Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Missed tourism opportunity

• 14-12-2010 7:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭

I remember a few months back we were discussing tourism ideas for Limerick to try and get a few people in. A few of us suggested we try and take advantage of our Viking heritage and all that. I would like to congratulate Limerick City Council again for missing an opportunity and I would also like to congratulate Waterford City Council on pinching the gem of an idea

http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2010/1213/media-2871135.html#

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭sioda

Ah Waterford need something since Celt World closed.

Knowing our shower theyd build it and twould sink

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I got slated on another thread about the Market quarter about the Heineken green zone
    It was nothing...Wow tons of Heinken Flags and bunting and some green spotlights thats a very poor effort for a city that markets rugby so much

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

bigpink wrote: »
    I got slated on another thread about the Market quarter about the Heineken green zone
    It was nothing...Wow tons of Heinken Flags and bunting and some green spotlights thats a very poor effort for a city that markets rugby so much

The HEINEKEN Green Zone wasn't marketed by the city...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Yes im aware Heineken plugged it but it was a Market quarter event so it should have been pushed better imo

Market quarter missed out big time on halloween(Derry do a huge street party)
    Also nothing for the internationl rules

Markey quarter could do a Christmas event with the Milk market

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Yes im aware Heineken plugged it but it was a Market quarter event so it should have been pushed better imo

The market quarter group was only formed this year, give it time. Are you always such a bring-down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

The market quarter group was only formed this year, give it time. Are you always such a bring-down?

Putting ideas out there to raise the profile of the city is hardly what a bring-down does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Putting ideas out there to raise the profile of the city is hardly what a bring-down does.

But putting down anything that actually happens is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

1. "Market quarter should have better pushed it" They had ads in all the local papers and on their facebook pages - what do you want them to do - go our and force people in??

2. "Nothing for international rules". City put on a fireworks display - not as if the place is flush with cash.

3. Market quarter - http://www.limerickcoordination.ie/2010/10/28/milk-market-christmas-market

Yes it would be great to have loads of cash and go advertise all over the country and have massive parades and such for every event but the country is broke.

There are people working hard in the co-ordination office trying to put on events in Limerick with limited or no resourses or money - Don't put EVERYTHING down.

Finally, I had two friends up from Waterford this weekend and they had a great night in Limerick and were very impressed with the market quarter.

Also, if you go to the Ospreys supporters forum (You need to create an account to view) there is a thread on Limerick where they are paying huge compliments to Limerick and the atmosphere and activities organised in Limerick. Limerick is "Streets ahead of us".

You are the most negative person on Boards

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

CiaranMT wrote: »

Correct. Putting ideas out there to raise the profile of the city is not what BigPink does though.

A 20 second browse of BigPink's last 50 posts shows not one example of her making a new, constructive positive suggestion for the benefit of the city. Plenty of negativity, critiscism and knocking of ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

only the first reply to this thread is on topic keep yer heineken arguments to that thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

kilburn wrote: »
    I remember a few months back we were discussing tourism ideas for Limerick to try and get a few people in. A few of us suggested we try and take advantage of our Viking heritage and all that. I would like to congratulate Limerick City Council again for missing an opportunity and I would also like to congratulate Waterford City Council on pinching the gem of an idea

It is a good idea by the Waterford city council, and I never can grasp why the Limerick City and county councils don't use the viking heritage in Limerick to greater effect for tourism.

I have been to the Viking Boat Museums in Norway and Denmark and was blown away by them.

Limerick could easily have something with one replica Viking ship and various displays and/or replicas of viking clothing, tools, weapons in a centre, preferably near the river.

Even do something like the Viking boat tours on the river Shannon similar to what they do in Athlone town. Granted tides would have to be taken into account for the Limerick version, but it would be a fun new attraction for the city and could be tied in with a Viking museum. It could go past spots where the vikings attacked in numbers like in Mungret where they destroyed a monastery, and the same area was also the scene of a battle that forced the vikings to withdraw for a time when the Irish fought back.

If the water tours were done on the Shannon above the tidal mark, then it could follow the route that the Limerick Vikings took as they used the Shannon to get inland to attack villages and monasteries along the banks of the Shannon and into Lough Derg and beyond.

Tales of the Norse kings of Limerick could be told during the tours and also in a viking museum, and there would of course be plenty of scope to tiein the tale with Brian Boru as Boru's brother went to war with the Norse king of Limerick.

There is a hell of a lot of great tales from Limerick's past that would entertain and delight tourists and locals alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭1971

Well
    This is my 2-cent worth, Limerick is a great City, Limerick is a great city, the people that inhabit this piece of land are the best in the world. The city has so much to offer to the tourist that one would be hard pressed to visit it all in 1 weekend.
    Now it does get bad press from certain quarters, but these minor hiccups are just what I call them minor hiccups. There are always going to be bad apples in the barrel, but with the help of the great people of this the treaty city, they can project the true limerick rather than the one been portrayed by the certain press.

St john Castile on the island any other city would promote this great historical icon if they processed such a marvel. The history of Patrick Sarfield and the treaty stone, just shows that the good people of limerick will prevail. The Hunt museum what a great place to visit, just up the road is the famous Thomond park rugby stadium .Now with this kind if tradition, well we could talk forever about this!
    Drive down the road from this and you come to the Gaelic grounds, now maybe not doing as good as they should be, but Justin is not as good as he think he is (good trainer, nit so good manager.
    The Limerick university and the so rounding grounds, a walk along the river band on a summer night just indescribably to any some one who has not done it!
    Limerick is a place that is been portrayed in a bad light, but is up to the citizens to shine the good light back on the city again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,700 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

kilburn wrote: »

Did anybody contact the council and make the suggestion to them?

Advertisement