Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering the veg patch with old carpet ?

Options
  • 14-12-2010 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

I saw something on TV today that suggested covering the veg plots with old carpet over winter to stop rain washing nutrients away.

Is that all you have to do ? I have some old carpet I was about to throw out and this would be a good use for it. So do I simply cut it into strips of the correct size and lay it over the plots ?

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

:)
    flynnboy wrote: »
    I saw something on TV today that suggested covering the veg plots with old carpet over winter to stop rain washing nutrients away.

Is that all you have to do ? I have some old carpet I was about to throw out and this would be a good use for it. So do I simply cut it into strips of the correct size and lay it over the plots ?

Thanks

Also dig in a heap load of seaweed and fresh manure.

Trust me on that.Manure and seaweed is brilliant,both rot in well and also help to heat the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

paddy147 wrote: »

Trust me on that.Manure and seaweed is brilliant,both rot in well and also help to heat the soil.

I wouldn't do that... put carpet over a bed... you will only give shelter to pest's ..Slugs and the like... And it's not very pleasing to the eye. :-)

Instead Grown a Green Mulch or as Paddy147 states Mulch with Seaweed/Manure etc...

You can also grow over winter Veg's Anything that keeps from having exposed soil over the Winter...

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭flynnboy

Thanks for the advice guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

paddy147 wrote: »

I would agree with the advice from Paddy147, especially if soil structure is open and crumbly. On the otherhand, if the area has not been used for some time, it has probably become a little compacted? Rough dig the area, and let the low temps break the soil down making it fine and crumbly and in ideal condition for planting up in the Spring.

Advertisement