Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noob questions: Paint thinning, paint flow - Help!

Options
  • 14-12-2010 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

Need some advice please:

A little while back I bought an Airbrush, but am having considerable trouble getting the paint to flow.

Especially with Tamiya paint. Even after three or four drops of (Tamiya) thinner in a bottle, stirred reasonably thoroughly, the paint just will not move at less than 25-30 PSI,… which then results in a sort of ‘speckled’ effect… not very smooth looking....and the Airbrush also seems to get gummed up very quickly too.

Metallic paints also seem to be pretty stubborn, regardless of brand.

I’ve made sure the airbrush is cleaned thoroughly..

So whilst it’s probably a very noobish thing, I’m wondering what the issue is?

1) I’m not thinning the paint properly.

2) My airbrush (Ab-200 from everythingaibrush.com)
    and or air compressor (AB-AS06 from the same company) aren’t good enough?

3) something else?

Like I said very noobish questions, but I was hoping someone with more experience could suggest what I’m doing wrong.

Thanks for your patience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

you arent thinning the paint enough.
    usually with tamyia paint i would use about 3:7 paint:thinner for the matt colours. Maybe 50 50 for the gloss.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,513 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

agree with above. Thin it much more

Advertisement