Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gave up dog but wants to visit??

• 14-12-2010 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

We have taken on a family member's dog, (they couldn't cope with him - too boisterous) and he's been here for just over a month. He gradually integrated with our other dogs, with a lot of hard work. Now this family member want's to come down over xmas to see the dog. In my own opinion I don't think it would be fair on the dog, and would only confuse him, but I wanted to get an idea of what others think?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd tell them to steet clear for quite a while, you say the dog's settling and integrating well, by having them visit it could only do more harm than good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If the dog had a hard time settling int he first place, it may be a bit stressful for him to have his former owner visit so soon to being rehomed. Also, over Christmas everyone and everything is a bit all over the place so this may add to the dogs stress. I would ask the person to wait until at least after New Years, for the dogs sake. It gives the dog a bit more time to settle in and it would be at a time that is more calm.

Some dogs would be fine with it and get over a visit very quickly but others could get themselves into an awful state - it all depends on the dog. If you think it's not the best idea for the dog, then go with your instincts and wait for another little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

Send them a video and tell them that will have to do at the moment. They are probably just concerned and miss him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

They are probably just concerned and miss him.

Or they were told he's 'gone to a big farm in the country.....';)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lotsadots

Or they were told he's 'gone to a big farm in the country.....';)

Just an acre, but we do live in the country;)

Thanks for all the replies, I'll go my with gut and try to persuade my oh to let them know to leave it for a while.

• Advertisement
Advertisement