Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Installing a vision v5-508 Multiswitch

• 14-12-2010 10:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭

Which has 1 terrestrial imput and 4 LNB control signal imputs v/Lo, H/Lo, v/Hi, H/Hi, I plan on connecting a Sky Quad LNB with 4 cables to the mutiswitch imputs, How do i determin which of the 4 cables from the quad LNB connects to the different H/V band with hi and low for each band imputs on the switch? Will i need to use a horizon sat meter to find each output from quad before i connect to switch? or is there a special type of LNB which should be used to connect to the v5-508 multiswitch, thanks for replys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

ranger4 wrote: »
    Which has 1 terrestrial imput and 4 LNB control signal imputs v/Lo, H/Lo, v/Hi, H/Hi, I plan on connecting a Sky Quad LNB with 4 cables to the mutiswitch imputs, How do i determin which of the 4 cables from the quad LNB connects to the different H/V band with hi and low for each band imputs on the switch? Will i need to use a horizon sat meter to find each output from quad before i connect to switch? or is there a special type of LNB which should be used to connect to the v5-508 multiswitch, thanks for replys.

That's a cascadable multiswitch which is meant for a complex, multi-dwelling distribution system, not for home use.

It's not clear from the specs if it supports a Quad LNB (4x universal output) - check the manual/documentation. It's possible it supports a Quattro LNB (4x fixed output) only. You should consider getting it replaced with a more suitable model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭ranger4

Apogee wrote: »
    That's a cascadable multiswitch which is meant for a complex, multi-dwelling distribution system, not for home use.

It's not clear from the specs if it supports a Quad LNB (4x universal output) - check the manual/documentation. It's possible it supports a Quattro LNB (4x fixed output) only. You should consider getting it replaced with a more suitable model.

Is the different outputs with the Quattro LNB marked on the lnb or would a meter like the horizon sat meter have to be used to determin different voltages and band outputs, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

They're marked.

You should still consider getting a multiswitch more suited to your needs i.e. a 5 input, 8 output non-cascadable multswitch which will operate off a Quad LNB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Some quattros outputs are labelled, some aren't, some are colour coded to match the corresponding inputs on the switch, fercarro (sp) are, cant remember off hand if vision are.

Thanks for info, actualy installing for a customer who has own equipment, will i have to seperate both satellite and terestrial output by use of splitter connected to f-connector wallplate, thanks again for info Lads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Sam the Aerialman

kbell wrote: »
    Some quattros outputs are labelled, some aren't, some are colour coded to match the corresponding inputs on the switch, fercarro (sp) are, cant remember off hand if vision are.

All the vision gear is labeled on the quattro and at the head end. You will still need a good quality satellite meter do determine the correct polarisation when working at the head end. Check the dc block switch because you're not powering any further multiswitches in a chain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I use either white PVC tape and biro or else 4 colours PVC tape when putting in the cable from Quattro to Multiswitch.

With an EMP Centauri "Profi" or other switch that can take a Quad, the ordering of the 4 cables / 4 Quad ports don't matter as the Multiswitch sets each of the 4 ports.

Most Multiswitches use Quattros though which are fixed. HV, HH, LV, LH on the four ports. Either lettered or identified in manual/Tech sheet.

Thanks guys for replys, Going to meter out each cable and connect using colour code to quattro lnb,Each TV room has a double f-connector wall plate with 1 cable for each connection,could i just connect both cables to multiswitch and in each tv room connect one cable to sat and other directly to Digi TV RF which should contain non powerd rte digital signal from outdoor digital aerial connected to Terrestrial imput on multiswitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Maybe you should get a professional in to ensure your customer will get a satisfactory outcome?

fat-tony wrote: »
    Maybe you should get a professional in to ensure your customer will get a satisfactory outcome?

Simple question i think? would i need to seperate voltage from multiswitch which contains sat and analog aerial with voltage pass switch before i connect to tv??

• Advertisement

Apogee pointed out that the system you're attempting to install is meant for a complex, multi-dwelling system. Probably not an ideal system for learning on.

fat-tony wrote: »
    Apogee pointed out that the system you're attempting to install is meant for a complex, multi-dwelling system. Probably not an ideal system for learning on.

20 years installing mostly herstman,triax equipment for bbc-fta and distrubution mostly for small domestic and small buissness, just wnated few pointers with the multiswitch, cheers.

Fair enough - you just didn't come across as experienced in the trade. I would have thought you would have been familiar with the principles behind quad and quattro LNBs and distribution of signals to multiple outlets. No problem with helping out someone who is doing a self-install.

ranger4 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for replys, Going to meter out each cable and connect using colour code to quattro lnb,Each TV room has a double f-connector wall plate with 1 cable for each connection,could i just connect both cables to multiswitch and in each tv room connect one cable to sat and other directly to Digi TV RF which should contain non powerd rte digital signal from outdoor digital aerial connected to Terrestrial imput on multiswitch.

You only need one cable for TV and Sat. You need a TV/Sat diplexer at the room.

if doing two cables for PVR then two diplexers.

I got a double gang size wallplate with the diplexers pokeing through and deep box to allow f-connector to "com" of diplexer in the box.

I used "pairs" of Multiswitch so one PVR coax was Sat + Radio & TV and the other coax was Broadband + Sat (you need passive terrestrial port Multiswitch so that the 5MHz to 65MHz Broadband return works).

If no broadband coax then you don't need pairs of multiswitches. But you should put a Diplexer on each outlet.

watty wrote: »
    You only need one cable for TV and Sat. You need a TV/Sat diplexer at the room.

if doing two cables for PVR then two diplexers.

I got a double gang size wallplate with the diplexers pokeing through and deep box to allow f-connector to "com" of diplexer in the box.

I used "pairs" of Multiswitch so one PVR coax was Sat + Radio & TV and the other coax was Broadband + Sat (you need passive terrestrial port Multiswitch so that the 5MHz to 65MHz Broadband return works).

If no broadband coax then you don't need pairs of multiswitches. But you should put a Diplexer on each outlet.

Will wire one coax cable from multiswitch to tv/sat Diplexer then feed to sat and tv, thanks for info.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Apogee wrote: »

What??? Show me from the spec why this unit isn't suitable for home use.
    As for supporting a Quattro LNB, is that not the Industry Standard for multi-switches?

I assumed he meant replace Quad with more suitable (and more reliable) Quattro.

Lets be charitable. Apogee is pretty expert and like most experts sometimes posts are a little terse.

Or perhaps he meant that a simpler Multiswitch would be cheaper. I don't know.

Advertisement