Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice please.

Options
  • 14-12-2010 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Hi all I have been left a house by by my Grandmother who passed on a few weeks ago. It was my main place of living for 20 odd years, I still stay there , I have been informed today that I have to pay 25% of the value?? . In inheritance tax, I am unemployed ,away from my wife. wtf can I do. My car is registerd there both as I am not legaly seperated all my post goes to the maratial home.

Rgds

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You dont pay taxes on the first 40k if it from a grandparent, but yes you will have to pay 25% of the remaining value.
    I dont think getting mail there will make any difference, but you can phone the revenue and they will give exact details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Thank you Senna, I'm really miffed at this ,As I now live there again ,I don't have that kind of cash to spare , With the property market as is, even if I could sell it were would I live.

Rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

babyjames wrote: »

It was my main place of living for 20 odd years, I still stay there ,

How long have you been staying there?

Heres a link to the excemptions for the tax on houses:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat10.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭babyjames

Have been living back with my (late)Grandmother for 4 years next Febuary, I still love my wife but we can't get on, I pay the bills and everything else for her and my postal address is still the mariatal home, We still for all pusposes are a married couple i stay with her for Christmas and some weekends for my son

Heres a link to the excemptions for the tax on houses:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/cat/leaflets/cat10.html[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

On the plus side - with property prices still tumbling - its becoming worth less and less..... you'll have less inheritence tax to pay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement