Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updating my alarm to monitored

Options
  • 14-12-2010 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi,
    I've recently bought a house (built 1930s) with an existing functioning Aritech CS350 unmonitored alarm system in place. I want to update to a monitored alarm system. Although I've read quite a few threads here, I don't really know anything about alarm systems and suspect that each individual persons' requirements may be different so have decided to post myself.

Through eircom phonewatch, somebody came to view my current system. He says that as it stands it cannot be certified for monitoring, mainly because the sensors are not tampered.
    His proposal is to install a HKC hybrid alarm with wireless GSM dialler which apparently would then allow conversion to a wired system at a later date if required. He reasons that the current system seems to have many diffferent era sensors and thus the wiring is likely to have been problematic. Thus there may be problems down the road in using the current wiring for a wired monitored alarm.
    For 650 euro, he proposes to install the HKC hybrid wireless GSM dialler, panel, battery & 1 extra motion sensor (there is already 1 in place).
    Monitoring will then cost 180/year with a once yearly maintenance check costing a further 80euro/year (1st 12 batteries replaced free of charge).

My questions are: 1. having read a lot of negative stuff here about GSM diallers, how likely is it that burglars actually go and block them? my guy says that it is unlikely for the average burglar.
    2. Is his logic of going for hybrid system now sound?
    3. what about text message or voice dialler- is the extra expense worth it?
    4. can I cut out the middleman of paying him to monitor?

I would be grateful for answers to any of the above questions or indeed any general advice.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Through eircom phonewatch, somebody came to view my current system. He says that as it stands it cannot be certified for monitoring, mainly because the sensors are not tampered.
    The panel can not be certified to EN50131 & it can not accomodate alarm verification technology.
    His proposal is to install a HKC hybrid alarm with wireless GSM dialler which apparently would then allow conversion to a wired system at a later date if required. He reasons that the current system seems to have many diffferent era sensors and thus the wiring is likely to have been problematic. Thus there may be problems down the road in using the current wiring for a wired monitored alarm.
    I can't believe they are still recommending GSM as a safe & reliable form of monitoring. I will not take a GSM connection for central station monitoring & Garda response without the customer putting in writing they have been informed how easy they are to jam.
    Terrible advice, from a company who should know a lot more about monitoring.
    For 650 euro, he proposes to install the HKC hybrid wireless GSM dialler, panel, battery & 1 extra motion sensor (there is already 1 in place).
    Monitoring will then cost 180/year with a once yearly maintenance check costing a further 80euro/year (1st 12 batteries replaced free of charge).
    What about all the sensors that are not tampered????
    My questions are: 1. having read a lot of negative stuff here about GSM diallers, how likely is it that burglars actually go and block them? my guy says that it is unlikely for the average burglar.
    Your guy says???
    Would he be willing to put that in writing & stand over it if it does happen?
    I doubt it.
    It is incredible to believe that a guy trying to sell you an alarm is happy to say there is a risk ,but then dismisses it because this is what he wants to sell you. Did he even offer you the alternative of radio??
    The risk is very real &, from my sources ,its only a matter of time before the insurance companies catch up & GSM's get removed from the standards.
    2. Is his logic of going for hybrid system now sound?
    If the wiring is OK , I would go with a hybrid system with wired as the first option & wireless if required.
    3. what about text message or voice dialler- is the extra expense worth it?
    4. can I cut out the middleman of paying him to monitor?
    Going with HKC Securewave or the Europlex SigNET you could add a dialler that will send texts over your landline from Eircom or Vodafone lines.
    My preference on wireless would be the SigNET more features for the same price. It also has the ability to add wireless receivers into the keypads to get better range & coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

They are correct in saying it cant be certified and then monitored. It is an old alarm. The alarm would have to be replaced if you wanted a monitored alarm by a monitoring station. If you decided you wanted to keep the alarm you have you could install this GSM to self monitor the alarm. It can do either voice or text.

I have not come across a single incident when a jammer has being used on a residential house. Commercial is different, I have seen them used there.

I would say to install the hybrid panel, use the wired devices that you have if possible. Any devices with cabling issues will mean you will have to install wire free devices on them windows. The HKC wire free sensors can solve most cabling problems as they can also have wired sensors wired into the wire free sensor.

If you wanted to install a HKC GSM you would also have remote access to set/unset the alarm plus get a text in the event of an alarm activation. If you have got a phone line in the premises you could install a text or voice card on to the system for self monitoring also. Both the GSM plus text dialer will send a text to up to 19 phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ohlegmacnoleg

Thanks Koolkid & Altor.
    I suppose I should spell out what i'm looking for in a house alarm system...

When the alarm goes off, i want to be notified by text or phonecall.

If I'm not at home to switch the alarm off, then i want the gardai to go to the house.
    what are the gardai requirements for monitoring? i'm assuming they will not go to selfmonitored alarms.

what does tampered mean in relation to sensors?
    apologies if these seem like stupid questions.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

You need the alarm installed & certified to EN50131 by a licensed installer.
    You need to be monitored by a approved central station. Your account here would be set up by the installation company.
    Garda response is only provided on confirmed alarms (Activation of minimum 2 zones) and panic/duress alarms.
    Key-holders will be notified on all alarms confirmed or not.
    We ,and many other stations, provide additional service whereby you can stay on the phone to the control room while entering a property. If you walk in on something the status of the call changes to a Panic Alarm with priority Garda response.

Tampers are 24 hour circuits that monitor all devices for tampering whether the system is armed or not. These are a requirement for any monitored alarm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Thanks Koolkid & Altor.
    I suppose I should spell out what i'm looking for in a house alarm system...

When the alarm goes off, i want to be notified by text or phonecall.

If I'm not at home to switch the alarm off, then i want the gardai to go to the house.
    what are the gardai requirements for monitoring? i'm assuming they will not go to selfmonitored alarms.

what does tampered mean in relation to sensors?
    apologies if these seem like stupid questions.

Your welcome ohlegmacnoleg,

For response from the guards you will need a monitored alarm. You will also have a quicker response from the emergency services if you have smoke detectors, medical pendants installed on the system. Either way you will need keyholders to respond to the alarm activation along with the guards so they have access to the premises.

With regard self monitoring, you can have remote access to the panel for disarming the system, some system will allow you do this over the land line, text or the internet. All depends what suits your home.

• Advertisement

Locked!

Advertisement