Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a 6 month old on holiday ?

• 14-12-2010 9:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭

Hi All

I'm looking to take the small fellow with us for a weekend in London. The one thing that comes to mind is if we have to get taxis will that mean we will have to lug the car seat us or is there an alternative ?

We were just hoping to take a light buggy but that probably means we are restricted to public transport etc.

What do ye folks reckon? Anyone have any tips to make life easier for baby’s’ first holiday:)

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I've been to London 4 times and I've only got a taxi once, and that was because we had to as we were late for a show. The tube is overall buggy and baby friendly.

If it were me I would just get a lightweight pushchair and buy a weekly Oyster card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

^ No it is not!!!

You will have to carry the baby in one arm and the buggy in another while walking up a lot of stairs and escalators.

Nightmare.

You dont need carseats for taxis. They are exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

^ No it is not!!!

You will have to carry the baby in one arm and the buggy in another while walking up a lot of stairs and escalators.

Nightmare.

You dont need carseats for taxis. They are exempt.

Most tubes have elevators now too.

Most tubes have elevators now too.

I was just over there. A couple had elevators. If you look on the underground map, look at the wheelchair signs, those are the elevators, and they dont always work. And the elevators are not for all levels either.

I wont be going back there. Pain in the ass city if you have a buggy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Hmm. My cousin lives over there and goes everywhere on the tube with her little one in a pushchair. Maybe she knows the stops that are good and works around it?

Another option so would be a sling or carrier.

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Hmm. My cousin lives over there and goes everywhere on the tube with her little one in a pushchair. Maybe she knows the stops that are good and works around it?

Another option so would be a sling or carrier.

I would definitely use the sling or carrier for a six month old. My little one is three so hes a bit big for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

London taxi cabs are really handy, they only have 4 seats (1 fold up seat rear facing and 3 front facing) and all are wheelchair friendly, which means they are buggy friendly too. It can get a bit expensive using them all the time (as we did but they are so handy, loads of space in them too.

http://www.google.ie/images?hl=en&biw=1276&bih=817&gbv=2&tbs=isch:1&&sa=X&ei=Lu4ITbz_DYu3hAesxryaDw&ved=0CDEQvwUoAQ&q=inside+of+a+london+taxi+cab&spell=1

We found the hop on hop off bus great, loved it, very very handy. Lunch at Gordon ramseys retraunt is 30 pound per person but you have to book in advance drinks are expensive. Dont bother with the london eye or the aquarium, the london dungeons would scare the little one so dont go there either. Not sure if babies are allowed in west end shows but the shows are fantastic and not to be missed, cheaper ticket sales in leister square. If i was you and you want to see a bit of london do go on the big red bus hop off and hop on, tickets last 24 hours and cost i think 25 £ each the red line has tour guides, you get to see all the best bits of london and can hop off at any point and hop back on again an hour or 2 later.

http://www.bigbustours.com/eng/london/custompage.aspx?id=london_sightseeing_tour&gclid=CKm3kL3a7qUCFQ4f4QodRUHxnw

We never used the tube as my hubby wont go on one since 7/7 too much hustle and bustle (we did go on the paris metro and that was fab)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

We went to london with our 6 month old and the black taxis were great, we had a maclaren and we could just wheel it on and off of the taxi, it fits perfectly in the back with the little one still inside none the wiser, it was great, we used the tube too which was fine too but some stations didn't have a lift or escalators but most did!!!

Advertisement