Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CFL lighting

• 14-12-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

I changed over to CFL bulbs in my home, and discarded all the old bulbs. Problem now, is, I just can't get used to the dull yellowy glow of these damned CFL'S. Even the strongest wattage is not nearly as good as a good old 150W bulb especially for reading in the living room and other tasks. Anyone know where I could purchase a few of the old style bulbs as these CFL'S... I'm finding kinda depressing

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Try LED lights, they are just as bright, if not brighter. I believe CFL bulbs are being taken off the market and will be illegal in Europe soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

There is a big difference in brands as well. I find the Philips to give off the best 'whitest' light, while some of the cheaper ones you get at the 2 Euro shop and other places can give off a yellow or bluish coloured light.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

150w? Dam never saw one that bright, thought they had all been 40/60/100?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

phill106 wrote: »

your living in the dark ages

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Most of the house is CFL's here, never a problem, can't really see the difference to the old style bulbs, but maybe I'm just used to it.;)
    LED lights are handy in that they would only be 3.5 watts or thereabouts, feck all really.
    The problem with them is that they give out really white (I mean REALLY white), very sterile,cold light.
    They are grand as auxiliary spotlights, in the garage or the shed, but if you where to use them on their own they'd make the room very cold looking.
    Right now have some halogen spots, CFL's and some LED spots in the living room, but with the CFL's it all balances out.
    Also, CFL's take a few minutes to get up to brightness, if you turn them on initially they look very dull but after 5-10 minutes they are as bright as filament bulbs.
    For that reason you are better off with the old style bulbs in rooms where you only turn the light on and off for short periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

phill106 wrote: »
    Dope growers use up to 300w. :eek:

ohtg04.jpg

Advertisement