Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tongue piercing - my body no like

Options
  • 14-12-2010 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

So it appears my body really is not fond of this piercing business. first skin started to grow over the inside of my nose stud inside my nostril, then the skin on the bottom of my tongue completely grew over the bottom of my tongue bar so I had to get it removed with local anaesthetic and a scalpel, great craic!

Has anyone else had issues like this? Or am I a mutant!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Mutant tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Raze - behave.

Sounds like in both cases that the jewellery was too short to accommodate the piercing I would suggest in future maybe changing your piercer and heading some place different.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BananaWhoops

Yeah I got them both done in the same place actually. Thanks :D

(not you Raze :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

The only instances of skin growing over a piercing I have ever come across were either the piercings were done incorrectly or jewellery was too short. It is very unusual as the body usually tries to reject foreign objects rather than encapsulate them. I would try another reputable piercer and have a chat with them before hand. Explain your history and let them have a look at the sites of previous piercing to see if there is anything noticable about the sites. And above all please don't let the mistakes of a minority put you off piercings, most piercers do get it right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 DonnyTheDon

The only instances of skin growing over a piercing I have ever come across were either the piercings were done incorrectly or jewellery was too short. It is very unusual as the body usually tries to reject foreign objects rather than encapsulate them. I would try another reputable piercer and have a chat with them before hand. Explain your history and let them have a look at the sites of previous piercing to see if there is anything noticable about the sites. And above all please don't let the mistakes of a minority put you off piercings, most piercers do get it right.
    No no no. Most get it wrong. Trust me. Far more bad than good. Same goes for tattooing. Be more selective ask more questions. You can't be picky enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No no no. Most get it wrong. Trust me. Far more bad than good. Same goes for tattooing. Be more selective ask more questions. You can't be picky enough.
    Thats right, you tell the actual body piercer the story. Good man.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

Now I'm not a real doctor so can't formally diagnose mutations ;) but I've heard of skin growing over piercings before. Years ago my sister had her ears (lobes) pierced with a gun by a local jeweller. She got those skinny little sleeper rings in & the skin started growing over them within a few days. Can't remember all the detail, but I think she just took them out & put studs in & this solved it. She doesn't seem to have any issues with her ears now, but this is about 20 years on & she's wearing good quality jewellery now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 SR123

None of my piercings have gone like that. Have most of them for years, but got left nipple done yesterday. Here's hoping my luck stays!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

the skin grew over my navel piercing. it was fúckin disgustin!! Its rare but i happens!! I was put on these calf-killer sized antibiotics for a week and if they didn't work i was told it would have to be surgically removed... :/ :eek:
    Thankfully they worked but it almost put me off piercings!! There was no real reason for it, the bar was long enough as i could see the skin growing around both sides of the bar and the positioning was perfect as I had it looked at by another reputable piercer when it was healed and he said position was grand?!!? He couldn't understand why it would happen, said sometimes there's just no reason and the body just doesn't like em!! :/

However 4 years later I plucked up the courage to get another piercing, told em about my previous piercings and infection history and they used bioplastic. 1 month later...it's still perfect!! :):) only sorry I let a few bad piercings (2 holes in each lobe infected as well, had to remove 2) put me off for so long!

Advertisement