Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Illness benefit Query

• 14-12-2010 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,
    I have a query about illness benefit and if I can make a claim.
    I lost my job last April. I have been working in one job for six years and in my last job for 4 months.
    I looked around for a job but could not find anything so I became self employed and started doing garden work for people.
    I hurt my back a month ago splitting timber at home for myself.
    I am not able to work now for the last few weeks and have no income and I wouldn't be able to work if I got a job.

Can I claim illness benefit the fact I was self employed for the last 6 / 7 months

Thanks
    George

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Yes, if you have paid contributions from 2008/09.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 George1

I have contributions from September 2008 to April 2010.

On the illness application form I have received from my Doctor. On Page 5 the question is have you been self employed (including farming) Give dates:

Do I give the dates since my last employment : April 2010 to the date I hurt myself (3 weeks ago) or what ? Are you sure I qualify considering I was in enforced self employment?

Thanks
    George

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

"You must have:

at least 104 weeks PRSI contributions paid since you first started work,
    and
    39 weeks PRSI contributions paid or credited in the relevant tax year (13 of these must be paid contributions),
    or
    26 weeks PRSI contributions paid in the relevant tax year and 26 weeks PRSI contributions paid in the tax year immediately before the relevant tax year.
    The relevant tax year is the second last complete tax year before the year in which you claim Illness Benefit.

If you are applying in: The relevant tax year is:
    2008 -> 2006
    2009 -> 2007
    2010 -> 2008

If you do not have 13 paid contributions in the relevant tax year, you may use the following years instead:

the two tax years before the relevant tax year,
    the last complete tax year,
    or
    the current tax year.
    Note

Only PRSI paid in classes A, E, H and P count towards Illness Benefit."

Advertisement