw the towel in but im going to stick with it. Im going to only focus on Catholicism and the research only based on Ireland. That way I feel i will be eliminating possible trouble that will arise. Well, hopefully! :)

Thanks for your help :)

Post back here if you think we can be of help.

It's not contentious though. Atheism does not immediately follow from science, though a large percentage of scientists are atheist. I was using the parallel to highlight that, if religion does have an influence on the abortion issue, it is often an indirect influence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

It is contentious. A large % of scientists still believe in God which explains the existence of groups such as Christians in Science, BioLogos Foundation and so on. Francis Collins in his "The Language of God" cites believers as being 40% of all scientists. That's still very high. Indeed on an anecdotal level I know a lot of believers who are currently studying in scientific fields at university. One even saying to me that his interest in biology fascinates him as to how impressive God's creation actually is. That's an exciting thing to hear considering that so much mythology is told around Christians not actually being able to study modern science while remaining consistent with their beliefs by both YEC's and new-atheists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

It's not contentious though. Atheism does not immediately follow from science, though a large percentage of scientists are atheist.

Here's some data describing the situation in a survey of the beliefs of 1000 American scientists. Iirc, this survey was published in Nature magazine.

http://ncse.com/rncse/18/2/do-scient...lly-reject-god

GALLUP EVOLUTION QUESTIONS

Question / Scientists / Public
    1. Special Creation, 10 000 years / 5% / 46%
    2. Evolution, God Guided / 40% / 40%
    3. Evolution, God had no part / 55%/ 9%

It could also be said that a large percentage of scientists are theists.

Deal with both responses in one post because I think you are both blowing this out of proportion and it is some what derailing the thread.

It is common to think of atheists as all materialists/humanists/rationalists. While a lot are, that is not always the case, nor does it automatically follow. You can have atheists who are none of those things and vice versa. We get a lot of this on the A&A forum, he was drawing a comparison to highlight assumptions about different groups.

I thought that was pretty clear, not quite sure why the big misunderstanding.
    Jakkass wrote: »
    It is contentious. A large % of scientists still believe in God which explains the existence of groups such as Christians in Science, BioLogos Foundation and so on.

Yes, that was his point. Atheism does not automatically imply scientist/rationalist, and scientist/rationalist does not automatically imply atheist.

Christian does not automatically imply anti-abortion, and anti-abortion does not automatically imply Christian (or theist)

There are Christians who are pro-choice and there are anti-abortion people who are atheists.

Like I said to Fanny I'm not quite sure why this is causing so much contentious. I think you are reading way to much into what was said.

• Advertisement

It's not contentious though.
    I disagree.
    a large percentage of scientists are atheist
    Yes. Atheists are overrepresented in the sciences. However, there is nothing particular to either science or atheism that compels the atheist to become a scientist. There might, for example, be socio-economic correlations between atheism and education and education and the sciences.

When we are talking about a particular doctrine of a particular religion, say, one dealing with the sanctity of life, an adherent is compelled (or they are at least informed as such) to follow it.

That many Christians are against the idea of abortion (certainly without some exceptional medical circumstances) I would suggest is largely because this conviction lies at the heart of Christianity.
    I was using the parallel to highlight that, if religion does have an influence on the abortion issue, it is often an indirect influence.

I would say that a "pro-life"/ anti-abortion stance or whatever you want to call it is quite explicit in most of the major denominations.

That many Christians are against the idea of abortion (certainly without some exceptional medical circumstances) I would suggest is largely because this conviction lies at the heart of Christianity.

Can I ask what the basis is?
    I vaguely remember passages where there are fines given if you cause a woman to miscarry, but it's not the "god doesn't like it" type of thing, IIRC.
    Or is it just a general "god made us so only god takes us away" kind of thing?
    However, there is nothing particular to either science or atheism that compels the atheist to become a scientist.
    I think that was exactly the point he was making.
    I'm also surprised it was made into such a huge issue. It's just "one does not necessarily follow from the other, similarly as two other fields where one does not necessarily follow from the other".

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think that was exactly the point he was making.

And I'm saying there isn't a comparison with Christianity because Christian doctrine (admitting that I'm not speaking for all denominations) specifically prohibits things like abortion.
    I'm also surprised it was made into such a huge issue.

I hardly think my 3 relatively short posts on this constitutes a disagreement being "made into a huge issue". That's just hyperbole. I happen to disagree with Morbert, and I've sought to make the bones of my disagreement clear. But if you guys still don't see why I raised the issue then I'm sure I'll get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Sefirah

PDN wrote: »
    count all Jews as 'religious' - even though 'Jewish' is an ethnic identification and the majority of American Jews are irreligious

Better to use the term *secular* in this instance
    Also, many Jews take offense to people calling them a 'race' or 'ethnicity' because 'race' is a genetic distinction which cannot be changed because it's your DNA. As you can imagine, this give rises to such Nazi ideals that Jews are to be classed as a different species or are some how biologically different. To be a Jew, you don't need a common ancestry, since Judaism allows for conversion.
    As for 'ethnicity', while Jews share certain cultural habits, these vary greatly across the numerous countries from which Jews originate. Also, not sharing in certain cultural expressions doesn't make anyone less Jewish, so that can be ruled out too.
    Most Jews prefer to be considered a nation, which anyone who is sincere can join, and who share a common history. However, owing to issues regarding Israel, this term has been distorted by some, and a number of people are now relating to the Jewish people as a kind of 'family'.

Apologies for wandering off topic, but I keep seeing this mistake being made, and I feel that it's an important one to clarify

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Festus

Sefirah wrote: »
    Apologies for wandering off topic, but I keep seeing this mistake being made, and I feel that it's an important one to clarify

it's very important. irreligious by definition has connotations of hostility to religion and is probably a more apt term for the sectarian or atheistic attitudes.

I think the poster meand areligious - as in indifferent but not hostile.

I disagree.

Yes. Atheists are overrepresented in the sciences. However, there is nothing particular to either science or atheism that compels the atheist to become a scientist. There might, for example, be socio-economic correlations between atheism and education and education and the sciences.

When we are talking about a particular doctrine of a particular religion, say, one dealing with the sanctity of life, an adherent is compelled (or they are at least informed as such) to follow it.

I would say that a "pro-life"/ anti-abortion stance or whatever you want to call it is quite explicit in most of the major denominations.

There is nothing that compels an atheist to become a scientist, I agree (Many atheists adopt patently anti-scientific beliefs like homoeopathy). But there is something that encourages many scientists to be atheists, even though science and (mainstream) Christianity are compatible.

Though I am curious. With the exception of Catholicism, I never saw anti-abortion as a necessary stance for a Christian. I have Christian friends who are pro-abortion, as they don't believe a human life begins at conception. Is there any Biblical argument that life begins at conception?

Is there any Biblical argument that life begins at conception?

Yes there is.

Is there any scientific argument that life does not begin at conception?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I was going to post earlier on this and thought I had, but apparently not.

Anyway, what would concern me would be using a 90% of Irish people 'classing themselves' as Catholic as any sort of sound basis to get the true impact of religion on personal decisions. You'd really have to talk to people in that position and discuss it with them rather than attempt to extrapolate based on number of abortions v number of people who class themselves as whatever...

Festus wrote: »
    Yes there is.

What are they?
    Is there any scientific argument that life does not begin at conception?

That is for another thread.

• Advertisement

What are they?

Biblical arguments that life begins at conception

See you there.

It's a good question, Festus. However, as somebody who is more guilty than most of taking this thread off topic, I think that Morbert is correct on this one. Feel free to start another thread.

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that I could get a conversation going about a thesis that Im doing. My thesis question is 'To what extent does Religion influence the decision making of women having abortions?'

Assumptions.
    No decision has to be made to not have an abortion.
    A decision is required to have an abortion.

There are a number of things that have to be overcome in making a decision to have an abortion.

1. Natural human abhorrence of killing has to be overcome.

2. Religious support for the natural human abhorrence of killing has to be overcome.

3. natural abhorrence of killing ones own children

4. Relious support for the natural abhorrence of killing ones own children.

Not necessarily in that order and not necesarily that simple either.

When it comes to the decision it usually begins with "I want..." or "I do not want.." and then extends to "I want but..." or "I do not want but..."

When it comes to a decision of this nature the issues relating to it without going any where near religion are so complicated and difficult that the religious aspect is not at the forefront of the mothers mind. The first thing to say to someone in this position is not " What would God think?" but "think about this".

If religion has any infuential impact it is more useful after the decision is made rather than before.

Yes there is.

For the second time, I would love to know- what are they?

For the second time,

Bluewolf = Morbert?
    I would love to know- what are they?

They are irrelevant in the context of this thread.

For the second time, I would love to know- what are they?

In the context of this thread it should be enough to work off the basis that Christianity, specifically Catholicism as that is what the OP is planning to study, does condemn abortion.

While I might yet regret suggesting this, we haven't had a general thread on the topic of abortion in a while. Perhaps that is the place to ask questions about the theology behind objections to abortion.

• Advertisement

I want to find out if Religion actually forces (for lack of a better word) women to have abortions.

Your question is fine so long as you are open the answer being "no" (ie you haven't already made up your mind that it does and are just looking for back up to this position)

bluewolf - One that would come to mind would be Jeremiah's call I think in chapter 2 of that book where God called Jeremiah from the womb. Another would be Psalm 139 which says that God knit the Psalmist together in the womb. Or Psalm 22 which says that righteousness will be preached to a people yet unborn.

There are other passages that could be used, but these are crucial. If I get more time I'll mull some more over. Isaiah 46 comes to mind but I may be wrong.

Biblical arguments that life begins at conception.

Your post makes no sense. It is quite clear that I was asking what the biblical arguments are. You did not infer this and I cannot understand why. Unless you are deliberately being childish again.

If they are not tendered then they cannot be appraised. I could easily claim the that wearing shoes on the third tuesday of every month beginning with J is forbidden by the Bible. But unless I explicitly tender Biblical evidence, then nobody has any reason to believe me.

bluewolf - One that would come to mind would be Jeremiah's call I think in chapter 2 of that book where God called Jeremiah from the womb. Another would be Psalm 139 which says that God knit the Psalmist together in the womb. Or Psalm 22 which says that righteousness will be preached to a people yet unborn.

There are other passages that could be used, but these are crucial. If I get more time I'll mull some more over. Isaiah 46 comes to mind but I may be wrong.

Hmm.. The menton of Jeremiah in the womb could be formed into an argument, though I am skeptical of the other examples. I will have a look myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Immaculata

PDN wrote: »
    Well I'm not a woman, but it would seem reasonable that those with deeply held religious beliefs that it is wrong to kill babies would usually refrain from doing so.

Well, I'm fervently pro-choice and I'm Christian. But while I support the right of other women to have an abortion if they feel the need, I'd never have an abortion myself. So it's not as simple a question as you'd think.

Also, I don't mean to say that all or most pro-life people are like this, of course, but there are people who are fervently anti-abortion, but actually would have abortions themselves, or would facilitate a friend or family member having an abortion, at least in certain circumstances. A friend of mine who works as a receptionist in a family planning clinic in the US sent me this link, if you want to read more about this.

Maybe ''To what extent does Religion influence the decision making of women having abortions?' is not so useful a question as it at first appears. Maybe, it would be more interesting to look at which religions routinely prohibit abortion, and then see which of those adherents, given a situation in which abortion is an option, choose to have or not have an abortion. Because the fact is, everyone except atheists (no disrespect to atheists) believes in some religious path, and the ethical teachings of that path may or may not be adhered to. For example, one of my friends is a particular religion, and by her lights and the lights of her faith, it's totally wrong to have a baby if she can't properly raise and support that child.

In short, I kinda get the impression off the question that an assumption is being made, that having an abortion always or usually represents a failure to keep to the ethics of one's religion, and I'd say that often the opposite is true.

Can I ask what the basis is?.
    Bluewolf = Morbert?
    See above
    I think this thread of all threads would be the perfect place :D
    In the context of this thread it should be enough to work off the basis that Christianity, specifically Catholicism as that is what the OP is planning to study, does condemn abortion.

While I might yet regret suggesting this, we haven't had a general thread on the topic of abortion in a while. Perhaps that is the place to ask questions about the theology behind objections to abortion.
    Ok but I just wanted to know why :confused:
    I thought someone would bring up jeremiah, but he's SO special he was called from the womb, right? As in, most people aren't?
    Anyway I was wondering if there was anything else which there isn't so that's that:)

I thought someone would bring up jeremiah, but he's SO special he was called from the womb, right? As in, most people aren't?
    Anyway I was wondering if there was anything else which there isn't so that's that:)

The point is that God knows people from before birth. God forms human life, it isn't ours to destroy frivolously. There are many more Scriptures that I've listed also.

If abortion didn't involve the death of another human being I'd be all for it in every case. I don't think most pro-choicers actually give proper consideration to why pro-lifers are clearly opposed to it.

The point is that God knows people from before birth. God forms human life, it isn't ours to destroy frivolously. There are many more Scriptures that I've listed also.

Yeah, that's what I asked fanny, is it also a straightforward "god made us so we shouldn't destroy". Seems to be yes in your point of view.
    I don't think most pro-choicers actually give proper consideration to why pro-lifers are clearly opposed to it.
    Well here I am trying to find out :eek:

Anyway I have my answer so I won't drag it any more apparently off topic

If they are not tendered then they cannot be appraised. I could easily claim the that wearing shoes on the third tuesday of every month beginning with J is forbidden by the Bible. But unless I explicitly tender Biblical evidence, then nobody has any reason to believe me.

My opposition to abortion is based on science not religion or the Bible, however I am glad that my religion agrees with me on this issue.

It's not off topic at all bluewolf, it's just that I feel that you're shrugging off the answer without even seeing the implications that that would have for Christians or even that it is crucially relevant. I'm always happy to point you to what passages I think would be useful.

Your post makes no sense. It is quite clear that I was asking what the biblical arguments are. You did not infer this and I cannot understand why. Unless you are deliberately being childish again.

It answered the question asked.

I think the attempt to take this thread off on a tangent is childish and I would have thought that you would have infered from my responses so far that there is no desire to do so.

That religion may influence a person is one thing. That the Bible may influence a person is another. Neither has any influence on a pro-life atheist.

What the Bible or theology or Catholicism or Christianity or science has to say is in my opinion not relevant to this thread as the scope is quite specific. As Fanny suggested a thread with a less wide scope than the current one in humanities may be a better option.

After looking at recent statistics of Irish abortion rates (women from Ireland who have traveled out of the country to have an abortion), it showed that around 7000 women have an abortion every year. Around 90% of Irish people class themselves as Catholic.

How condfident are you of those figures? As I understand it the figures come from the abortion clinics and are based on the address provided.
    As far as I am aware the clinics do not record PPS SSN or any other form of "hard" identity and are more concerned that the mother is of an age and that the service they are providing has been legally ticked of by the requisite number of doctors in the UK.

In short the validation and verification of those numbers is difficult.

Consider how easy it would be for a UK resident to give an Irish address for the sake of anonymity.
    Consider those from other countries in Europe who travel to the UK to avail of their more lax laws. Do they always give a true home address or do they also want to preserve some level of anonymity?

I have no evidence either way but unless a check is put on all Irish persons returning from the UK and questioning them as to what their business abroad was there is no way anyone can be certain that the statistics are valid.

Another question that is not answered by these statistics is the religion of the person providing an Irish address.

If it were me I would not provide a correct address or my religion unless I was legally compelled to do so.

Please also bear in mind the vested interests of those providing the statistics.

Festus - This poster has been posting on numerous threads such as this one about this. It strongly looks as if they have their own mind made up on this.

Festus - This poster has been posting on numerous threads such as this one about this. It strongly looks as if they have their own mind made up on this.

Splendid Jakkass.

I don't know if that speaks for the poster, the state of research in Ireland, or the veracity of any statistic presented in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement