Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time off for Religious Purposes

Options
  • 14-12-2010 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

OK so work are being really difficult for no reason!

I have requested a day off as its my Grandmothers 1st anniversary mass and I have been refused it. (Even though I requested it off months ago)

Is there anything that allows you time off work for religious purposes. If I could even get the hour off for Mass it would help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

You say you requested it months ago, was it refused then or just left until now to be answered? you should have pushed for an answer long ago..

No you are not entitled to the time off, but if an hour or two would do the trick maybe a bit of a chat would help... See if you can offer to cover another shift or something in return..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This is really for family/cultural purposes, not religious ones.

You can pray for your grandmother, inside or outside Mass, at pretty much any time. The custom of the whole family getting together for a big family Mass at each anniversary is an Irish cultural thing, it's not a core part of Catholicism so shouldn't be called a "religious practice". (I'm assuming you're catholic from the use of the word "mass".)

I'm not aware of Irish law having any provision of leave for cultural purposes.

But as the last poster said, try negotiating, it's more likely to be effective than going for rights-based discussions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

JustMary wrote: »
    try negotiating, it's more likely to be effective than going for rights-based discussions.

This is a real pet peeve of mine.. Employees who come into the office banging on about their rights to have something before having a discussion on the topic.. it really puts them on the back foot as most of the time they havn't a clue what they're talking about and then my back is up...

People, get to know you're immediate manager and understand what they are about, in my experience 99% are interested in good working relationships and reaching compromise where possible..

Advertisement