Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To drop to Ordinary level irish?

• 14-12-2010 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hey there,

I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I've been doing Higher level Irish since Junior cert (got a C in that). We had a shockingly bad teacher last year so we've basically only started doing real work this year with a new teacher. She's a great teacher but I think it's too little to late for me. My spelling is poor and I think if I was to dedicate the time needed to learn those essays, vocab, poetry, pros and stair well before the leaving (Or indeed the mocks) I'd have insufficient time to study subjects that I want to do very well in (English, History, Music). I'm already doing ordinary level maths. In the Leaving I'm aiming to get something around 400 - 420 points with a view to doing an arts degree. Will dropping to only 5 honours subjects greatly lessen my chances of getting these points?

Any advice any of you could give me would be much appreciated.
    Cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'm also considering dropping Higher Level Irish, not because I'm not able for it, but because of the amount of work involved. It is a hefty curriculum and with 7 other HL subjects under my belt already I feel it's worth the drop. Even so though, I'm going to hold out until the mocks to see what happens.

Unless you are really doing badly in the subject, it might be worth holding onto until the Mocks to see what happens. It is a tough subject though if you haven't got a good base on grammar. Remember that a C3 is equal to an A1 at OL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭niamhallen

Do drop. Best decision i've ever made. Such a weight off my shoulders:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Keep in mind A1s and A2s and very difficult to get. I've corrected for years and when my students move down they often say, 'Ah, sure I'll get an A in ordinary.'
    It's just not that easy unfortunately so I usually recommend people stay up unless they are really struggling. Also new course great for people who can speak well as Gaeilge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

I dropped to pass straight after the junior cert, after getting a c. I knew I wanted to engineering, so I didn't need it. Make sure you go down to the not so serious pass class, so you don't do much and not end up in "Top Pass" like me where you have to do shíté loads of comhrá's and letters. Argghhh.... such a waste of time. And then there's still the oral.....

Wonder if I could go in and ask the examiner to tell me once i've passed, so I can leave? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 lilyos

First of all you have to bare in mind what points you need and how many higher level subjects you are already doing and finally what college restrictions are. I know from experience it is hard...i have dropped down and yes the load is a lot easier but i find that i get lazy about the work and am not doing as well as i should. I'd say if you are doing the new course...stick with higher level...also if your average grade is a high D or a low C then stick with it....anything lower work a bit harder. Remember the oral will be worth 40% and you will almost be guaranteed a good chunk of marks from the sliocht....all you need to do is look over these and practice them to get full marks on them...they are simple once u get used to them. Hope this advice helps...if it doesn't talk to your guidance councellor or teacher about it!! Good luck!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

would you consider after your Arts degree, like many Arts students maybe doing a post grad for Primary Teaching? If there's any chance you might consider it then keep it on

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

I wouldn't considering how difficult it is to get an A in ordinary, just look at the statistics. Same oral at the end of the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I dropped it at the start of this year (6th year) and it was one of the best decisions I made. :) I can virtually ignore it now. I got a D in my JC though, and I'm doing 6 honours. I think it's very reasonable to get them points if you put in the work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mede

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have question regarding dropping to ordinary irish from higher.

Is it possible to drop to ordinary after you have signed the sheet with your subjects and levels from the Dep. of Education??? I haven't done the irish LC oral yet and i know you cannot drop irish on the day to ordinary if you have done the higher oral.

Would anyone know any info about this or have done it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81 ✭✭luciemc

Drop if you think it's too much work and will take away from your other subjects. I got an A in my junior cert but dropping to pass was the best choice I have ever made. Class is boring but a break from my other subjects if nothing else! I found honours very time consuming but I do agree with the rest- don't rely on getting an A in pass... unless you plan on studying a lot for your oral? which might defeat the purpose of dropping in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Mede wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have question regarding dropping to ordinary irish from higher.

Is it possible to drop to ordinary after you have signed the sheet with your subjects and levels from the Dep. of Education??? I haven't done the irish LC oral yet and i know you cannot drop irish on the day to ordinary if you have done the higher oral.

Would anyone know any info about this or have done it?
    Yup. :) Let them know if you wanna drop now, it'd be easier. But even if you have signed for a HL paper, you can drop and take an OL paper on the day of the exam if you want. :)

They are only used to determine how much papers they'll need and stuff. Usually, they send exam centres far above the amount of papers they need (I took loads of the spare papers last when I was attending exams as I only had 2009 exam papers).

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

The oral is a common exam, makes no difference which level you are doing as they do not know that. I asked my teacher, she examines it every year. You can change on the day but might want to be sure not everyone will be doing it as they may not have enough of papers.

Advertisement