Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

scope for 22 benchrest with cz452

Options
  • 14-12-2010 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭

Hi trying to find a scope for bechrest shooting at 50yards,was looking at a zos 10-40x44 e-sf i was having alot of trouble seeing the small targets with a 3x9x40,anybody got any brand sugesstions?must be priced around 250e

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Have since sold the rifle and the scope, but had a ZOS 10-40 by 50 and took my share of medals with it, on a CZ452 Style with some work done to the trigger.

Good Scope for the money, would be suggesting if shooting mainly BR, then 32x as your minimum something like a Weaver T36 if you can stretch, but otherwise, the ZOS should be fine.

regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

no problems with zeroing?im getting a silouette cz452 so if it works like you say it will be good.I read some reviews on the net saying that the zeroing was really hard and was changing from one shot to the next very hard to choose a scope half the reviews are usually bad on a website the other half good.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Never heard of that with anyone I know, but it does happen, if you get a bad scope, its a bad scope, and wont hold Zero, normally, the more you spend the less likely this is to happen.

personally, the worst scopes I have used have been Tasco..

regards

DB

what about swift scopes could get a 6-24x50 for 100 extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Have a .22 CZ452 Silhouette with a Tasco scope - not a bother on it.

a) No problems with zeroing.
    b) No problems putting the bullet exactly where it's supposed to go.

Haven't really shot her competitively in BR, but I can kinda sorta tell at this stage whether a rifle is accurate or not (I think:o).

So nought wrong with a CZ452 and nought wrong with a Tasco.

Of course there are better rifles and gear - but in that price bracket, you can't do much worse.

(FTR the barrel hasn't been free-floated nor the trigger tweaked - she's as out of the box as you can get)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    Have a .22 CZ452 Silhouette with a Tasco scope - not a bother on it.

a) No problems with zeroing.
    b) No problems putting the bullet exactly where it's supposed to go.

Haven't really shot her competitively in BR, but I can tell at this stage whether a rifle is accurate or not (I think:o).

So nought wrong with a CZ452 and nought wrong with a Tasco.

Of course there are better rifles and gear - but in that price bracket, you can't do much worse.

(FTR the barrel hasn't been free-floated nor the trigger tweaked - she's as out of the box as you can get)

You must have been very lucky with Tasco, any I look through were shi*e

And in my earlier days I owned one, and had the use of several.

would not hold zero on my 6.5x55 and on 24mag was like looking out into fog when used on 10/22

Well, my Tasco is grand.
    Of course, I'd prefer something better, but hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Use it primarily up at the x24 - and sure, my NXS is a wee bit better - but for shooting 50 - 100yds the Tasco does the job nicely. It's not the clearest glass I've looked through, but for under €200 what glass is? And anyway, how good does the glass need to be to see a 0.5in target 100yd's away?

Maybe I got lucky with my first-ever rifle purchase!

most of the reviews i read were american guys using 300wm rifles but im only using it on a 22 so i dont think recoils going break it!

most of the reviews i read were american guys using 300wm rifles but im only using it on a 22 so i dont think recoils going break it!

Cheapskate yanks!:rolleyes::D

Sticking a €100-200 rimfire / air-rifle / airsoft scope onto a 300 Win Mag - WTF did they expect to happen?!:D

Similar to the one guy who posted on another american forum: "Zeiss Yes, Zos No".
    Kinda stating the obvious there, good buddy!

"Ferrari Yes, Yugo No"

:rolleyes::rolleyes::D

hope it works for me!what do you think of swift scopes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

A Weaver T-36, fixed power scope. Around the €300 - €350 mark new.

Its fixed power so not great from a hunting point of view but with the fine plex and target dot, you will not get better for the money for target shooting. I have one on my benchrest rifle.

picture.php?albumid=811&pictureid=4092
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

wow nice rifle!what type is it?id like something variable sort of compromise!

She is sadly no longer with us and has departed to the great benchrest home for the bewildered in the sky.:(:(:(

(A crying shame I might add)

ok now you will have tell me what happened to it!was it custom built?

i'll leave it ezridax to explain the sad and undignified end to that rifle!:(
    That is, if he can bring himself to re-live the horror.

It's still alive out there somewhere (but not as you see it there). The barrel and action live on!

did he drop it or drive over it or leave it on the roof of the car?

Jesus, no - That lad would NEVER ill-treat a rifle! Seriously!

was just messing!hope he will tell what happened,what sort of barrel and action was it?

It was a dark and stormy night when a stranger came calling ...............................

Okay it was actually a Monday morning and a nice sunny day, but the previous description seems more fitting. I had to sell it to finance two new builds. It went to a good home with a good friend, but he didn't like the stock (for fit) so sanded it down and changed its overall shape. Also had a new custom stock made for it from Enda Walsh, and i must say the new stock is beautiful, but not as cool as it doesn't have a "Sabre tooth Tiger". :D

She is an Anschutz (originally) match 54 action with a VERY limited edition X-Designated barrel .They don't make them anymore. It has a higher carbon and other elemant mixture making it longer lasting, heavier, stronger and able to give outstanding accuracy throughout its life. The stock was a Patsy Tyrrel/John Green creation and of course topped off with a T-36 scope.

She will easily score 250 all day long at 25 and 50 mtrs. Its really only a matter of how many X's you can get. It was a painful and very reluctant sale, but i did not advertise it as i wanted it to go someone that would use it and wanted it for a while.

I can't talk anymore ...................... too upsetting.

[Embedded Image Removed]
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

may she rest in peace!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    Well, my Tasco is grand.
    Of course, I'd prefer something better, but hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it?

Use it primarily up at the x24 - and sure, my NXS is a wee bit better - but for shooting 50 - 100yds the Tasco does the job nicely. It's not the clearest glass I've looked through, but for under €200 what glass is? And anyway, how good does the glass need to be to see a 0.5in target 100yd's away?

Maybe I got lucky with my first-ever rifle purchase!

If I had small budget I'd go with a simmons, never touch a Tasco again

First Tasco I ever owned was in 1991, it was supposed to be a stargazing Telescope, but it would only work during the day!
    My 32 NXS clearly can see craters and imperfections in teh moons surface

thats always usefull in a rifle scope tack!would you get anything in a bushnell,redfield or burris for 250ish with high enough magnificationsaup x20?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

bazza888 wrote: »
    Hi trying to find a scope for bechrest shooting at 50yards,was looking at a zos 10-40x44 e-sf i was having alot of trouble seeing the small targets with a 3x9x40,anybody got any brand sugesstions?must be priced around 250e

My CZ style, custom stock, with a 10x40 Bushnell 3200 elite on top. I find it good for bunny shooting out to 130yards and benchrest @50m.
    CZStylewithnewstock2.jpg
    CZStylewithnewstock3.jpg

With original synthetic stock, Bushnell 4-12x40 scope and and surefire torch.
    Surefiretourchoncz22lr.jpg

I then changed the CZ style for this CZ varmint.
    CZvarmint1.jpg
    CZvarmint4.jpg

thats a nice looking rifle clive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

For about €200 you'd get an Edgar Brothers 20x optimate:

http://www.shootingsports.edgarbrothers.com/pages/OPTI-421-30mm-20x42.aspx

have tried this on my .22 and my .223 and find it excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

ezridax wrote: »
    It was a dark and stormy night when a stranger came calling ...............................

Okay it was actually a Monday morning and a nice sunny day, but the previous description seems more fitting. I had to sell it to finance two new builds. It went to a good home with a good friend, but he didn't like the stock (for fit) so sanded it down and changed its overall shape. Also had a new custom stock made for it from Enda Walsh, and i must say the new stock is beautiful, but not as cool as it doesn't have a "Sabre tooth Tiger". :D

She is an Anschutz (originally) match 54 action with a VERY limited edition X-Designated barrel .They don't make them anymore. It has a higher carbon and other elemant mixture making it longer lasting, heavier, stronger and able to give outstanding accuracy throughout its life. The stock was a Patsy Tyrrel/John Green creation and of course topped off with a T-36 scope.

She will easily score 250 all day long at 25 and 50 mtrs. Its really only a matter of how many X's you can get. It was a painful and very reluctant sale, but i did not advertise it as i wanted it to go someone that would use it and wanted it for a while.

I can't talk anymore ...................... too upsetting.

[Embedded Image Removed]

The X on the end of the serial number designates it a 16xx series, probably a 1613. They weren't a special edition any more than an 1813 or a 1913 is a special edition, but they tend to be well liked and, while I personally don't think they're typically any better than an accurate gun of any other model, they did come from what's regarded as a good period in Anschutz's manufacturing history. We've got (I think) four of them in Trinity, of which two are our most competitively used guns alongside the Walther KK200 Conor used to use.

The X on the end of the serial number designates it a 16xx series, probably a 1613. They weren't a special edition any more than an 1813 or a 1913 is a special edition,..............

Well if you know better than the manufacutrer you'd better give Anschutz a shout as the information i have, and the new owner got on his own checking, has come from Anschutz themselves.

Well if you know better than the manufacutrer you'd better give Anschutz a shout as the information i have, and the new owner got on his own checking, has come from Anschutz themselves.

It's just another model designation. Special editions tend not to be comprised of thousands and thousands of rifles in sequence, at a point when it's the only model being made, chronologically between the 14xx series and the 18xx series. It sounds like a dodgy mistranslation, but it certainly doesn't imply selected barrel status or any special quality the rifle possessed above and beyond the characteristics of manufacture in that time period. It's marked match 54, same as the 14xx before it, but with an X to differentiate it. The 18xx onwards have the model numbers themselves stamped on the barrel.

No matter what i say you will google something to correct me. So i will not be drawn into a pi**ing match on the subject.

• Advertisement

No matter what i say you will google something to correct me. So i will not be drawn into a pi**ing match on the subject.

I'm not looking to fight with you. The 1613 wasn't a special edition, though it was relatively short-lived (about 77-82ish) and did have some experimental features which were later dropped in the 18xx. I don't appreciate the insinuation that I'm ill-informed by the way.

Advertisement