Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you like new version of Superquinn?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

Carroll Village Supermarket opend instead of Superquinn.Quite intresting mix of cheap and not very affordable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

Basilio wrote: »
    Carroll Village Supermarket opend instead of Superquinn.Quite intresting mix of cheap and not very affordable.

Its still superquinn...just not called Superquinn

all superquinn products, bakery and bags...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

It's awful imo,bringing the kids to play football in it next time:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

It's awful imo,bringing the kids to play football in it next time:)

is it really empty? shelves not stocked properly, etc?
    neacy69 wrote: »
    Its still superquinn...just not called Superquinn

all superquinn products, bakery and bags...

I can't understand why they did this? Is it just to try and stick the boot in to the Carroll Village management by not providing a "flagship" grocery store brand?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Twatter

Was in it today I thought it was grand. Yes it looked a bit empty but it was fully stocked and had the superquinn range of foods. Friendly staff ready to pack my bags - more than can be said of both Tesco supermarkets in the town and Dunnes Marshes. Went to chemist afterwards the girls said there's an increase in their business since the supermarket opened last weekend. Had some good offers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Onesimus

Twatter wrote: »
    Was in it today I thought it was grand. Yes it looked a bit empty but it was fully stocked and had the superquinn range of foods. Friendly staff ready to pack my bags - more than can be said of both Tesco supermarkets in the town and Dunnes Marshes. Went to chemist afterwards the girls said there's an increase in their business since the supermarket opened last weekend. Had some good offers too.

Finally.......some positive reviews and encouragement in this town for local business. And they are all moaning and whinging about not having jobs??? :rolleyes: No wonder, all they do is cut the crap out of businesses that are just open with silly criticism that really isn't worth the straw its built on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Has it got the broad selection of beers that it used to have?

Has it got the broad selection of beers that it used to have?
    No,just the usual suspects.

Was in it about 5bells and there wouldnt have been a dozen shopping!!(Tesco across the road was packed)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Yeah, called in this afternoon myself, disappointing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 opticalens

Haven't been in the new store yet, do they still have the great bakery / fish / cheese / deli counters they used to have? To be honest they were the only reason I shopped there last time.

opticalens wrote: »
    Haven't been in the new store yet, do they still have the great bakery / fish / cheese / deli counters they used to have? To be honest they were the only reason I shopped there last time.
    Couldnt see any fresh bread,but i was there late(There was fresh pastries though)
    Cheese selection not(even) the same.
    No fresh fish or deli.
    Its Superquinn but not as we knew it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Finally.......some positive reviews and encouragement in this town for local business. And they are all moaning and whinging about not having jobs??? rolleyes.gif No wonder, all they do is cut the crap out of businesses that are just open with silly criticism that really isn't worth the straw its built on.

What can be positively said about a company that thinks it's beyond it's legal obligation to stick with a contract and just leaving when it feels the need to, dismissing employees and not giving one care about local businesses, surely you can't be naive enough to think they deserve some positive encouragement, they are not calling themselves superquinn because they don't plan on staying there and that's pretty evident and only there now at the moment because they were ordered to be so.

IF it was the case of them being a local employer/company, i would see the need to argue the local business issue but it's not and they obviously don't care enough to make it known that they do care about dundalk.

My 5 cents worth!

BordorFox wrote: »
    What can be positively said about a company that thinks it's beyond it's legal obligation to stick with a contract and just leaving when it feels the need to, dismissing employees and not giving one care about local businesses, surely you can't be naive enough to think they deserve some positive encouragement, they are not calling themselves superquinn because they don't plan on staying there and that's pretty evident and only there now at the moment because they were ordered to be so.

IF it was the case of them being a local employer/company, i would see the need to argue the local business issue but it's not and they obviously don't care enough to make it known that they do care about dundalk.

My 5 cents worth!

Inventing rumours with no evidence to back them up is not a good argument. Never make a bold claim unless you can prove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Onesimus wrote: »
    Inventing rumours with no evidence to back them up is not a good argument. Never make a bold claim unless you can prove it.

I happen to work beside it, have for years, and also work in the retail business, i'm in every position to know.

You speak about local businesses when you don't understand what these "big supermarkets" do to local businesses, perhaps you need to understand what you're arguing before you make any false assumptions of people in dundalk and their jobs.

Feargal quinn opened the only second superquinn store in ireland in Dundalk in 1960, that day and age is gone, the quinns sold out in 2005, you're not dealing with family business anymore.

As for Fact..

A High Court order has paved the way for the re-opening of Superquinn as the anchor tenant in the Carroll Village Shopping Centre.

Try checking it up sometime.

BordorFox wrote: »
    I happen to work beside it, have for years, and also work in the retail business, i'm in every position to know.

You speak about local businesses when you don't understand what these "big supermarkets" do to local businesses, perhaps you need to understand what you're arguing before you make any false assumptions of people in dundalk and their jobs.

Feargal quinn opened the only second superquinn store in ireland in Dundalk in 1960, that day and age is gone, the quinns sold out in 2005, you're not dealing with family business anymore.

As for Fact..

A High Court order has paved the way for the re-opening of Superquinn as the anchor tenant in the Carroll Village Shopping Centre.

Try checking it up sometime.

Borderfox, stating that your in every position to know because you are in the retail business whilst also expecting us to take you upon faith with that one, without sound evidence, is not good enough.

Granted you know the history of superquinn and its owners but that does not mean you know the history or purpose of the present company set up at the moment.

Where should I find this high court order you speak of? surely if you would like to present evidence of your ( for now ) assumptions upon the current position of the new supermarket, you would be willing to present that evidence rather than tell me to...check it up sometime?

By the way, seeing as you work beside it, how has business been for you since they opened? according to a previous poster, the girls in the pharmacy welcomed the new supermarket as it has increased their business.

Bigger supermarkets you say are killing business for the small traders. Well, I heard a person who owns a local small supermarket such as mace or londis say that they make a lot of money and that: ''a lot of people are opening them up because the money to be made is in its abundance.''

Not just that but, the bigger the supermarket the greater the workforce needed, meaning more dundalk people are offered a bigger chance of getting a sound and secure job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭blingrhino

hi guys , borderfox is quite correct superquinn were made open by the high court in a ruling oct 10 to open by dec 6 and were fined accordingly with costs to be decided in feb 2011.
    however the management aka parolen propertys (gerry maguire) is not happy with the "new look " superquinn and are going back to the high court to force them to reopen in their former set up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Where should I find this high court order you speak of? .

Where the heck have you been. It was in all local papers and on RTE news one night as well. SO, maybe take what people say in a more polite manner in future!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

blingrhino wrote: »
    hi guys , borderfox is quite correct superquinn were made open by the high court in a ruling oct 10 to open by dec 6 and were fined accordingly with costs to be decided in feb 2011.
    however the management aka parolen propertys (gerry maguire) is not happy with the "new look " superquinn and are going back to the high court to force them to reopen in their former set up.

They were apparently forced to re-open on the same scale as before. They have done this so cant really see them losing on that issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jon1010

Borderfox, stating that your in every position to know because you are in the retail business whilst also expecting us to take you upon faith with that one, without sound evidence, is not good enough.

Granted you know the history of superquinn and its owners but that does not mean you know the history or purpose of the present company set up at the moment.

Where should I find this high court order you speak of? surely if you would like to present evidence of your ( for now ) assumptions upon the current position of the new supermarket, you would be willing to present that evidence rather than tell me to...check it up sometime?

By the way, seeing as you work beside it, how has business been for you since they opened? according to a previous poster, the girls in the pharmacy welcomed the new supermarket as it has increased their business.

Bigger supermarkets you say are killing business for the small traders. Well, I heard a person who owns a local small supermarket such as mace or londis say that they make a lot of money and that: ''a lot of people are opening them up because the money to be made is in its abundance.''

Not just that but, the bigger the supermarket the greater the workforce needed, meaning more dundalk people are offered a bigger chance of getting a sound and secure job.

http://www.sbpost.ie/businessoflaw/superquinn-must-pay-560k-after-shutting-dundalk-store-56677.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Is this still open in CV? Any improvement? Havent been in myself but heard most of the shelves were bare etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Its still open, o.k stockwise just very few customers going into it, though carpark fairly full all day, handy for free parking

• Advertisement

So superquinn has been bought by Musgraves. All stores except Dundalk.

It says the Dundalk Store will be sold independently - they have been trying to sell it, unsuccessfully for the past 5 years. I don't think the Carroll Village staff have a very certain future at the moment in light of this.

I think Parolen would want to be shocking brave to take on KPMG (the new lease holders) in a court battle, especially considering the fact that they are the owners of an empty mall.

(I wonder why they don't reduce rents - or offer some rent free incentives for businesses to move in? Anyway thats a matter for a different thread!)
    MORE THAN 2,800 employees were breathing a massive sigh of relief today over the rescue of supermarket chain Superquinn.

Workers endured an emotional rollercoaster after it was announced that the company had gone into receivership.

But by 7am today, there was cautious relief as Musgrave – owners of Centra and SuperValue – stepped in.

It announced it intended to buy the 51-year-old Irish firm and it would continue to trade under the name Superquinn. And today employees spoke optimistically about the future of the company.

Joe Keogh, a 30-year veteran with Superquinn, said: "I feel relieved now. We know something is positive this morning"

"I started work at 3am and I've only heard about things from other members of staff. We're all hoping now."

Meanwhile, Catherine Murphy, who has worked at the Knocklyon store since she was 18, some 21 years ago, was buoyed with optimism.

"It's fantastic, we're delighted. This is great news that it looks like the end of the day, our jobs have been saved and that's the main thing in this time of recession."

It has emerged that Superquinn, controlled by the privately owned Select Retail Holdings, owes lenders more than €400m in mainly property related secured loans.

The consortium of developers and businessmen first bought the business from Feargal Quinn in 2005 for €450m, just before the downturn hit.

Pressure

It appears that the company were unable to make repayments on the property speculation they were involved in.

Its understood banks, including AIB, Bank of Ireland and National Irish Bank (NIB), put the company under additional pressure to make repayments and they will now seek to recoup their money through a sale of the business.

Irish family-owned company Musgrave, which is behind the Supervalu chain, has now pledged to invest in the stores, pending regulatory approval and completion of the transaction.

The Dundalk outlet -- known as Carroll Village Supermarket -- will be sold independently.

Chris Martin, CEO of Musgrave, said they came to the agreement with the joint receivers, Kieran Wallace and Eamonn Richardson, of KPMG, last night.

"The transaction will secure the long term viability of the Superquinn business, protect jobs and ensure that Irish consumers can continue to enjoy the Superquinn product offer," the group said in a statement."

This purchase secures the jobs of 2,800 people and on completion of the sale process, Musgrave intends to invest in the stores and work with the Superquinn employees to develop the future of the business."

Assurances

Gerry Light, assistant general secretary of the union Mandate, said he would be looking for assurances that staff numbers would not be reduced.

"There is an established relationship with Musgrave -- a good working relationship with the trade," he said.

"We will be demanding a meeting with them urgently."

And president of Irish Farmers' Association, John Bryan, said the move will increase the power of the three major players -- Musgraves, Tesco and Dunnes -- over the smaller producers. "We'll be sorry to see the brand lost," he said. "Superquinn were seen as good supporters of Irish produce and supportive of Irish agriculture."
    http://www.herald.ie/national-news/superquinn-workers-joy-after-2800-jobs-are-rescued-with-takeover-2825124.html

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

its horrible like a fake supermarket or a play supermarket

The staff got news today that the shop is to close on this Saturday 27th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

Aw no.
    Its always very quiet there though.:(

The staff got news today that the shop is to close on this Saturday 27th August.

Inevitable, but sad none-the-less especially for the staff.

Anyone hear how Parolen Ltd. (Carroll Village Management) have taken to this news? :rolleyes:

Does anyone know why the Hotel never went ahead? Or the Banking Hall? Or the 'Family entertainment centre'

They were all supposed to be part of the original plans for Carroll Village way back in 98/99...?

Advertisement