Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rushden 'keeper Dale Roberts dies ages 24

• 14-12-2010 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭

Breaking news of the sudden death of Rushden keeper Dale Roberts.

No details as of yet but it's a very sad thing to hear :(

RIP and my thoughts go out to the family

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,951 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Terrible to hear of the death of someone so young, right before Christmas too. :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

very sad news. My heart goes out to his family friends and team mates. especially this time of year and so young.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Awful stuff. :(

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

They club havent said what happened.
    http://www.thediamondsfc.com/page/NewsDetail/0,,10784~2244403,00.html
    very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

It's his fiancé that John Terrys brother alledegly was messing around with last year.

Sad stuff and I hope he didn't take his own life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Reports are circulating in Sunderland that he did indeed take his own life.

He's a big Sunderland fan and used to go to games regulary before he was started playing the game seriously himself.

RIP Dale. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Oh no, right before Christmas, the poor guy. That's far too young for anyone to go.

RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Awful to hear.
    RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Horrible news

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I hate the thought of anyone being so lonely and down that they take their own life, something needs to be done to give young men like this an outlet and the support they need when depression hits. RIP, thie is awful for his family especially at Christmas.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Oh dear. Tragic story. RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Early judgements here but I imagine it does indeed have something to do with his former "fiancée". If the rumours are true, well it indeed does make me sick to my stomach.

RIP Dale. Such a sad way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

darsar wrote: »
    It's his fiancé that John Terrys brother alledegly was messing around with last year.

I knew I recognised the same from somewhere when I saw the thread title.

Very sad news. RIP.

flahavaj wrote: »
    I hate the thought of anyone being so lonely and down that they take their own life, something needs to be done to give young men like this an outlet and the support they need when depression hits. RIP, thie is awful for his family especially at Christmas.:(

24 is a young age. For most footballers, football is all they know. No other skills and their only income is football. The football world is a big one. Everybody knows everything about each other. Can you imagine being known for and what everybody is thinking about you. Every team you play against every week, the players know you as the one that was cheated on with John Terrys brother.

That's hard to get away from in that profession. So sad to lose a son to some mother and father at 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Very sad news.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

RIP, such a loss to friends and family when it's so close to Xmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

RIP :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

darsar wrote: »

Jesus Christ words fail me for that shower.

It's just as well that they fail me because they would probably shatter several charter rules.

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I knew I recognised the same from somewhere when I saw the thread title.

Very sad news. RIP.

Family of dirt. Paul Terry was playing on Dale's team when it happened. It was only May of this year it came out. Seemed alot longer.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/2010/05/20/just-like-his-brother-england-star-john-terry-s-brother-paul-caught-having-affair-with-team-mate-s-girlfriend-86908-22271680/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Was wondering how long it would take to start blameing one or both the Terrys :rolleyes:

What of the tarty ex? shes the one with the connection to the guy, fault lies with her for any infidelity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Stekelly wrote: »
    Was wondering how long it would take to start blameing one or both the Terrys :rolleyes:

What of the tarty ex? shes the one with the connection to the guy, fault lies with her for any infidelity.

Aye, all her fault.

Nothing to do with his team mate.

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Aye, all her fault.

Nothing to do with his team mate.

Well going by the way people are reacting it hadnt anythign to do with her and it was all Paul Terry. Bit of balance isnt a bad thing you know. As I said team mate or nothing, she is the one with the connection to him, relationship wise. Calous as it sounds, her marital status is of little concern to the guy giving her one on the side. His problem is his own GF/Wife etc if he has one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Fizman wrote: »

It's just as well that they fail me because they would probably shatter several charter rules.

Agree that both the girl and Paul Terry were in the wrong, but very soon to be pointing the finger when we dont no the circumstances.

Condolences to his family & friends, RIP

His problem is his own GF/Wife etc if he has one.

Or to his Team mate

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Or to his Team mate

Not really no. Its a guy in his job, nothing more. He might well never speak to him and not like him at all.

Nobody blamed either Terry. Merely pointed out the fact that the family is not a very nice family.

Of course the fiancé is as much to blame. You'd think he'd share the blame considering he was his teammate and knew exactly who she was.

Not really no. Its a guy in his job, nothing more. He might well never speak to him and not like him at all.

Kind of makes it hard to do his job if doesnt like or never speaks to his goal keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Well going by the way people are reacting it hadnt anythign to do with her and it was all Paul Terry. Bit of balance isnt a bad thing you know. As I said team mate or nothing, she is the one with the connection to him, relationship wise. Calous as it sounds, her marital status is of little concern to the guy giving her one on the side. His problem is his own GF/Wife etc if he has one.

Nobody here would deny that yes, from Paul Terry's point of view, his only problem is on his own end of things. That's completely irrelevant imo though. He "allegedly" did the dirt with a team mates missus. That in my book makes you (if true) a dirty rat b&st&rd and the family appear to have little or no morals and therefore give little fcuk about anyone else.

Or so it would seem at least.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article2344512.ece

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭heavyballs

bull,if you play soccer to a professional or semi pro level you would not say that
    i'm not saying everyone gets on but it's more like a family than a job

in a lot of jobs people come in to work and just go through the motions,
    in pro football you have to stick together otherwise you're relegated and lose pay,your job and any chance of a solid consistant income

and besides there are some unwritten rules for those who have morals and not riding your team-mates bird is one

Fizman wrote: »

I thought the exact same when I saw the surname.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Jaysus lads this is not Paul Terry's fault. Not even remotely. Thousands of people do the dirt and have the dirt done on them every day, and the majority of them find out and don't resort to such drastic measures. This lad obviously had some sort of depression or other mental instability that meant something would have sent him over the edge eventually, whether it be a cheating other half or otherwise and that's the real tragedy here. There shouldn't even be a discussion of Terry in here, it's really not relevant. RIP, its a very sad story.

Tom_Brady wrote: »
    Jaysus lads this is not Paul Terry's fault. Not even remotely. Thousands of people do the dirt and have the dirt done on them every day, and the majority of them find out and don't resort to such drastic measures. This lad obviously had some sort of depression or other mental instability that meant something would have sent him over the edge eventually, whether it be a cheating other half or otherwise and that's the real tragedy here. There shouldn't even be a discussion of Terry in here, it's really not relevant. RIP, its a very sad story.

are you a doctor?how can you use the word 'obviously',people commit suicide for numerous reasons

i for one think it's pretty relevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

heavyballs wrote: »
    are you a doctor?how can you use the word 'obviously',people commit suicide for numerous reasons

i for one think it's pretty relevant

No you don't, it's just a pathetic attempt by you to take a thinly veiled dig at John Terry by claiming his brother is responsible for another man killing himself. If a guy killed himself because I was shagging his girlfriend, I would not feel one bit responsible. It's a tragic story and very upsetting, but IF the situation with his girlfriend/wife/fiancé is why he resorted to this (and that's a big if, we don't even know) then his inability to cope with a situation because of his mental state and his lack of seeking help is to blame, not Paul Terry.

No you don't, it's just a pathetic attempt by you to take a thinly veiled dig at John Terry by claiming his brother is responsible for another man killing himself. If a guy killed himself because I was shagging his girlfriend, I would not feel one bit responsible. It's a tragic story and very upsetting, but IF the situation with his girlfriend/wife/fiancé is why he resorted to this (and that's a big if, we don't even know) then his inability to cope with a situation because of his mental state and his lack of seeking help is to blame, not Paul Terry.

you need to relax and read back,all i said was i beleive the Terry(i didn't even mention JT)connection was relevant,also quote me where I stated that JT's bro was responsible

also where's my ,'thinly veiled dig at John Terry?'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

I had a dig at Paul Terry but not in anyway was I having a go at John Terry. Nobody lost their life due to John's interactions with anybody. Fact is that they (Paul and his former fiancée) broke this poor chap up. Sometimes losing somebody you love means more than life itself.

You can't blame the guy for not seeking help. Certain things define you as a person and being cheated on definitely changes you, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. When your depressed the last thing you want to do is drag yourself into somebody's office who you don't know and start opening up to them.

His ex-fiancée obviously has most of the blame for any potential depression brought on due to the affair. Hopelessness, helplessness, worthlessness etc. all fall under the depression spectrum. A general loss of interest in life ensues.

It takes two to tango TB. Depression is a fairly touchy subject for myself as my brother suffers from it, so maybe I'm going OTT. But, I don't see how neither of them are to blame. If I done something like that I would feel partly responsible and I would be damned sure people would rightly lay blame at my feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Lads I really don't think it's appropriate to be making assumptions about why this poor young man felt he had to end his life.Who the hell are we to say what caused him to do this it could have been anything.You never know what's going on i someone else's mind.

I'm pretty sure the forum has been set up to pay respects and discuss this horrible tragedy,not bicker over a stupid argument about john terry and his brother and where to point the blame.

So sad for a family at christmas,RIP

its_phil wrote: »
    Lads I really don't think it's appropriate to be making assumptions about why this poor young man felt he had to end his life.Who the hell are we to say what caused him to do this it could have been anything.You never know what's going on i someone else's mind.

I'm pretty sure the forum has been set up to pay respects and discuss this horrible tragedy,not bicker over a stupid argument about john terry and his brother and where to point the blame.

So sad for a family at christmas,RIP

exactly,and that's what we're doing,

No you don't, it's just a pathetic attempt by you to take a thinly veiled dig at John Terry by claiming his brother is responsible for another man killing himself.

Come on Tom, no-one's having a dig. It's when we saw the surname, gut reaction. JT's got a reputation off the field, it's to be expected.
    If a guy killed himself because I was shagging his girlfriend, I would not feel one bit responsible.

Cold. If I was in that situation I'd feel very responsible. I'd be very afraid to go to the funeral, and I'd expect fireworks in the dressing room too. Human nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

0,,10784~7196251,00.jpg

Not a bad looking chap

But his missus has a ride off this weird looking thing?

Terry%2C_Paul.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Not at the club long on a contract, played on a non contract/loan basis to start, was first choice at Diamonds last year, probably would have been this season but got injured playing with England C team. Popular at Nene Park.

Very sad news. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

heavyballs wrote: »
    exactly,and that's what we're doing,

discussing why he took his own life is not paying your respescts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Absolutely tragic :( RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Whippersnapper

RIP.

(Random point: I didn't realise that Paul Terry's wife is the sister of Paul Konchesky.)

its_phil wrote: »
    discussing why he took his own life is not paying your respescts.

i would accept that if the thread title was,
    'Pay your respects to.......',it's not so it's open for general discussion i would have thought.
    If there was a mod warning 'do not mention Mr.Terry' i would respect that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Looks like the lad hung himself. Tragic way to die. It'll haunt his family and all involved for the rest of their lives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I know, a terrible way to go, I feel really sorry for how he must be feeling, thoughts are with his family and friends. This article kind of confirms it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338852/Rushden-Diamonds-goalkeeper-Dale-Roberts-hung-fiances-affair.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Thats what drug dealing cheats drive you to

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

RIP.

Sad time for the family, my sympathies go out to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Nailz wrote: »
    I know, a terrible way to go, I feel really sorry for how he must be feeling, thoughts are with his family and friends. This article kind of confirms it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1338852/Rushden-Diamonds-goalkeeper-Dale-Roberts-hung-fiances-affair.html

I really wish tabloids hired a few people with morals , they could have at least waited until the guy was buried before they start printing this crap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement